Apple Watch 8

doogald

Trusted Member
Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
So, who else is interested in the Apple Watch 8? What new features interest you?

I get a new watch every three years, so I'm definitely getting one this year. I've been in Europe the last couple of weeks and couldn't/didn't watch the announcement yet.

**VERY** interested in the Ultra. My initial thought - it's kind of ugly. And so are the bands! And it my just be too big. But, it's not really the extreme sports functionality that interest me - it's the extra battery life and the extra button (which I have wished for now for a looong time).

If I don't get the Ultra, I'll get a stainless steel S8, and the price difference isn't much between the two.

tadpoles

Jul 20, 2015
Visit site
I want the Ultra. …and, therefore, will have it. I bike, I ride, etc. My 3 x 45mm AW7s and 1 x 40mm AW SE do the job admirably but the Ultra is just extra and that’s exactly right up my ally. I might get it this Fall or in the Winter but I’m looking forward having it.

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
I wasn’t planning on getting the new Watch S8 but once I found out T-Mobile Netherlands gives a substantial discount on the cellular Watch that is ordered through them I couldn’t pass the opportunity.

doogald

Trusted Member
Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
It's interesting that they dropped the blue and green colors for the aluminum S8. I wonder if they just didn't sell all that well?

tcuprof

Trusted Member
Aug 21, 2015
Visit site
**VERY** interested in the Ultra. My initial thought - it's kind of ugly. And so are the bands!

Agreed, the bands don't do anything for me and I sure can't see buying one for $99. One is included so I got the white ocean band since it looks it might be good for diving. Meanwhile, all my existing bands fit, so I'll keep using Nike sport bands for running.

apple watch ultra.jpg

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I wasn’t planning on getting the new Watch S8 but once I found out T-Mobile Netherlands gives a substantial discount on the cellular Watch that is ordered through them I couldn’t pass the opportunity.

After having had the cellular model for numerous years now, it would be difficult for me to buy one that isn’t.

doogald

Trusted Member
Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
Agreed, the bands don't do anything for me and I sure can't see buying one for $99. One is included so I got the white ocean band since it looks it might be good for diving. Meanwhile, all my existing bands fit, so I'll keep using Nike sport bands for running.View attachment 132066

Yes, I'm deciding on the Ultra. I'll at least try it. I'll also order a sport band and a braided loop; I almost always wear a sport band, I wear a sport loop in the summer (so the trail loop will replace that), and I use a braided loop when I travel (hard to pick-pocket). I did have a 42mm S2, but the bands are black, and I prefer blue bands, so I will get blue ones.

If I don't like the size of the Ultra, I'll return it and get a stainless 45mm S8 with a blue sport loop. (I like this year's sport loop bands. I was not a fan. of last year's.)

flyinion

Sep 17, 2015
Visit site
I just realized I could keep the Ultra and also my S6 at the same time and then I could dress up the S6 for fancier wear. It's aluminum but the silver aluminum should still look pretty nice with a leather band on it since my S8 choice would have been silver SS with the leather band (forget the name the magnet "loop" ones). I only just today realized you could pair multiple watches to a single phone. All I lose out on is the $120 trade in for my S6 aluminum GPS only model.

tcuprof

Trusted Member
Aug 21, 2015
Visit site
I just realized I could keep the Ultra and also my S6 at the same time and then I could dress up the S6 for fancier wear. It's aluminum but the silver aluminum should still look pretty nice with a leather band on it since my S8 choice would have been silver SS with the leather band (forget the name the magnet "loop" ones). I only just today realized you could pair multiple watches to a single phone. All I lose out on is the $120 trade in for my S6 aluminum GPS only model.

That's the strategy I'm using. The Ultra will be for daily wear and workouts, the S6 will be my "dress" watch.

doogald

Trusted Member
Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
That's the strategy I'm using. The Ultra will be for daily wear and workouts, the S6 will be my "dress" watch.

Same here, except I have the S5, and I'll probably also use the S5 as a sleep tracking watch every other day or so. And of course it will be my backup in case something happens with my Ultra.

nikkisharif

Ambassador
Jun 2, 2011
Visit site
I have an Hermès SBSS S7 that still looks new. Plus the new watch face is available for it, so I see no reason to upgrade this year.

Congrats to everyone that is upgrading!!

imwjl

Apr 26, 2011
Visit site
I'm on the fence here as my 4 watch will at times no longer last a day using a particular sports app. This is nothing against the Ultra. I'm not sure I want it as a daily wear watch, and until I retire in maybe 2 years I'll have to be carrying a Max type phone most of the time.

Update: I have no regrets choosing the 8 over Ultra. I have moderately improve battery life and effective now, I can try the newer batter save feature. More than battery life, the sports app I use works better/faster with the new watch.

This should not be seen as a put down or discouraging the Ultra model. I considered my age and use. I still do endurance sports at retirement age but also carry my phone while doing off road cycling and skiing. My work HQ office is a block from Apple Store and I do ABM so am there often. I tried on the Ultra with typical work clothes and also solo style bands on regular series. It helped me know I wanted a conventional watch model update for how most of my time is spent.

I did a 14 Pro Max purchase and that was an influence too. It will run my main sports app in conjunction with watch for lots of battery capacity. I use Abvio what is really same app if you choose cycle vs run, and it does lots of outdoor sports and activities.

ksassy

Mar 9, 2017
Visit site
1dc39157ea112288f1c5688796c7965d.jpg

Christmas came early for me! Series 8 Gold SS with elderberry sport band

Jude526

Trusted Member
Jan 15, 2017
Visit site
The app for women in the 8 is great for those women who will benefit from it. I am though way past that age . But still, I got the series 8. Men can still benefit from the watch because there are other apps men can use !
I feel the same way about the ULTRA watch. I can’t wear it because in my opinion it really was made for a man or a woman who has a larger wrist. I am petite in size and the Ultra would not wear comfortably on me, nor look good. I wear the 41 mm size and that is perfect for me…….

I only wear a smartwatch. I don’t wear a “dumb” watch, haven’t in years. LOL

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2