Apple opens the floodgates in Europe: Alternative app stores, browser engines, and game options coming to European customers, to comply with the ne...

Jeremy Kaplan

Staff member
May 18, 2023
Visit site
Y'know, I intentionally didn't use the term "sideloading." To me -- and maybe I'm just being silly -- sideloading is when you download an installer file (or an APK on Android) and force it to install outside of a store. Apple's not really letting you do that. Just allowing for alternate stores. Am I being pedantic? Probably.

Reactions: Just_Me_D

EdwinG

Ambassador
Mar 10, 2012
Visit site
Y'know, I intentionally didn't use the term "sideloading." To me -- and maybe I'm just being silly -- sideloading is when you download an installer file (or an APK on Android) and force it to install outside of a store. Apple's not really letting you do that. Just allowing for alternate stores. Am I being pedantic? Probably.
I actually agree with your decision.

iOS has long supported sideloading on one side, for proprietary entreprise apps that are pushed by an MDM. In a previous life, I have deployed and pushed such apps to iPad devices (when they were still on iOS).

On another side, the apps will still be validated by Apple through a process similar to macOS’s notarization. From an end user perspective, this is quite close to the way the App Store already works, except you’re going to be another storefront.

Voluntarily getting an app still goes through an app you get from an app store, so I will personally call it “installing an app”.

naddy69

Jun 17, 2017
Visit site
My guess is that 95% of iPhone users will still only use the Apple App store. So third party app stores are going to lose money and/or no one will find the apps, and eventually shut down because running your own app store will be more money/hassle than it is worth.

Which means the EU will have to Get Over it.

FFR

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
I’m more interested to see the impact on premium and midrange android handsets moving forward. I suspect there will be a huge decline in Western Europe in the next two years, as those users migrate to an iPhone.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williams77