A few questions from a rookie

iVader

Nov 11, 2011
Visit site
Hello,

I'm fresh new 4s owner and I have some specific questions about how exactly ios works in general.

1.How exactly Facebook push notifications work - is the app supposed to be working in the background or it could be closed and still notify me? My settings for FB notifications are all ON. I have never received any FB notifications so far!:(

2.Same question for twitter - i have subscribed for a several sites but don't receive any notifications anywhere. Should the app be working in the background? My settings for twitter notifications are all ON. I have never received any notifications so far.:(

3.Mail - my primary account is Yahoo! It pushes well except sometimes it kinda skips to notify me about every email. Recent example: I received two email messages in 10 minutes time frame and I got notified only for one of them, and also on the icon of the email app there was only "1" showing. When I open the email app all messages are there, but somehow the notification is failing in both the notification center and email icon.:( Is it Yahoo! or ios5 problem?

4.Is it possible to set a gmail to "push" without having Outlook Exchange?

5.Is iCloud mail more reliable than Yahoo! and does it support push or only fetch(just like gmail)?

Thanks.

noaim

Jul 8, 2010
Visit site
Hello,

I'm fresh new 4s owner and I have some specific questions about how exactly ios works in general.

1.How exactly Facebook push notifications work - is the app supposed to be working in the background or it could be closed and still notify me? My settings for FB notifications are all ON. I have never received any FB notifications so far!:(

2.Same question for twitter - i have subscribed for a several sites but don't receive any notifications anywhere. Should the app be working in the background? My settings for twitter notifications are all ON. I have never received any notifications so far.:(

3.Mail - my primary account is Yahoo! It pushes well except sometimes it kinda skips to notify me about every email. Recent example: I received two email messages in 10 minutes time frame and I got notified only for one of them, and also on the icon of the email app there was only "1" showing. When I open the email app all messages are there, but somehow the notification is failing in both the notification center and email icon.:( Is it Yahoo! or ios5 problem?

4.Is it possible to set a gmail to "push" without having Outlook Exchange?

5.Is iCloud mail more reliable than Yahoo! and does it support push or only fetch(just like gmail)?

Thanks.

1 Facebook has the worst notifications of any app sometimes they work sometimes they don't

2 I suggest getting a different twitter app I use tweetings works great.

3 yahoo email is real hit or miss some people it works fine some say notifications aren't working

4. Gmail will only push if you set it up as exchange you can by using the server m.google.com. Nothing needed extra it just works I use gmail as exchange and it pushes perfect!

5. I wouldn't tie yourself into an email that forces you to use certain things. If you ever want another phone iCloud email may not travel with you!

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk

big9erfan

Jun 2, 2009
Visit site
Twitter only notifies you when someone tweets to YOU or when they send you a direct message. You don't get an alert each time they tweet.

Reactions: iVader

iVader

Nov 11, 2011
Visit site
Twitter only notifies you when someone tweets to YOU or when they send you a direct message. You don't get an alert each time they tweet.

Thanks. That's very useful clarification. Apparently ios twitter works differently from BB's one which gets you notified about every new items.

Alli

Apr 28, 2009
Visit site
Thanks. That's very useful clarification. Apparently ios twitter works differently from BB's one which gets you notified about every new items.

Evidently BB users follow fewer people on Twitter than iPhone users. If my phone went off for every post for everyone I followed - it would never stop. And I cut back to fewer than 500!

Reactions: iVader

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jerrytg4