Apple Pay accepted at WalMart stores in Canada???

Annie_M

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
I just saw a tweet on Twitter that Apple Pay has been accepted at WalMart Stores in Canada since December of 2020. Why not in the USA?

EdwinG

Ambassador
Mar 10, 2012
Visit site
I just saw a tweet on Twitter that Apple Pay has been accepted at WalMart Stores in Canada since December of 2020. Why not in the USA?

I can confirm that it is true. I can’t say about the USA.

Apple Pay is typically accepted wherever Interac Flash (contactless debit) is accepted. Usually, that also includes MasterCard’s PayPass and Visa’s Paywave systems.

We can even usually Apple Pay tap-in, tap-out at parkade gates. And in OCTranspo (Ottawa) and Translink (Vancouver)’s public transportation system, with nothing special from Apple (no express transit card or anything).

What a world we live in

Up_And_Away

Aug 27, 2021
Visit site
I can confirm that it is true. I can’t say about the USA.

Apple Pay is typically accepted wherever Interac Flash (contactless debit) is accepted. Usually, that also includes MasterCard’s PayPass and Visa’s Paywave systems.

We can even usually Apple Pay tap-in, tap-out at parkade gates. And in OCTranspo (Ottawa) and Translink (Vancouver)’s public transportation system, with nothing special from Apple (no express transit card or anything).

What a world we live in

Strange indeed. Canada Walmart must be organized as a subsidiary that operates with its own finance execs, payroll etc. I can confirm Walmart in the US does not accept Apple Pay. It’s maddening. One of the few places I have to stick the physical card in (at one time Home Depot also didn’t accept Apple Pay, I’m not sure as of 2023).
Walmart US has been hot on getting going and using its own pay system for a couple of years. The Suggestion is it is about fees, it isn’t. It’s about digital gold, data. It’s the gift that keeps on giving. Apple Pay provides less data. Apple Explained on YT has a good video on this subject of Walmart. But I honestly thought Walmart may be abandoning Walmart Pay. Maybe not yet.

EdwinG

Ambassador
Mar 10, 2012
Visit site
Strange indeed. Canada Walmart must be organized as a subsidiary that operates with its own finance execs, payroll etc. I can confirm Walmart in the US does not accept Apple Pay. It’s maddening. One of the few places I have to stick the physical card in (at one time Home Depot also didn’t accept Apple Pay, I’m not sure as of 2023).
Walmart US has been hot on getting going and using its own pay system for a couple of years. The Suggestion is it is about fees, it isn’t. It’s about digital gold, data. It’s the gift that keeps on giving. Apple Pay provides less data. Apple Explained on YT has a good video on this subject of Walmart. But I honestly thought Walmart may be abandoning Walmart Pay. Maybe not yet.

I suspect it has to do with the fact that we have used a unified debit transaction system for over 25 years. And Walmart has had to play nice with our terminal providers, otherwise no access to the network (and, by extension, less customers).

Up_And_Away

Aug 27, 2021
Visit site
I suspect it has to do with the fact that we have used a unified debit transaction system for over 25 years. And Walmart has had to play nice with our terminal providers, otherwise no access to the network (and, by extension, less customers).

Ah, my American-centric thinking on display again. :). Thanks for the Looney network education Ed.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2