Bootcamp Newbie Backup Question

swandy

Oct 26, 2012
Visit site
I was always running Windows (XP, 7 then 8.1) under Parallels and decided to switch to Bootcamp. I installed my Windows 7 under Bootcamp and then upgraded to Windows 10 and basically everything is running fine.
However, I was using Carbon Copy Cloner to make backups of my Windows 7 files (when running under Parallels) and apparently CCC does not play well with Windows (at least Windows 10) on a Bootcamp partition according to their developer. All it kept doing was locking up my iMac.
Decided I would try to use the Windows built in backup and cloning programs but I keep getting error messages. Spoke to Windows tech and it apparently has something to do with some a service (VSS) not running properly, or some other Windows crap. I can't even get Windows to setup a Restore Point. (NOW I remember why I switched to a Mac years ago!!!)

Anyway two questions:
(1) For those running Windows 10 - or even an older version of Windows - under Bootcamp: do you have any problems setting System Restore points or using the built in software in Windows to create an Image Backup of your Windows installation?
(2) How do you do backups of your Bootcamp partition? What program - either on the Windows side or the OS X side - do you use? Because it seems that Time Machine can't back it up either.

Thanks, Steve

Bigeric23

Aug 17, 2010
Visit site
I had way too many issues using Bootcamp, so now I run Windows in a VM (VirtualBox - Free) and have less problems.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williams77