AirPort Extreme - New Model

Philip Fisher

Jul 29, 2014
Visit site
Obviously, the Airport product line has been discontinued and outdated for sometime now. Since a lot of people use Macs at home, it would be helpful if Apple were to jump back into the "router" game and release a new AE with new features to compete with the popular routers today. At the very least, consider releasing a new Time Capsule with new features that may include an updated Time Machine version.

With that said, I understand there has to be a need and demand for Apple to release a new AE product or some variation of AE.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I used the Airport and Time Capsule devices for years prior to them being discontinued and I really liked them. With that being said, if they were to once again offer one or both then I’d be interested as long as the price is reasonable to me.

Philip Fisher

Jul 29, 2014
Visit site
Currently, I am using a Synology router which are really good. However, if Apple were to update their Airport product line with a new TC and AE then I would seriously consider moving over to it.

EdwinG

Ambassador
Mar 10, 2012
Visit site
I used a Time Capsule as a router, until it became incompatible with my ISP. Then, I continued to use it as a NAS device. It finally gave up ghost in 2021, after 10 years of service.

Now, I use the Ubiquiti UniFi ecosystem alongside with a Synology SAN/NAS. I am highly unlikely to switch back, unless they have an outrageously good value proposition.

doogald

Trusted Member
Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
I think that Apple is just done with router products. They are obviously going to concentrate on products and systems that really add value to their bottom line. Plenty of companies offer a variety of user and commercial networking equipment, and it's likely a commodity business. If I were Apple I'd want to concentrate on iPhone, iPad, Mac, AirPods, now Vision Pro, maybe automobiles or automobile systems and services, and let something as basic as networking equipment not become a distraction.

That said: I would have loved it if Apple bought Eero rather than Amazon. Apple would definitely be more committed to user privacy than Amazon ever will be.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2