Switch from AT&T to T-Mobile

grape8pe

May 28, 2013
Visit site
I'm looking to take my current (on-contract) iPhone 5 from AT&T to T-Mobile. But I'm having trouble working out the logistics of the switch. Here's the order of sequence I would have to do things.

1. Cancel with AT&T
  2. Pay ETF with AT&T
  3. Request unlock code from AT&T
  4. Activate new SIM card with T-Mobile.

The problem is the time from step 1 (cancel with AT&T) to step 4 (T-Mobile) could leave me without a working for for several days. I've tried working with AT&T to unlock the phone without canceling my line, but I haven't had any luck. I even offered to pay the ETF, but AT&T stated I could only pay the ETF if the line was canceled. Has anyone made this transition before? Any suggestions on making the transition smoother?

Brice

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I don't know what to tell you accept to try again, but why not just maintain service with AT&T until you're actually ready to make the switch?

jclisenby

Feb 2, 2012
Visit site
Are you sure you know what you're doing by transferring. You'll be moving from a company with fast speeds and great coverage, to one with slow speeds and spotty coverage. I just want to be sure you know what you'll be getting when you switch.

Tappin and Talkin from my iPhone 5

Alli

Apr 28, 2009
Visit site
If you purchased it prior to January of this year, it might be cheaper to pay an unlocking service.

dj2big

Oct 9, 2011
Visit site
I'm looking to take my current (on-contract) iPhone 5 from AT&T to T-Mobile. But I'm having trouble working out the logistics of the switch. Here's the order of sequence I would have to do things.

1. Cancel with AT&T
  2. Pay ETF with AT&T

The problem is the time from step 1 (cancel with AT&T) to step 4 (T-Mobile) could leave me without a working for for several days. I've tried working with AT&T to unlock the phone without canceling my line, but I haven't had any luck. I even offered to pay the ETF, but AT&T stated I could only pay the ETF if the line was canceled. Has anyone made this transition before? Any suggestions on making the transition smoother?

Brice

Get your phone factory unlocked on eBay $5 go in to Tmobile and transfer service you will get your final bill from. AT&T in a few weeks

wbkm85

Jul 21, 2013
Visit site
it's really easy to get your phone unlocked

I can do it for $8 and I'll be done in less than a few hrs

I'd just call AT&T and threaten to leave and see if thy offer you a discount. you'll miss 4G / LTE

Duvi

Jun 17, 2008
Visit site

1. Cancel with AT&T
  2. Pay ETF with AT&T

Brice

Have you asked to have it unlocked for international travel?

Eileen89

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
No luck with the international unlock request. Worse case scenario i will try an online unlocking service.

Unfortunately, per AT&T's unlocking rules, they will not unlock any phone that is still under contract with them. As mentioned above, a third party unlocking service may be your best solution here.

Linda Lee2

Oct 31, 2013
Visit site
I hate AT T and will switch soon.I have a discount plan and still $30 over T mobile I would rather have the cool phones and always upgrade option. AT T is the worst for customer service

Eileen89

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
I hate AT T and will switch soon.I have a discount plan and still $30 over T mobile I would rather have the cool phones and always upgrade option. AT T is the worst for customer service

Sorry that AT&T isn't working out for you. However, keep in mind that having cool looking phones means nothing if they don't have service everywhere that you'll be using them.

Massie

Feb 9, 2010
Visit site
I actually did this recently, and wonder why I didn't do it sooner. For $30/month I've got unlimited data and texts, and 100 minutes of voice. (I hardly ever call anyone.)

I also ported my AT&T number to Google Voice, so when I do need to call I can use the excellent VoIP service in the Hangouts app. (Which uses data but no minutes.) I've honestly been shocked at how good the call quality is?I went a week between carriers with only wifi, and could absolutely live with just that if need be. Everyone still uses my old AT&T number, so it rings Hangouts?they don't need to learn a new number, and I don't have to pay for calls.

As it is I wanted data while out and about so I got the $30 no contract plan. T-mo has LTE here, so I'm not complaining! The only thing I miss is MMS support from Google Voice, but 99% of my contacts use iMessage anyway. If you have T-mo coverage where you need it, I say go for it.

gazoo2010

Sep 27, 2013
Visit site

1. Cancel with AT&T
  2. Pay ETF with AT&T

Brice

Brice,

Over the last few months I completely moved my family Plan from AT&T to T-Mobile (I'm now saving $150 per month). Two of my lines required paying the ETF. However, it has never taken longer than a few hours to have my number completely ported to TMO. What I did was go to TMO and get a SIM card and a temporary phone number, while at TMO I called AT&T and told them I was going to have the line ported and setup a passcode. I gave the pass code and my AT&T account number to TMO and they ported the line. Once it was completed in TMO's system I called AT&T and requested the phone to be unlocked. As AT&T can see that the number was ported and the ETF applied they unlocked the phone immediately.

The only thing that took long was for my text messages to be completely switched over to TMO. For all 5 of my lines that took about 1 hour each.

I live in an are with good TMO service so the switch was easy. One caveat to consider though ......... Not all of AT&T phones have the radios to support TMO's 3G service. So if your in an are that does not have LTE or HPSA+ (what they call 4G) you will only get Edge speeds. This happened with my kids iPhone 4's (but they are mostly in wifi so it did not matter to me). My iPhone 5 and 5s did not have this problem as those phones contain all of the radios.

Good Luck
~S