Is there a possibility of Siri being usedby other apps?

Gushue

Oct 7, 2011
Visit site
I'd really love to see Siri somehow used in new games? I really don't know enough about anything to know if this is a possibility. Any ideas?

zackawee27

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
I'd really love to see Siri somehow used in new games? I really don't know enough about anything to know if this is a possibility. Any ideas?

Well, if the game makers wanted to make a voice option in a game, they didn't really need SIRI to make it. But, you probably can say on SIRI like "Go to App, Angry Birds" and it will go to it.

Jellotime91

Jan 4, 2009
Visit site
No. Siri is an OS-wide solution. It would screw up the other interactions with the device while in that app. It might be possible for them hitch hike off of Siri's technology in the future but I don't think this will happen until OS 6 or maybe 5.1. :p

@zack I don't think they will allow you to open apps with Siri as that doesn't really make sense in terms of usability. It would be infinitely easier to just open the app by tapping it.

Reactions: Gushue

zackawee27

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
No. Siri is an OS-wide solution. It would screw up the other interactions with the device while in that app. It might be possible for them hitch hike off of Siri's technology in the future but I don't think this will happen until OS 6 or maybe 5.1. :p

@zack I don't think they will allow you to open apps with Siri as that doesn't really make sense in terms of usability. It would be infinitely easier to just open the app by tapping it.

oh, yeah thats right. Haha, wasn't thinking their for a second.

Jellotime91

Jan 4, 2009
Visit site
I think in the future they probably will if not, the jailbreak community will help us out with that ;)

Ehh well any system the jailbreak community implements will be pretty damn useless, unless they can get every developer to program their apps according to this system. Aka not happening.

DrewBear

Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
I don't think they will allow you to open apps with Siri as that doesn't really make sense in terms of usability. It would be infinitely easier to just open the app by tapping it.

I actually think it will be useful to ask Siri to open an app. I have hundreds of apps in multiple folders. I don't use many of them frequently enough to remember where to find them. I know I can search for them, but Siri would be faster.

Gushue

Oct 7, 2011
Visit site
Do you think Siri will be able to access databases or sites other than the ones we already know about? I'm also really hopping that I can add events too specific calendars, such as my company calendar and my personal calendar. As more languages get added could it work as a translator? I would love to be able to say "How do you say 'I really enjoyed your work' in French?' and then have Siri translate for me.
SO MUCH SPECULATION!

Gushue

Oct 7, 2011
Visit site
I don't think they will allow you to open apps with Siri as that doesn't really make sense in terms of usability. It would be infinitely easier to just open the app by tapping it.

Well, That would be true if it was an app that I was going to need to use with my hands and I was nearby. But what if I want it to open something like Spotify or Pandora, could it's music commands work with applications other than the Music app

davjaxn

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
Siri in iOS 5 on the iPhone 4S is just the beginning- if it is well received and used. Apple is well known for allowing things to stagnate without additional updates or support if the technology in question isn't a huge success (can you blame them?!). From Game Center to Ping to MobileMe, Apple has let things fall by the waste side when the public does not fully embrace it.

With Siri, I think there is a great opportunity to turn a corner in not only mobile/handheld computing but on the desktop as well. And I think allowing Siri to be pervasive in all aspects of the iPhone is part of that. Also as much as people complaon about touch screens and soft keyboards, Siri shiukd make things easier. The next few years is going to be really interesting and exciting. It's a shame Steve won't be around to see it- and lead it.

Last edited:

ulnek

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site

oh i was kind of looking forward to using it to say check into foursquare or getglue >_< since i use mostly apps and siri won't work with apps then i'll probably hardly use it. sad.

DrewBear

Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
During the presentation last week they did point out that Siri is still beta. They will be adding languages and services.

Farmdreads

Apr 8, 2009
Visit site
There is just as much of a chance of Siri being used by other apps as there is of monkey's flying out of my butt. (Sorry, that is from a movie I think.)

MustangLife

Oct 30, 2009
Visit site
I think in the future they probably will if not, the jailbreak community will help us out with that ;)

+1 - 15 Notification Center tweaks are already live on Cydia. Some really good ones and some not so good ones. But there is no limits to what developers can do once they get Iphone4S's to play with also. The jailbreak tweaks will be coming out fast and soon. I'm more excited about the jailbreak world for the 4S than I am ios5 itself and the 4S. Only time will tell

DrewBear

Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
There is just as much of a chance of Siri being used by other apps as there is of monkey's flying out of my butt.

I agree that Siri will not be openly available to 3rd party apps. Apple will tightly control which apps can incorporate the feature so that it doesn't conflict with anything else. They've already incorporated Yelp & Wofram Alpha. I'm sure they're working on making it work with maps/GPS, airline and restaraunt reservations, etc. It works with messaging, but not with email. That will change very quickly.

What we see today is only the beginning. Siri is a very big deal.

Jellotime91

Jan 4, 2009
Visit site
I actually think it will be useful to ask Siri to open an app. I have hundreds of apps in multiple folders. I don't use many of them frequently enough to remember where to find them. I know I can search for them, but Siri would be faster.

I don't actually think Siri would be faster than using spotlight.. But I guess that depends on your own use.

You know, I haven't used Spotlight in forever.... I almost think Apple should kill it or minimize it in some way... Nobody uses it. o_o