Ban app release notes that only mention bug fixes and 'improvements'

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
As someone who spends a good amount of time in both the App Store Connect and the Google Play Developer Console, often the only update is an enhancement or a bug fix. Poorly written code could have been the culprit and no developer is going to enter “fixed poorly written code” in the What’s New in this release section therein. There are times when apps have to be upgraded to meet a change brought on by Apple or Google or to be compatible with the latest Apple or Google operating system. In my opinion, “performance enhancements” and/or “bug fixes” are sufficient.

Last edited:

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
As someone who spends a good amount of time in both the App Store Connect and the Google Play Developer Console, often the only update is an enhancement or a bug fix. Poorly written code could have been the culprit and no developer is going to enter “fixed poorly written code” in the What’s New in this release section therein. There are times when apps have to be upgraded to meet a change brought on by Apple or Google or to be compatible with the latest Apple or Google operating system. In my opinion, “performance enhancements” and/or “bug fixes” are sufficient.

IF, that's all it is. What I hate is when it says, "We're always making changes and improvements to make (insert app) better for you." Facebook has been notorious with that. I think they started it, and many others now say that same thing with each update. They never tell what new features, changes, etc. But, I get bug fixes. I do find it odd to see "bug fixes" on beta app updates in Testflight. I mean, how are we supposed to check those, if we don't know what bugs they refer to? TapaTalk does that.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
IF, that's all it is. What I hate is when it says, "We're always making changes and improvements to make (insert app) better for you." Facebook has been notorious with that. I think they started it, and many others now say that same thing with each update. They never tell what new features, changes, etc. But, I get bug fixes. I do find it odd to see "bug fixes" on beta app updates in Testflight. I mean, how are we supposed to check those, if we don't know what bugs they refer to? TapaTalk does that.

I understand and can see both sides. Still, people who frequent places like this isn’t the typical user. A good portion of society have their smartphones set to auto update apps so they clearly aren’t interested in the details. Others see the updates and then select the “Update All” option. Unless a pop up displays the details, those users they’re not going to flock to the App Store to read the details, in my opinion.

Wotchered

Oct 29, 2013
Visit site
I always read the notes on updates,and always disappointed with the lack of detail. But I suppose they’re never going to tell us they’ve found a wonderful new way to steal your data and you should install it right now !

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2