I'm looking to take my current (on-contract) iPhone 5 from AT&T to T-Mobile. But I'm having trouble working out the logistics of the switch. Here's the order of sequence I would have to do things.

1. Cancel with AT&T
    2. Pay ETF with AT&T
    3. Request unlock code from AT&T
    4. Activate new SIM card with T-Mobile.

The problem is the time from step 1 (cancel with AT&T) to step 4 (T-Mobile) could leave me without a working for for several days. I've tried working with AT&T to unlock the phone without canceling my line, but I haven't had any luck. I even offered to pay the ETF, but AT&T stated I could only pay the ETF if the line was canceled. Has anyone made this transition before? Any suggestions on making the transition smoother?

Brice
    07-12-2013 04:47 PM
    I don't know what to tell you accept to try again, but why not just maintain service with AT&T until you're actually ready to make the switch?
    07-12-2013 05:49 PM
    Are you sure you know what you're doing by transferring. You'll be moving from a company with fast speeds and great coverage, to one with slow speeds and spotty coverage. I just want to be sure you know what you'll be getting when you switch.

Tappin and Talkin from my iPhone 5
    anon(73368) and jmr1015 like this.
    07-12-2013 05:57 PM
    If you purchased it prior to January of this year, it might be cheaper to pay an unlocking service.
    07-12-2013 10:27 PM
    We live in an area with decent coverage, plus it's hard to pass up the $40 per month savings.
    07-13-2013 12:00 PM
    AT&T will not allow me to pay the ETF (and unlock) unless I cancel my service.
    07-13-2013 12:01 PM
    You can go to a 3rd party and get them unlocked. I can help you unlock them if you need just PM me.

via Tapatalk
    07-13-2013 01:49 PM
    I'm looking to take my current (on-contract) iPhone 5 from AT&T to T-Mobile. But I'm having trouble working out the logistics of the switch. Here's the order of sequence I would have to do things.

1. Cancel with AT&T
    2. Pay ETF with AT&T

The problem is the time from step 1 (cancel with AT&T) to step 4 (T-Mobile) could leave me without a working for for several days. I've tried working with AT&T to unlock the phone without canceling my line, but I haven't had any luck. I even offered to pay the ETF, but AT&T stated I could only pay the ETF if the line was canceled. Has anyone made this transition before? Any suggestions on making the transition smoother?

Brice
    Get your phone factory unlocked on eBay $5 go in to Tmobile and transfer service you will get your final bill from. AT&T in a few weeks
    07-19-2013 02:39 PM
    it's really easy to get your phone unlocked

I can do it for $8 and I'll be done in less than a few hrs

I'd just call AT&T and threaten to leave and see if thy offer you a discount. you'll miss 4G / LTE
    07-21-2013 10:10 PM

1. Cancel with AT&T
    2. Pay ETF with AT&T

Brice
    Have you asked to have it unlocked for international travel?
    07-21-2013 11:09 PM
    No luck with the international unlock request. Worse case scenario i will try an online unlocking service.
    07-22-2013 12:55 PM
    No luck with the international unlock request. Worse case scenario i will try an online unlocking service.
    Unfortunately, per AT&T's unlocking rules, they will not unlock any phone that is still under contract with them. As mentioned above, a third party unlocking service may be your best solution here.
    07-23-2013 05:30 AM
    If you pay the ETF, you can get the unlock code.

Unlock your AT&T wireless phone or tablet - AT&T Wireless Support
    07-23-2013 08:09 AM
    We live in an area with decent coverage, plus it's hard to pass up the $40 per month savings.
    I would get it unlocked first and try tmobile before you cancel to make sure if its worth it.

via Tapatalk
    07-23-2013 08:56 AM
    I hate AT T and will switch soon.I have a discount plan and still $30 over T mobile I would rather have the cool phones and always upgrade option. AT T is the worst for customer service
    10-30-2013 09:05 PM
    AT&T just won the JD Powers award for customer service for a full service wireless carrier. And yes, AT&T is more expensive than T-Mobile.
    10-31-2013 01:37 PM
    I hate AT T and will switch soon.I have a discount plan and still $30 over T mobile I would rather have the cool phones and always upgrade option. AT T is the worst for customer service
    Sorry that AT&T isn't working out for you. However, keep in mind that having cool looking phones means nothing if they don't have service everywhere that you'll be using them.
    10-31-2013 06:56 PM
    I actually did this recently, and wonder why I didn't do it sooner. For $30/month I've got unlimited data and texts, and 100 minutes of voice. (I hardly ever call anyone.)

