New Upgrade to High Sierra?

anon(631531)

Nov 3, 2010
Visit site
Just a couple of questions for some of you tech savvy guys. I know that High Sierra will work on my mid 2010 MacBook Pro, however, i need to know if it will effect the hard drive partition that i made for my Windows 10. Also, please explain to me, in plain English please, how High Sierra will effect my external hard drive that i use for my Time Machine back-ups with regards to re-formatting the drive. Thanks, and i really appreciate any answers that you guys could give me.:p

Abu Khadija

Oct 19, 2016
Visit site
I have the 2017 15” MacBook Pro and I partitioned the ssd drive myself. I couldn’t believe how easy it was. With my late 2013 15” I took it somewhere and they crashed the hard drive twice before it worked. Anyway, I am not having a problem so far. I downloaded High Sienna yesterday and it seems to work fine.

With regards to the external drive and the time machine backup, I don’t have these so hopefully someone will let you know about these.

anon(631531)

Nov 3, 2010
Visit site
I have the 2017 15” MacBook Pro and I partitioned the ssd drive myself. I couldn’t believe how easy it was. With my late 2013 15” I took it somewhere and they crashed the hard drive twice before it worked. Anyway, I am not having a problem so far. I downloaded High Sienna yesterday and it seems to work fine.

With regards to the external drive and the time machine backup, I don’t have these so hopefully someone will let you know about these.

Thanks for the quick reply.

Kevin Harvell

Aug 23, 2012
Visit site
Just a couple of questions for some of you tech savvy guys. I know that High Sierra will work on my mid 2010 MacBook Pro, however, i need to know if it will effect the hard drive partition that i made for my Windows 10. Also, please explain to me, in plain English please, how High Sierra will effect my external hard drive that i use for my Time Machine back-ups with regards to re-formatting the drive. Thanks, and i really appreciate any answers that you guys could give me.:p

When are you planning on updating your MacBook Pro? I'm thinking of updating mine this weekend after the audio edits I need to make this week are finished.

francesca108

Sep 27, 2017
Visit site
The High Sierra new file system will only update SSD boot drives. According to Apple it will not update fusion drives, spinning media drive, or any external media.

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
The High Sierra new file system will only update SSD boot drives. According to Apple it will not update fusion drives, spinning media drive, or any external media.

True, but I’ve heard they’re working on fusion drive support for an upcoming update.

anon(631531)

Nov 3, 2010
Visit site
True, but I’ve heard they’re working on fusion drive support for an upcoming update.

OK, so where does that leave me? If i upgrade to HS, what happens to my 1tb external hard drive? Will it still make back-ups? Will i have to wipe the drive? Will i have to reformat it? What happens to the drive after reformatting, and i decide to go back to Sierra? Too many questions, and not enough answers. I think that i'll stay with what i have.:p

Bazza1

Mar 13, 2011
Visit site
Practical experience in the last 24 hours suggests that High Sierra has backwards compatibility with my 'old' AFS+ Time Machine / External Drive HDD, as well as a number of AFS+ formatted USB drives. Able to read / write to all - so far.

I'm sure Apple will find a way to make that impossible in time - proprietary products and forced obsolescence being their thing - so going forward I'll probably format external drives for that. Except, of course, I'll also then need to get a SSD to do the bigger backups / Time Machine.

anon(631531)

Nov 3, 2010
Visit site
Practical experience in the last 24 hours suggests that High Sierra has backwards compatibility with my 'old' AFS+ Time Machine / External Drive HDD, as well as a number of AFS+ formatted USB drives. Able to read / write to all - so far.

I'm sure Apple will find a way to make that impossible in time - proprietary products and forced obsolescence being their thing - so going forward I'll probably format external drives for that. Except, of course, I'll also then need to get a SSD to do the bigger backups / Time Machine.

So does that mean that all my time machine back-ups, on my external hard drive, are useless? Do i have to wipe my hard drive, or re-format it?:confused:

Bazza1

Mar 13, 2011
Visit site
So does that mean that all my time machine back-ups, on my external hard drive, are useless? Do i have to wipe my hard drive, or re-format it?:confused:

Well, I haven’t tried to do a Time Machine (‘old’ file system) import to my MacBook, but the OS seems to still be doing exports to my Time Machine.

My feeling on this is that we’re currently okay - files back and forth as updated by Time Machine should be compatible should you need to roll back.

Besides, the new file system introduced with High Sierra does not actually work on HDD (or fusion) drives - so a person can upgrade to the new OS on a Mac with a HDD, but then they then need to downgrade the file system back to Sierra.

anon(631531)

Nov 3, 2010
Visit site
Well, I haven’t tried to do a Time Machine (‘old’ file system) import to my MacBook, but the OS seems to still be doing exports to my Time Machine.

My feeling on this is that we’re currently okay - files back and forth as updated by Time Machine should be compatible should you need to roll back.

Besides, the new file system introduced with High Sierra does not actually work on HDD (or fusion) drives - so a person can upgrade to the new OS on a Mac with a HDD, but then they then need to downgrade the file system back to Sierra.

OK. I guess that I'll make a Sierra back-up, and stick it in my downloads, just in case I want to go back to Sierra, and the ext.HD isn't working. Thanks.

anon(631531)

Nov 3, 2010
Visit site
High Sierra upgrade is done. It took 3 hours, from start to finish, probably because my MBP is Mid-2010. It's all good, except for the fact that my external hd icon does not show up on my home screen. It is making a back-up, but only has the icon on the status bar. Haven't figured that one out yet, but if anyone has a fix, please let me know. Thanks.

anon(631531)

Nov 3, 2010
Visit site
High Sierra upgrade is done. It took 3 hours, from start to finish, probably because my MBP is Mid-2010. It's all good, except for the fact that my external hd icon does not show up on my home screen. It is making a back-up, but only has the icon on the status bar. Haven't figured that one out yet, but if anyone has a fix, please let me know. Thanks.

Got it done. Had to reformat my ext hd, but it's doing a back-up. The first back-up will take a long, long time, but it should go faster after that. By the way, after i re-formatted to the new file system on my ext hd, it automatically went back to the old file system. I guess it's true...You can't teach an old dog new tricks. Semper Fi.:p

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williams77