I just want to pipe in about the bike lock, hand drill, etc. type posts. Those are usually Thrifter articles. I’m ok with that since Thrifter is MoNa and it’s a way for them to share Thrifter links to accrue more capital which if effective could reduce or eventually remove the ads everyone so despises.
    I can see that point of view but it’s already a Thrifter article; there doesn’t need to be an iMore article about a Thrifter article about something on sale. We’re already inundated with Thrifter ads, including the in-line ads they’ve injected into the middle of threads. I personally think it’s too much.
    04-26-2018 11:40 AM
    I can see that point of view but it’s already a Thrifter article; there doesn’t need to be an iMore article about a Thrifter article about something on sale. We’re already inundated with Thrifter ads, including the in-line ads they’ve injected into the middle of threads. I personally think it’s too much.
    I believe they're innundating all the various sites such as iMore and AC with those Thrifter ads, since the majority of members don't bother reading or following Thrifter. I don't. I either have no use for the stuff Thrifter hawks or can get whatever I want at Amazon Prime.
    Rob Phillips and djrakowski like this.
    04-26-2018 05:57 PM
    I would prefer that they display the ads only at the blog sites and make the forums ad-free.
    Ledsteplin and Laura Knotek like this.
    04-26-2018 06:18 PM
    I'd prefer to see less non-news in the main site. Feels like a diluted experience. Some suggestions below that may help.

Just above where I am now typing this, there's a Thrifter box announcing "Today's 12 Best Tech Deals". Maybe put that banner on the main site, and people can click it if they want. Below this input box is the "You May Like" "Sponsored Links by Taboola" section, so could also put the Thrifter banner there to help consolidate ads in one place. Then add the small triangle option to "show/hide News" in the forum. Where "News" is not news, but more advertisements. Would help reduce the non-news articles for those who don't want to see them scattered about or taking up the right screen, clean up and declutter the main site, all the while while still getting the advertisement for Thrifter out there.

Appreciate that revenue is required, so don't fault the site owner for trying to generate it. Not an easy answer here perhaps.
    Last edited by Trees; 04-29-2018 at 09:09 AM.
    04-27-2018 07:24 AM
    Appreciate that revenue is required, so don't fault the site owner for trying to generate it. Not an easy answer here perhaps.
    I agree that the MoNa sites have to make money to stay afloat. However, of all the websites I visit MoNa ones are the worst. I paused blocking, reloaded, and counted all the trackers, ads, social network stuff, etc. and it showed 40 different items. That's just too much. I whitelist sites that I like that do non-obtrusive advertising. I don't mind seeing an ad here and there that doesn't take over the entire site.
    04-27-2018 08:54 AM
    To say this is a fine line to walk is almost an inadequate way of putting it....more like walking on a knife's blade. People don't want to see ads, and I get that point of view. Consumers see so many ads, I am curious if they even register anymore. I mean, how many of us can say when the last time we saw an ad that drove us to buy 'insert item x here'? I did have an ad that did do that....but it was so long ago, that I can't remember the ad or what it was for.

The other side of the knife's blade is this: a lot of forum members gave a resounding no to a subscription poll I posted on AC a while back. So this is the crux of the matter: people don't want ads, but don't want to help offset the costs to keep everything up and running. And I will admit, it's hard to go one full way or the other.

I honestly wouldn't mind kicking in a buck or two a month. For as much time as I spend on the forums, it would be well spent.
    04-27-2018 10:56 AM
    Consumers see so many ads, I am curious if they even register anymore. I mean, how many of us can say when the last time we saw an ad that drove us to buy 'insert item x here'?
    I’ve been using the internet as a part of my daily life for 23 years now. I have never, ever bought an item or subscribed to any service by clicking on an ad. I say this with 100% certainty. I am immune to advertising of all forms nowadays.
    04-27-2018 11:13 AM
    I’ve been using the internet as a part of my daily life for 23 years now. I have never, ever bought an item or subscribed to any service by clicking on an ad. I say this with 100% certainty. I am immune to advertising of all forms nowadays.
    Same here.
    04-27-2018 12:49 PM
    i definitely have purchased more than one item from an ad in my history of being on the internet. I don't think it's ever been an impulse purchase, but I have clicked on an ad to take me to a purchase that I've been considering for some time.
    04-28-2018 05:27 PM
    I just want to pipe in about the bike lock, hand drill, etc. type posts. Those are usually Thrifter articles. I’m ok with that since Thrifter is MoNa and it’s a way for them to share Thrifter links to accrue more capital which if effective could reduce or eventually remove the ads everyone so despises.
    Reduce or remove? Doubt it if they're bringing revenue too. Who's going to turn down $$? Would you turn down more money from your employer?

