Apple TV Cord Cutting Question RE: TV Channel Apps

jamesbemery

Aug 4, 2012
Visit site
So, I currently have a 3rd Gen. Apple TV. I'm planning to upgrade to the Apple TV 4K HDR in the next month or two, and cancel my digital cable subscription with TWC/Spectrum - keeping their WiFi service and boosting it to the max. My question centers around the TV apps like Disney, Disney Jr., DisneyXD, USA (for me and the wife 😋), etc...

For those apps I currently activate them and I have full access because of my cable subscription. If I cancel my digital cable subscription and just keep WiFi will I lose this access? My gut reaction is yes, and it makes me pause because I have young kids that still enjoy the access to these programs. Then again, all it asks is for me to login with my TWC/Spectrum information, which i'd still have since I use that to manage my billing.

If anyone has an experience with this I'd greatly appreciate it. I don't want to limit my children's viewing pleasures to save a few bucks, but at the same time nearly $300 a month is a lot.

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
There's authentication in place that verifies with TWC/Spectrum what channels are in the TV package you pay for with them and are then eligible to view... you'd have to go to Hulu or another provider to "buy" access to the channel apps.

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
To go further on post #2 , going to something like Hulu Live TV or Playstation VUE would give you authentication through those apps with your credentials. It all depends on what those providers support though. I put links for you to check.

Hulu TV anywhere app list

Playstation VUE

DirecTV Now

Sling TV

After that you just gotta wonder what plans from those options works best for you. I personally use Playstation VUE. I'm on the cheapest $40 a month plan and it works great for me. Especially with the unlimited DVR.

jamesbemery

Aug 4, 2012
Visit site
Thank you! I’ve been searching for shows in the meantime. Looks like Hulu has 97% of the stuff we typically watch. It’s going to be the Pokémon I lose. May have to search YouTube for those or just buy the seasons...

We added Hulu to our streaming lineup and haven’t watched “live” tv in two months. I figure it’s time to reap the savings. I may add Hulu Live. It seems like a good deal, especially if you want to see some sporting.

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
Thank you! I’ve been searching for shows in the meantime. Looks like Hulu has 97% of the stuff we typically watch. It’s going to be the Pokémon I lose. May have to search YouTube for those or just buy the seasons...

We added Hulu to our streaming lineup and haven’t watched “live” tv in two months. I figure it’s time to reap the savings. I may add Hulu Live. It seems like a good deal, especially if you want to see some sporting.

It's not too bad. I just cannot stand Hulu's new user interface at all. Vue is easier to navigate and streams at 60fps. Best for football.

jamesbemery

Aug 4, 2012
Visit site
I keep hearing this complaint, but my Apple TV still looks the same...probably because it’s old lol. The app is a little confusing but I don’t use it that often.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dennis Anderson Julien