Apple Pay Cash.....Have you set it up yet?

doogald

Trusted Member
Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
Re: Pay Cash.....Have you set it up yet?

Exactly. Every NFC POS reader I've seen so far has the reading area either behind the centrally located display or on the left.

I use Apple Pay mostly at three shops - my local grocery store; a local drug store; and a local Whole Foods. All have the reader mounted high, to the right of where you stand when you interact with the cashier, mounted on a little counter.

And I'm still not seeing the 'hell of a less awkward' bit in your method. I admit using the Watch could be tricky for the infirm. If awkwardness is going to rear its ugly head at all, it will be having to reach into a pocket in the first place. But, each to his own.

My iPhone sticks out about 3" beyond my hand, the tap location being the top of the phone, as I hold it with my finger on Touch ID. I can do this easily one-handed. With the watch, it's two handed - I have to double-tap the button with my other hand - and then I have to raise my arm and supinate my wrist to point the watch toward the reader (I wear my watch on top of my wrist, not underneath.) My hand doesn't need to travel as far when I use my iPhone.

*Shrugs*. I just find that a lot more convenient and not awkward at all. I find using the watch a weird, awkward gesture.

But, sure, if you have a Series 0, Series 1, or Series 2 with an iPhone 5 or 5c without Touch ID, so no Apple Pay on the iPhone, then Apple Pay on the watch with watchOS 3 is awesome. I will Apple Pay over using a credit card every chance that I can get.

Another advantage is that my iPhone also stores all of my transaction in the wallet app. The one time I used the AW, the watch's wallet app doesn't have a list of transactions, and it did not sync to the iPhone wallet app. (Which makes sense maybe; they use different device account numbers.) I also didn't see it anywhere on the Watch app. I'll have to try again with something small just to see if the wallet app on the watch has changed with watch OS 4, or if it populates somewhere on the Watch app.

And regarding Apple Pay Cash verification— that's not a requirement to set up APC and most users will/would never have to do it. It only affects large and possible frequent cash transfers. But it's trivial to set up, easier and quicker than the mandatory Two Step Authorization.

Sure, but it's still good for people to know that they may not have access to their cash unless they verify, that verification requires some personal information, and that this is the same info that you'd need to give to open any bank account (actually, less; only the last four of the SSN.)

In addition to the Tidbits article link above, here is Apple's support article about verification: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT207887

bunjy

Apr 5, 2013
Visit site

I set it up already. My big bro even sent me some cash to go towards buying an Apple keyboard for my iPad Pro. Merry Christmas!!!

edd

Nov 5, 2011
Visit site

I’ve used it. I first added a debit card to Apple Pay because I only had a credit card on there previously and I didn’t want to pay fees. I owed my friend $67. He was sitting next to me when we did the transfer. I used Siri, saying “Send Marty $67”. My iPad then displayed a large “$67” on the screen. A couple of seconds later his phone notified him that he received a payment.

It did not ask me which card to use. It defaulted to the debit, even though the default card is my Amex for Apple Pay. Could be by design. Maybe personal cash transfers avoid using a CC if possible. Cool, if true.

Raptor007

Trusted Member
Jul 3, 2010
Visit site
I have it fully set up, need my wife to setup hers, but she doesn't use Apple Pay. I don't think a lot of people I know at work have set it up either or are unaware of it. At least the apps tells you if the person you want to send money to doesn't have it set up, so you can send can txt to them to turn it on and send them cash.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williams77