New Pop Up Question (Ad) makes forum unusable on Chromebook

mogelijk

iPad Champion
Champion
Jan 25, 2014
Visit site
I can't use this forum (or any of the "Central" forums) since you've added the new pop up asking what kind of cell plan I would like to see -- it pops up for just a moment on my Chromebook, then disappears, but leaves the forum grayed out. The forum works fine using the Chrome browser on my PC, so I'm not sure what is different with the Chromebook, since the two versions of Chrome are set up the same.

Part of what bothers me, I thought since I'd cleared the pop-up on my PC using my account, that I would also quit getting the pop-up on my Chromebook, where I'm also signed in. Instead, at this point it is impossible for me to use the forum on my Chromebook.

Trees

Dec 26, 2012
Visit site
Hate the pop ups! :raised-eyebrow:

This particular pop-up is/was particularly intrusive given that it renders the page "frozen" and completely unusable for the reader. I've been patient and willing to consume ads and deal with the random, poorly designed, and overbearing popups, audio and video ads that show up on all of the Mobile Nations sites.

I realize that some of the popups or ads are injected by the ad content providers, and that the Mobile Nations team may not have immediate knowledge of, or control over such ads or popups. I also realize that Mobile Nations has to generate ad revenue, so I've been putting up with the degraded site experience since overall I have enjoyed the site(s) authors, content, and forum communities.

When a pop-up like the one that has essentially made iMore and Androidcentral unusable occurs; that creates an unacceptable user experience, and gives the reader no choice but to start blocking ads so that the sites can be accessed and used.

mogelijk

iPad Champion
Champion
Jan 25, 2014
Visit site
Yesterday, the website started working for me again. For whatever reason, I was able to see the pop up yesterday (it didn't disappear) and get rid of it, and since that time I've been able to use the website on my Chromebook with no issues. Not sure if you changed something on your side, if I just got lucky, or it was an update on my Chromebook that fixed it. It is still something to watch and keep in mind the issues that can be caused by these pop ups.

James Falconer

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for reporting your issues! If you find something similar in the future, feel free to reach out me direct. Happy to investigate and fix (if I can) :)

njlx2016

Jun 2, 2015
Visit site
In the last month or so, the ads on this site (specifically within the forums) have gotten more intrusive. There is a full screen (!) popup that shows up after logging in, plus the smaller (but still intrusive) ad that creeps in from the right side of the screen.