Apple Safari vs. Google Chrome??

The_Prodigy1982

Apr 13, 2015
Visit site
Since day 1 (I started my macOS adventure in late 2014) I'm using Safari, and I'm happy with it. Using Chrome as a secondary option.
However, I find it that when I open up a handful of tabs within Safari, everything starts to get kinda sluggish...
Of course this might have to do with my old 2014 iMac, but still.

On Google Chrome they seem to have a much better performance setting, that only pre-loads the active tab, and keeps the other tabs that you might have opened up, memory free.
Therefore it seems that Chrome handles this way better, the browser just seems more fluid.
On top of that, these days I'm using crypto wallet extensions, which aren't supported in Safari... where Chrome supports everything.

I'm leaning towards Chrome and keep Safari as a secondary browser.

What do you guys think, what are the pros vs. the cons among these 2?🤷🏼‍♂️

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Since day 1 (I started my macOS adventure in late 2014) I'm using Safari, and I'm happy with it. Using Chrome as a secondary option.
However, I find it that when I open up a handful of tabs within Safari, everything starts to get kinda sluggish...
Of course this might have to do with my old 2014 iMac, but still.

On Google Chrome they seem to have a much better performance setting, that only pre-loads the active tab, and keeps the other tabs that you might have opened up, memory free.
Therefore it seems that Chrome handles this way better, the browser just seems more fluid.
On top of that, these days I'm using crypto wallet extensions, which aren't supported in Safari... where Chrome supports everything.

I'm leaning towards Chrome and keep Safari as a secondary browser.

What do you guys think, what are the pros vs. the cons among these 2?

I have 13 tabs open in Safari for work purposes and 34 tabs open on Chrome - also for work purposes. It’s been awhile, but I do recall Safari becoming sluggish when I attempted to have the same number of tabs open simultaneously as I have on Chrome.

EdwinG

Ambassador
Mar 10, 2012
Visit site
I am using Safari for 99.98% of my uses, and the 0.02% go to Microsoft Edge. Safari simply does everything I want it to do, and not an iota more.

For work purposes, it’s exclusively Microsoft Edge, as decreed by employer policy. Safari is not even a choice, because Apple killed the Windows version over 10 years ago.

Reactions: Just_Me_D

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I am using Safari for 99.98% of my uses, and the 0.02% go to Microsoft Edge. Safari simply does everything I want it to do, and not an iota more.

For work purposes, it’s exclusively Microsoft Edge, as decreed by employer policy. Safari is not even a choice, because Apple killed the Windows version over 10 years ago.

I prefer to use Safari, but Chrome is mandated by my employer for the majority of things I do. For personal use, I use Safari exclusively, but I don’t have a lot of tabs open during my usage.

TNT

Feb 16, 2024
Visit site
I have Chrome installed on all of my devices and use it on all. I only have Safari on my Apple devices but use Chrome.

FFR

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
I use safari, no problem with tabs.
4fa5dd18e2f25be3a3583edea4aabe05.jpg

Pros for safari are that it is privacy focused and optimized by Apple for Apple devices it works great with continuity on all my devices. If you have an iCloud subscription private relay works well with safari for added privacy and security.

I wouldn’t use chrome even if google paid me. Compared to safari, researchers have reported chrome sends more data and more frequently to google compared with safari.

Not to mention google settled its class action lawsuit for 5 billion dollars for spying and data collecting from chrome users while in “private browsing” mode, the best part they aren’t going to stop, only disclose that they do so from now on.
34f7aacc585fd141f4c2b3f54073669d.png

849cf726a0d7e00e8699790b116af3c2.png

7940c6b4d69c4c3290727808b106f635.png

Best of luck op

Reactions: Just_Me_D

Annie_M

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
I use Safari on all of my Apple Devices, and Chrome on my PC at work. There are some things that my employer's various software and programs run better on Chrome. We do have access to Firefox and Edge. I use Firefox at lunch when I want to watch Hulu or Netflix... and I can't be bothered with Edge! LOL!

Lee_Bo

Apr 6, 2016
Visit site
Chrome on my Apple devices. Edge at work as we’re using 20 year old terminal services to connect to a central server and the only browser allowed (or installed) is Edge.

Chrome was one of the last Google apps I stopped using.

Now if I can just get away from Google Maps…..