• After more than 15 years covering everything Apple, it’s with a heavy heart we announce that we will no longer be publishing new content on iMore and the iMore forums will be closing as of November 1st, 2024.

Best tablet for an artist

Illustrator Joe

Jan 28, 2013
Visit site
I will give you a little background about what I need. The college I graduated from started free classes on Sundays for Alumni for life drawing classes. For me the only way to benefit it to work digitally. I have a laptop and a Wacom tablet but the laptop is fried. It's a MacBook pro OG and has many issues. I work on a Mac Pro daily at work and iMac at home. But for sketching on the go purposes I would like a mobile tablet.

What I need:
10 inch screen size
Pressure sensitivity
Good drawing app selection

Options that I can afford:
Note 10.1 (2013)
Note 10.1 (2014) refurbished
Microsoft Surface Pro (refurb)
Some model of the iPad - possibly refurb

I can't afford the Note 12.2 and I think the 10 in screen will be plenty. I can't afford the Surface 2. I think the original pro will suffice.

-I know there is Wacom tech in the note 10.1 but I have heard of it lagging when drawing
-I like the idea of the Surface Pro and having the whole Windows desktop OS at my disposal.
-I have heard the Surface doesn't have palm rejection do you guys think this is an issue?
-Android has Sketchbook pro, Microsoft only has the Sketchbook express app. What isn't available in express?
-I heard the pressure sensitivity doesn't work on many apps and programs on the Surface Pro
-the thin stylus on the Note 10.1 models concerns me a bit. I like a fatter digitizer.
-I know the older model of the Note 10.1 is on an older version of Android but when it comes to drawing is there much different in the 2014 model, worth the extra cash?

If I have more questions I will add them.

I know this is iMore but please try to be objective. I am trying to get the best artists tablet for my money. If you have had any or all of these devices and especially if you are an artist I would love your input.

ಠ益ಠ

Illustrator Joe

Jan 28, 2013
Visit site
I originally posted this on Android Central and WPC. On AC the few responses were pushing me to iPad over the other options I was looking into. On WPC they are pushing me towards the Surface Pro. I currently am leaning towards the Surface Pro but I thought since someone at AC was pushing me towards the iPad I thought I would check with you guys. Here are some other thoughts:

-I will not dismiss the iPad and I will do some more research. I just could never get over the fact that is did not have pressure sensitivity. I always felt like I was finger painting or drawing with a fat crayon. I couldn't get past the all the styluses I tried were too big covered the fine details I was trying to make.
-The person at AC was pushing me towards the app called "Procreate"
-The surface pro can run full programs like Photoshop and Sketchbook Pro, but they aren't necessarily tablet optimized
-I really like Sketchbook Pro, android has it, iOS has it, there is not Windows App version. Bummer

AgentHeracles

Sep 7, 2011
Visit site
The Surface Pro is capable of showing desktop Windows unlike the Surface RT. Good luck with your search and let us know which you picked and why.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
Maybe I missed it in your first post, but if you don't have a Wacom pad already, forget all of this tablet stuff and get that...I know the portability is easy to buy into with the tablets, but take it from experience (both me and my sister)...NONE of the tablets, even with the good apps, even come close to the precise nature and accuracy of even the cheaper wacoms.

iOS Gravity

Sep 24, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for your honesty. After lots of research that seems to be the best choice. The only downside I can find is it has pretty poor battery life.

The surface is basically a windows computer in the size of a tablet. I'd recommend a portable charging pack if you won't have access to a charging port.

Elizabeth2

Jan 27, 2013
Visit site
The only tablet an artist would want would be a Wacom. It is what it is designed for. They are amazing

Sent from my iPhone using iMore Forums

Illustrator Joe

Jan 28, 2013
Visit site
The only tablet an artist would want would be a Wacom. It is what it is designed for. They are amazing

Sent from my iPhone using iMore Forums

Well if you want a drawing tablet that has a full functioning OS integrated your options are limited. The Samsung note series uses Wacom technology. So does the Microsoft Surface Pro. I have owned 3 Wacom intuos tablets they are fantastic. Wacom does make their own mobile tablet with an OS but the Android version is $1500 and the windows version is up to $3000. It's called the Wacom companion. It's a little pricey.

ಠ益ಠ

Illustrator Joe

Jan 28, 2013
Visit site
The RT does have "desktop mode" but I don't get the point of it as you can't install stuff many programs that need it.

My issue wasn't that the RT didn't have access to full desktop programs it was that it did not have pressure sensitivity.

Went with the Surface Pro. Got a good deal for Factory Refurbished with 1 year warranty on ebay. Added a surface keyboard for only $30 all free shipping. :D

Thanks for the input of the people above!

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shanefreedman