iMore is more of the "More" than the "i" anymore.
    05-04-2018 07:18 AM
    Advertising is an interesting business. I don't think they necessarily need us to click all the time. A big part of advertising is about the visibility of your products, and a hope that when you DO buy you'll remember the ad, OR the name of the product. I went to business college in the 90ies (University of Pennsylvania) and they were just starting to teach us about a new trend in advertising for TV commercials. You see they realized that most folks were zapping through the commercials at fast forward speed on their VCRs, etc, and that they only had your eyes for about 5 seconds, IF that. So they started a trend of making sure the product name and logo featured prominently in the ad and SOMETIMES they even keep the logo on the screen the WHOLE commercial so you saw it no matter what. I think that same principle applies here, they KNOW we don't click and that we try to ignore, BUT your eye DOES see the logo.
    anon(10092459) likes this.
    05-07-2018 02:43 PM
    Advertising is an interesting business. I don't think they necessarily need us to click all the time. A big part of advertising is about the visibility of your products, and a hope that when you DO buy you'll remember the ad, OR the name of the product. I went to business college in the 90ies (University of Pennsylvania) and they were just starting to teach us about a new trend in advertising for TV commercials. You see they realized that most folks were zapping through the commercials at fast forward speed on their VCRs, etc, and that they only had your eyes for about 5 seconds, IF that. So they started a trend of making sure the product name and logo featured prominently in the ad and SOMETIMES they even keep the logo on the screen the WHOLE commercial so you saw it no matter what. I think that same principle applies here, they KNOW we don't click and that we try to ignore, BUT your eye DOES see the logo.
    I find that really interesting. I never watch live tv. I DVR every show I watch, and watch after so I don't have to deal with commercials. I wonder if even though I FFWD through all the commercials, if I subliminally still get the overall gist of the commercial even though I don't actually sit through it.
    anon(10092459) likes this.
    05-07-2018 06:15 PM
    I can surely see that and agree with the post. I think most advertising is really to keep the name/brand/product top of mind. So FFWing through commercials or just thumbing through a magazine is enough to catch the eye.

I mean, think about it, the back cover of any magazine is one of the more expensive spaces to place an ad. Why is that? People don't read the back cover, right? However, when tossed on a table, nightstand or in your Dr's office face down, it's what people will see/glance at the most.
    pkcable likes this.
    05-07-2018 06:43 PM
    That actually makes sense!
    pkcable likes this.
    05-19-2018 10:09 AM
    Who are some of the iMore and MoNa sponsors? I try and make purchases from companies who sponsor the sites I frequent and just realized I don't do that for iMore and MoNa.
    05-19-2018 10:10 AM
    Who are some of the iMore and MoNa sponsors? I try and make purchases from companies who sponsor the sites I frequent and just realized I don't do that for iMore and MoNa.
    Check out the adverts on the site.
    06-22-2018 03:39 PM
    If iMore were to shutdown, we would all adjust and find a site that's similar, and you know it.
    I just stumbled across this thread again and I really can't believe what I'm reading. I will just reply to this post, more or less at random.

I see that I'm accused of being a "shill" for the owners of this site of the advertising companies that pay for the upkeep of this site. I actually have no association with either. But I am aware that it costs money to run a website. I am aware that staff need to be paid. They deserve nice things too.

The post I quoted seems particularly callous. So to be clear, you would be happy for the staff at Mobile Nations to lose their jobs so you can avoid seeing ads on the site?
    06-26-2018 04:20 AM
    I just stumbled across this thread again and I really can't believe what I'm reading. I will just reply to this post, more or less at random.

I see that I'm accused of being a "shill" for the owners of this site of the advertising companies that pay for the upkeep of this site. I actually have no association with either. But I am aware that it costs money to run a website. I am aware that staff need to be paid. They deserve nice things too.

The post I quoted seems particularly callous. So to be clear, you would be happy for the staff at Mobile Nations to lose their jobs so you can avoid seeing ads on the site?
    @Just_Me_D simply stated that it wouldn’t be the end of our tech forum days if the site were to ever shut down. To take that to mean he hopes the site does in fact shut down and that people—some of which he personally knows—lose their jobs and call him out for something he clearly didn’t say is unfair.
    If you read further down he actually states that he wishes ads stayed in the blogs but were removed from the forums.
    You’re taking the context of this thread way too seriously. Nobody hopes that the site shuts down. Nobody hopes that anybody loses their jobs. I think you’re just fishing for arguments and found a good spot to set your bait.
    Last edited by Rob Phillips; 06-26-2018 at 07:28 AM.
    Just_Me_D, Ledsteplin and Tartarus like this.
    06-26-2018 06:54 AM

I see that I'm accused of being a "shill" for the owners of this site of the advertising companies that pay for the upkeep of this site. I actually have no association with either.
    No one is accusing you of anything. Some of us are simply disagreeing with your reasoning in regard to ads and compensation.
    But I am aware that it costs money to run a website. I am aware that staff need to be paid. They deserve nice things too.
    . Yes, there is a cost to running iMore and there are several mechanisms in place for that to occur.

