• After more than 15 years covering everything Apple, it’s with a heavy heart we announce that we will no longer be publishing new content on iMore and the iMore forums will be closing as of November 1st, 2024.

Automatic app updates not working in iOS 9

amg212

May 26, 2013
Visit site
Since updating my familiy's devices to iOS 9 (some on 9.0.1), none of our devices have been getting automatic app updates downloaded anymore, despite the setting remaining enabled. The App Store badge accurately shows available updates and pressing "update all" in the App Store works, but why aren't updates downloading automatically anymore as they did with iOS 8? Any thoughts?

We're dealing with different iCloud / App Store accounts, different phone models and iPads... Only commonality is iOS 9...

h975496

Oct 14, 2015
Visit site
You're not alone. I noticed this problem soon after updating to iOS 9. Initially I thought it might be Apple giving priority to users downloading the iOS update over app updates but it has continued to persist with iOS 9.0.1 and 9.0.2 including today when I clicked the Update All link to update 14 apps, which then promptly proceeded to update. Occasionally one or two apps might sneak through but that's rare.

lightning8888

May 30, 2015
Visit site
I have some apps that say there are updates but will not update after tapping button it's almost like it times out or something . Even restarted the phone checked wifi etc not sure what's happening . Has anyone else had this happen ?

BBooDad

Aug 7, 2012
Visit site
Yep. Apple did some cool stuff with iOS 9, but they seem to have broke a lot of the OS, too. That is why I am not relying on them for my home automation stuff - updates are too rocky!

RalNew

Oct 15, 2015
Visit site
Since installing iOS 9, 9.01 and 9.02, having this same problem, consistently on iPad 4, and sporadically on iPhone 6. Can "coax" the downloads manually (time consuming pain) but often the app icons don't download and all that shows for these are icon-shaped grayed-out squares. Also sporadic with no apparent pattern as to which do or don't do this following successful download. Called Apple support and was told they've gotten a number of calls on this but really don't know the cause or solution -- they told me to try "Reset All" but I've been remiss to try that b/c I don't understand how this action would address the problem. Have always had auto-download enabled on both devices -- on the iPad these can accumulate to dozens a day requiring manual coaxing.

Any help, thoughts or wisdom appreciated, thx!

fellwalker

Jan 16, 2015
Visit site
I'm using iOS 11 on an iPad and iOS 10 on an iPhone. However, I can quite believe that seemingly identical devices behave differently. Stuff that has worked for years on iOS or macOS can stop working when Apple releases new versions. It was to avoid this that I switched from Windows years ago so it's disappointing to see Apple behave the same way.

silverwoof123

Oct 12, 2017
Visit site
Yeah...Im having this issue too. I've used this ipad for maybe 2 and a half years. Its stuck at 9.3.5 and has never gotten another update again. Only just recently had the apps stopped auto updating. I've tried hard reset, plug in and turn off through night, plug in through night, nothing has helped.

SprSynJn

Jun 27, 2013
Visit site
Haven’t had automatic updates work on my iPhone for close to a year now I reckon. Currently on the latest build and nothing has really changed.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Blin