Always have to switch off imessage on other phones

mike.strock

Nov 1, 2010
Visit site
I will occasionally switch between an iPhone and an Android phone. When I switch to the iPhone, invariably, the person I share the ICloud account with gets ticked off because they have to manually go in and turn off my phone number so they don't get my messages as well as theirs.

Is there a way to have this default to only chose my number on my phone, and on the other person's phone, have it not click the checkbox when I turn on iMessage?

I know, I should chose one or the other phone type, but there are a few things about Android I can't get on iPhone as of yet.

Thanks.

Mike.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Not that I’m aware of. Having said that, why not just create an Apple ID for yourself so you wouldn’t have to worry about such things?

Lee_Bo

Apr 6, 2016
Visit site
Apple also frowns on multiple people using one Apple ID. Like the others have already said, create your own Apple ID.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Sharing an Apple ID with someone is never a good idea. You both need your own iCloud ID. You can continue to share the same iTunes ID though, if you wish. My wife and I have done that for years.

FFR

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
Op, just set up a new iTunes Id through family sharing.

It is the solution you are looking for.

FFR

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
With Family Sharing, you can't share the same in-app purchases. To me, Family Sharing seems a bit much for only 2 people.

Op could set up iCloud + apple messages with his own new family sharing Apple ID, and then use the old shared Apple ID for media and apps.

That way they can share the iCloud storage plan, have separate iMessage accounts and iCloud data but share apps, in app purchases, in app subscriptions and other assorted media.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2