So I am currently staying at a hotel and I don't have my mi-fi with me which is usually how I get on the Internet when I am away. After I connected to the hotels wifi I tried going to Facebook and I get a pop up that says "safari can't verify the identity of the website "www.facebook.com."" What does this mean? It says that the certificate is invalid and that I might be connecting to a website that is pretending to be "www.facebook.com", and also asks if I want to connect anyways. Is this safe? Am I being dooped? Sorry if this was a noobish question but I get concerned about the safety of my information
    03-29-2013 10:45 PM
    Mac OS X v10.5.7: Cannot verify identity of website using custom Certificate Authority in Safari or Mail
    If you install a custom Certificate Authority in the System keychain and enable the option to "Always Trust", Safari may not trust websites using certificates signed by this Certificate Authority. When visiting such a website you may see the alert "Safari can't verify the identity of the website".

https://service.goshen.edu/support/i...of-the-website
    If when going to a secure website (a website that begins with 'https') you receive a message that Safari can't verify the identity of the website, as long as you know that this is a site that you can trust, you can take the following action to add a certificate exception so you may view the website.

• Click 'Show Certificate'
    • Click on the arrow next to 'Trust'
    • For 'When using this certificate' select "Always Trust" from the drop-down list.
    • Click on Continue

Personally speaking, if you haven't install any certificates and you have never seen that message pop up while attempting to access Facebook before, then I would not continue. I would also try accessing Facebook with another browser or via my mobile device's Facebook app.
    03-30-2013 12:06 AM
    I believe the problem was that when I tried to access Facebook I only joined the hotels wifi network and did not wait for my browser to load the hotels web page where I was supposed to click connect to the Internet after I joined the wifi. I tried to access Facebook right away and did not wait. If any of that makes sense. I think I am good, but please let me know if you think I am not. And also what steps should I take to ensure my information is safe
    03-30-2013 12:39 AM
    Here is a photo Safari problem-imageuploadedbyimore-forums1364618744.275463.jpg
    03-30-2013 12:46 AM
    Also, when trying to access Facebook in chrome it just keeps reloading to the hotels main page. When I click connect to the Internet button on the hotels page it then allows me to go. I assume that I am/was worried over nothing? Correct me if I am wrong though.
    03-30-2013 12:48 AM
    Also, when trying to access Facebook in chrome it just keeps reloading to the hotels main page. When I click connect to the Internet button on the hotels page it then allows me to go. I assume that I am/was worried over nothing? Correct me if I am wrong though.
    Yes, that is normal behavior when connecting to the Internet via a hotspot operated by a business so in that regard, you should be okay, but as with all public hotspots, take common sense precautions to safeguard yourself and your data. I wouldn't 'login' to places of importance and I would just 'surf' the web or use an already configured app to access certain things.
    03-30-2013 01:08 AM
    So I have nothing to worry about right now? Also one last question. I had gotten a pop up saying "messages agent wants to use the login keychain" I want to think this pop up has nothing to do with my other situation and is a separate issue that is in regard to iChat/iMessage? Sorry for being a PITA, just curious as to what is going on.
    03-30-2013 01:26 AM
    So I have nothing to worry about right now?
    Probably not, but I'm not there...
    Also one last question. I had gotten a pop up saying "messages agent wants to use the login keychain" I want to think this pop up has nothing to do with my other situation and is a separate issue that is in regard to iChat/iMessage?
    That is not normal, at least in my experience, and I've been on quite a bit of hotspots. I would not give it access to your login keychain.
    Sorry for being a PITA, just curious as to what is going on.
    You're not a PITA at all, my friend......I enjoy helping out whenever I can. Anyway, take care and enjoy the rest of your Easter weekend.
    sprocket2107 likes this.
    03-30-2013 09:48 AM
    Much appreciated. One last thing, what happens if I get that messages agent pop up when home on m own secure network? Would it be safe to give it access to my keychain? Again, thank you for all your help. Have a great weekend!
    03-30-2013 11:35 AM
    Much appreciated. One last thing, what happens if I get that messages agent pop up when home on m own secure network? Would it be safe to give it access to my keychain? Again, thank you for all your help. Have a great weekend!
    I would say yes......However, make sure to scan for viruses and such before logging back on to your personal network.
    03-30-2013 11:40 AM
    Is clam xav adequate?
    03-30-2013 12:19 PM
    Is clam xav adequate?
    Yes, it is, in my opinion. Besides, that is what I use.
    03-30-2013 12:46 PM
    Thanks a bunch. Again, have a great weekend!
    Just_Me_D likes this.
    03-30-2013 03:03 PM