App load delay after jailbreaking

helmet112

Sep 3, 2008
Visit site
Does anyone else experience a several-second delay when loading applications after they've jailbroken?

For example, when I hit the Settings icon, the settings app background pops up immediately but none of the controls appear for up to 10+ seconds. I notice similar lag in other applications as well. Most of the time the delay is 2-4 seconds, but often a lot longer. I never noticed anything similar prior to jailbreaking, although am now curious if it existed just wasn't as pronounced.

I do have Intelliscreen (currently disabled) and Backgrounder (rarely used) installed, which might impact this. I'm experimenting with uninstalling them.

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
No delays here. What happens after a reset? Does it go back to normal just to slow down eventually or does the lag stay?

helmet112

Sep 3, 2008
Visit site
Sorry for the delay, I didn't notice an email when you guys replied, so assumed there weren't any.

The only jailbroken apps installed are Installer and Cydia, plus some of the dev command line tools.

Otherwise, I have a bunch of games and apps like Simplify, Google, Facebook, etc. Nothing that I'd guess would affect the system when they're not loaded.

It's difficult to tell if a reset decreases the lag. It does most of the time, but the really bad lag seems semi-random, so who knows.

It turns out I haven't found any worthwhile jailbroken apps, so I'll likely unjailbreak so there's a better chance it'll "just work." The kicker is that restoring wipes everything and I need a full sync (large syncs fail many times for me due to network issues). If anyone knows a way to get back to 2.1 proper without needing a full sync let me know.

tuna

Oct 10, 2008
Visit site
***EDIT: Read the next post, I guess this doesn't work.***

I would suggest backing up your phone, then restoring. If you want to decrease backup times, I would also suggest removing music, movies, and anything else that takes up a lot of space and re-syncing them after you restore your phone. Your phone will no longer be jailbroken if you restore from a backup of when it was jailbroken.

If you are having issues that won't let you back up, then I don't know what to tell you :( Hopefully someone else has some solutions.

***EDIT: Read the next post, I guess this doesn't work.***

Last edited:

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
I can't stress enough to not use backup while you are jailbroken. I've said this a million times. You will have less issues when you do not use a back up. Trust me on this helmet112.

*Tuna you can use backups but while jailbroken it's not the best idea to. It's similar to WM, when you hard reset the device after having issues you shouldn't use a backup. You are just begging for trouble. I just say that because you are less likely to run into issues that could have been avoided.

Last edited:

jamesus

TiPb Forum Staff
Jul 10, 2008
Visit site
I can attest to not using a backup after jailbreaking. I had all types of issues until I restored and then performed the jailbreak again.

Reactions: Jeremy

tuna

Oct 10, 2008
Visit site
I can't stress enough to not use backup while you are jailbroken. I've said this a million times. You will have less issues when you do not use a back up. Trust me on this helmet112.

*Tuna you can use backups but while jailbroken it's not the best idea to. It's similar to WM, when you hard reset the device after having issues you shouldn't use a backup. You are just begging for trouble. I just say that because you are less likely to run into issues that could have been avoided.

Understood. Trying to avoid going back to the same problems. I'm a wipe it clean and start fresh guy, so I've never tired this before. Thanks for the info.

helmet112

Sep 3, 2008
Visit site
Ok, not sure if I fit into the "don't backup while jailbroken" scenario listed below. I unjailbroke after my last post. I restored to factory settings, then iTunes asked which backup I wanted to use and I picked the one I made just before the restore. Then iTunes synced everything back to the device.

So far so good. The lag I was seeing seems gone, although too early to tell. For example, when I clicking on Settings, after the app background pops up it seems to take 1s for the app controls to display. Before I restored it took between 4-10s.

Did I do the backup case you're recommending not doing? Or is that just to not restore a backup to a currently jailbroken phone?

skosila

Oct 17, 2008
Visit site
Having the same problem!!

helmet112,
How is your phone doing? Did the lag come back? I am having the same lag that you reported. It takes a little under 10s for the options to appear after hitting the settings icon on the home page. When you reset it, did you restore to original firmware and then jailbroke? Or did you just rerun the jailbreak firmware installer?

helmet112

Sep 3, 2008
Visit site
skosila, I haven't re-jailbroken, I just did the iTunes "restore to factory settings". The very long delays haven't returned yet, thankfully. I think I'll stay on factory firmware for now.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
saiprasad