Activation Required message when out coverage area

jkmasi

Dec 27, 2011
Visit site
I took the plunge and upgraded from my 8+ to an XS, and I am really happy that I did. I love everything about the XS - the size is perfect, etc. I am having one odd issue, though, and I am wondering if anyone here understands what's happening.

My husband and I have a house in WV just west of the DC metro area where there is little to no Verizon service (extended 1X). I drive through areas on my route to get to our place where I have No Service. Every time I go through one of these areas, I get an Activation Required message on my screen. I can just click Dismiss, and it goes away, but I can't figure out why this is happening. I never saw this on any of my previous iPhones and I am wondering if it has anything to do with the eSim. Other carriers (Sprint, primarily, US Cellular, and AT&T) do some have coverage in these VZW No Service areas.

A sore subject for me is why Verizon seems to hate WV, but I'll save that rant for another day.

Thanks in advance for responses.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I think the problem exists because of the lack of coverage in those areas. I would contact Verizon and make an inquiry into what could be done from their end, if anything, to remedy the situation. In addition, I can’t ignore the complaints about the iPhone XS having reception problems.

jkmasi

Dec 27, 2011
Visit site
Yes, the problem clearly has something to do with the "No Service" areas. My XS goes out of service in the same areas my 8+ always did. The only thing that's different is this "Activation Required" message that pops up when in these no coverage areas. It's not really a huge problem, since I can just click Dismiss, but I would like to understand why it's happening.

I don't really get the whole esim concept... I need to read up on it, but the message makes me wonder if this phone is capable of detecting that there is service from other carriers available in those areas where VZW has no service.

phreddyl

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
I actually saw that yesterday myself when I was at the beach. Then I looked and I had 1x to 3g service. Went away when I got closer to the house WiFi. I have the X

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2