3G Speed on iPhone 3G is Capped at 1.4Mbps

xintelinsanex

May 30, 2008
Visit site
att needs to work on getting MORE 3g coverage. I know speed is important, but their coverage kinda sucks compared to sprints evdo
It's a growing process. You can except to switch from EDGE to 3G overnight. Like everything else it will take some time to get everything changed over. Luckily the city I am in and the one I am moving to already have coverage, so I'm good.

carsly

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Well I can see both sides I do however agree that apple and at are doing the right thing by capping it. There are the two main reasons 1. You dont want to drain the battery and 2. We dont want to crash at&t's network because everyone hates droped calls. I think they did it right by making it just a little slower than wifi because people expect it to be slower but not anywhere edge slow. As far as the other side I can see how people are saying if at&t is bragging about 7mb downloads why are they only allowing 1.4? I figure by this time next year we will be getting double the speeds as the current 3G iPhone and we will need it due to video chat... at least that's my hope.

As for the dropped calls, AT&T is #1 in this statistic based on my experiences. I had more dropped calls using my iPhone in Manhattan for two days than I had with five years on T-mobile travelling around the country 4-5 days/week. In fact, both my Blackjack and iPhone on AT&T suffer from an average of one dropout every 60 mins of call time - beat that Verizon! :eek:

mullrat

Jun 8, 2008
Visit site
I'm sure at&t doesn't want to relive the embarrassment they experienced last year with outages related to the iPhone. To me they are just moving ahead cautiously. I don't blame them for that.

BTW I have an aircard with AT&T that has 3.6MPS. It's pretty darn fast on a laptop. So I'm expecting the iPhone to be comparable to that, being that it is a smaller device with smaller requirements. Hopefully

Last edited:

xintelinsanex

May 30, 2008
Visit site
As for the dropped calls, AT&T is #1 in this statistic based on my experiences. I had more dropped calls using my iPhone in Manhattan for two days than I had with five years on T-mobile travelling around the country 4-5 days/week. In fact, both my Blackjack and iPhone on AT&T suffer from an average of one dropout every 60 mins of call time - beat that Verizon! :eek:
I've had the opposite experience. I've experienced far less dropped calls with AT&T than with T-Mobile. I sometimes couldn't even make calls.

xintelinsanex

May 30, 2008
Visit site
I'm sure at&t doesn't want to relive the embarrassment they experienced last year with outages related to the iPhone. To me they are just moving ahead cautiously. I don't blame them for that.

BTW I have an aircard with AT&T that has 3.6MPS. It's pretty darn fast on a laptop. So I'm expecting the iPhone to be comparable to that, being that it is a smaller device with smaller requirements. Hopefully
Remember the 3.6 Mbps is the theoretical max. So the 1.4 Mbps is sustained. Depending on what area you are in, you can experience something above 1.4 Mbps. Who knows, you could probably sustain 2.0+Mbps. Apple just wanted to be careful.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DerekIversion