• After more than 15 years covering everything Apple, it’s with a heavy heart we announce that we will no longer be publishing new content on iMore and the iMore forums will be closing as of November 1st, 2024.

Automatically Turn off Email Notifications in the evening and back on in the AM

TxGoatHead

Aug 7, 2012
Visit site
I am working to make family life a bigger priority and am hoping someone can help me with this.

Is there an automated way I can turn off email notifications in the evening at a certain time and turn them back on in the morning?

I do not want to stop texts or phone calls, and I would like emails to continue flowing, but I would like the device to automatically turn off the notifications.

Any help provided would be greatly appreciated.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Unless whatever mail app you’re using supports that function, I’m unaware of a way to do what you’re asking.

anon(50597)

Trusted Member
Dec 2, 2008
Visit site
Why can’t you just ignore them? If you use a unique notification sound for emails you know it should be something to ignore as opposed to a text sound.

Lee_Bo

Apr 6, 2016
Visit site
I don’t think there’s a way to silence notifications for one service and not for others.

My suggestion, which is what I do, is to disable notifications for email. There’s no time limit on this, just turn off notifications for email. You’ll have to manually check your email to see new emails. It’s a pain, but that’s what I do for work emails only.

EdwinG

Ambassador
Mar 10, 2012
Visit site
As Just_Me_D alluded to, you can use an email app that supports it.

I personally use the Outlook app that has its own do not disturb feature for my work email, and I have nothing to complain about.

TxGoatHead

Aug 7, 2012
Visit site
Thank you for your answer. I am using the standard iPhone Mail app. I tried to set it up using Shortcuts, as well as IFTTT, but neither can do what I was hoping for.

TxGoatHead

Aug 7, 2012
Visit site
Thank you, ignoring them is what I normally do, but the notification tends to irritate my SO.
Especially when we are doing something as a family.

TxGoatHead

Aug 7, 2012
Visit site
Thank you, this is what I have been doing for the last week. In order to facilitate it, I have set a reminder in the evening to turn off the notifications and one in the morning to turn them back on. I was just hoping to find a way to automate the process.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nomoreimore