• Allowing the displaying of ads on the site
    • Allowing the displaying of ads or the mention of sponsors via its YouTube channel & podcasts
    • iMore Store Sales, to name a few.

Have you not noticed that the editors and other staff members do a great deal of traveling, and always seem to get the newest products each and every year FIRST! They are NOT hurting for money! The mechanisms mentioned above are doing well for them.

That's not even worth replying to because you already know the answer to that question. Having said that, how many tech sites do you frequent? If more than one, why? If for whatever reason, iMore were to shut down, is it safe to assume that you would either spend more time at your other tech sites or find a substitution? If the answer is yes, and I believe it is, then is it not what I said in my reply that you quoted?
    06-26-2018 08:39 AM
    I just saw this post in the news area: "Should I Eat A Protein Bar Before I Work Out?" Wait...what?!

Couldn't believe it at first, but then realized it was inevitable given the slow degradation of this site. So then I thought about creating a thread on the topic but found this thread and see y'all have been at it for some time!

Anyway, how far can we expect an Apple-centric site to stray?! It's currently a far cry from the old days when I first switched from Mobile Nations' Palm site. I mean, they're now advertising food?!

The only person who is still around who has a comprehensive perspective on everything Apple is Rene (anyone else miss Peter, Serenity, and Ally etc.?). Some of the new people post good stuff, but there's so much fluff, it's annoying as heck. Where are the comprehensive product shootouts? Haven't seen one in ages.

Bottom line: iMore is a shadow of its former self. I blame Pokemon Go.

Oh, well, it's just a web site. Luckily, Apple News sends headlines from other Apple-centric sites...
    04-05-2019 11:30 AM
    ....and now I see another post today, "Huawei P30 Pro vs iPhone XS – which should you buy?"

A controversial comparison, to say the least, but NO ability to comment and point out omissions that would provide much-needed prospective on the issue.

What's going on, iMore?!
    MasterDarque likes this.
    04-05-2019 08:51 PM
    ....and now I see another post today, "Huawei P30 Pro vs iPhone XS – which should you buy?"

A controversial comparison, to say the least, but NO ability to comment and point out omissions that would provide much-needed prospective on the issue.

What's going on, iMore?!
    I still enjoy the iMore forums, however, the blog side of things is pretty much a non-starter to me at this point. I’ve switched to other sites/blogs for more (imo) substantive Apple & mobile coverage.
    nikkisharif likes this.
    04-05-2019 09:30 PM
    Bottom line: iMore is a shadow of its former self. I blame Pokemon Go.
    Pokémon Go is literally when it started. I remember listening to iMore Show and Rene commenting on how he wrote an article about it just for fun and it got more traffic hits (i.e. ad revenue) than anything they’ve ever published. I knew right then that things were going to change. I also agree that the editorial staff used to be a lot better. Serenity was amazing but she left to work for Apple. Lory seems very cool and sweet on the iMore Show but she also seems clueless about lots of things a chief editor of an Apple blog should know.
    Annie_8plus likes this.
    04-06-2019 06:46 AM
    Pokémon Go is literally when it started. I remember listening to iMore Show and Rene commenting on how he wrote an article about it just for fun and it got more traffic hits (i.e. ad revenue) than anything they’ve ever published. I knew right then that things were going to change. I also agree that the editorial staff used to be a lot better. Serenity was amazing but she left to work for Apple. Lory seems very cool and sweet on the iMore Show but she also seems clueless about lots of things a chief editor of an Apple blog should know.
    My thoughts exactly!
    Rob Phillips likes this.
    04-06-2019 08:37 AM
    Change can be difficult to accept at times, especially for those of us who’ve been around here for many many years. We found a site that provided the type of information we sought as well as a community of like-minded people who genuinely enjoyed communicating with each other.

Many members have come and gone and now there seems to be a new generation of people who appear to not be as dedicated to this community - lat least not to the same degree as those before them, but that’s just my personal opinion.

Still, I am a big fan of iMore and the people associated with it. It is still an Apple-centric site, but have grown to include things not typically associated with Apple.
    Last edited by Just_Me_D; 04-06-2019 at 12:39 PM.
    Annie_8plus likes this.
    04-06-2019 10:05 AM
157 ... 4567