I also ported my AT&T number to Google Voice, so when I do need to call I can use the excellent VoIP service in the Hangouts app. (Which uses data but no minutes.) I've honestly been shocked at how good the call quality isI went a week between carriers with only wifi, and could absolutely live with just that if need be. Everyone still uses my old AT&T number, so it rings Hangoutsthey don't need to learn a new number, and I don't have to pay for calls.

As it is I wanted data while out and about so I got the $30 no contract plan. T-mo has LTE here, so I'm not complaining! The only thing I miss is MMS support from Google Voice, but 99% of my contacts use iMessage anyway. If you have T-mo coverage where you need it, I say go for it.
    11-01-2013 12:01 AM

1. Cancel with AT&T
    2. Pay ETF with AT&T

Brice
    Brice,

Over the last few months I completely moved my family Plan from AT&T to T-Mobile (I'm now saving $150 per month). Two of my lines required paying the ETF. However, it has never taken longer than a few hours to have my number completely ported to TMO. What I did was go to TMO and get a SIM card and a temporary phone number, while at TMO I called AT&T and told them I was going to have the line ported and setup a passcode. I gave the pass code and my AT&T account number to TMO and they ported the line. Once it was completed in TMO's system I called AT&T and requested the phone to be unlocked. As AT&T can see that the number was ported and the ETF applied they unlocked the phone immediately.

The only thing that took long was for my text messages to be completely switched over to TMO. For all 5 of my lines that took about 1 hour each.

I live in an are with good TMO service so the switch was easy. One caveat to consider though ......... Not all of AT&T phones have the radios to support TMO's 3G service. So if your in an are that does not have LTE or HPSA+ (what they call 4G) you will only get Edge speeds. This happened with my kids iPhone 4's (but they are mostly in wifi so it did not matter to me). My iPhone 5 and 5s did not have this problem as those phones contain all of the radios.

Good Luck
    ~S
    sasky likes this.
    11-01-2013 09:33 AM
    t mobile is nasty when you leave them
    11-27-2013 10:41 AM
    t mobile is nasty when you leave them
    The OP is/was leaving AT&T and not T-Mobile. Also, keep in mind that none of the carriers are happy when a customer is leaving.
    11-27-2013 03:07 PM
    Are you sure you know what you're doing by transferring. You'll be moving from a company with fast speeds and great coverage, to one with slow speeds and spotty coverage. I just want to be sure you know what you'll be getting when you switch.

Tappin and Talkin from my iPhone 5
    As a current T-Mobile (but about to switch back to AT&T customer) I have to agree with jclisenby. Please be sure that T-Mobile is going to be able to provide you with good solid coverage if you switch. I made the mistake of going by their coverage map and not verifying that T-Mobile coverage would work at my house. So I made the switch and sure enough coverage really sucks. It's fine if you go two blocks over (east or west) but at my house and around my house it's very lousy. At home I get 0 coverage. If I go to the street I 'sometimes' get one bar of Edge. If I go to the next block I get maybe 2 bars if I'm lucky.

When I switched from AT&T to T-Mobile, I first started with T-Mobile (went September 29th and did all the sign up stuff and made the initial payments) (had to wait 3 weeks for my phone to get mail (ordered 2 iPhone 5S Gold 64 so it took awhile) then once the phones came, I finished signing up with T-Mobile, ported 2 numbers from AT&T (which then canceled my AT&T account) and got my T-Mobile SIM cards.
    12-04-2013 06:35 PM
    @jclisenby: AT&T doesn't have "fast speeds and great coverage". *great* coverage would be reliable coverage absolutely everywhere. AT&T has its share of spotty coverage. T-Mobile may or may not be as good at AT&T in terms of speed and coverage. That doesn't mean that AT&T is superlative. Don't confuse "best monopoly" with "monopoly with awesome technology".

@duvi: The thread creator understood that you can get an unlock code from AT&T if you pay the ETF. However, paying the ETF cancels service. She wanted to pay the ETF, unlock the phone, and maintain service on the old sim-card until T-Mobile was ready with service on the new sim-card.

@justme'd: because it would be nice to switch carriers without buying a second phone.
    12-17-2013 10:05 PM