Looking to enter the mix

LSglock89

Apr 3, 2011
Visit site
I'm sure I am going to get an array of opinions...but that is what I am looking for.

I have been a Microsoft user since I have had a computer...for no particular reason other than lack of a better reason...well cost too. Also I have been anti-Apple for quite some time, until my sister offered to pay half my upgrade price on an iPhone 4 a while back. I have been back and forth on the iP4 but mostly love it. I probably could not live without it...except for I do love a tactile keyboard like BlackBerry offers.

Anyways, I am wanting to try something different and I really want to get a new computer. I am finishing up my last year of college after withdrawing and want a fresh start.

Budget is $1500 max with tax if possible. I am not a gamer, I like to play games but I am not a gamer. I would like to load my pictures and maybe do some picture/video editing, however nothing serious.

I have a 14" Toshiba Satellite so I do not think I would have an issue with either the 13" MBA or MBP. I really like the thin/light aspect of the Air but the Pro seems to be more computer.

The thought of spending $1500 of a laptop boggles my mind a bit but hell I spent $1500 on my 1911 handgun and its the nicest thing I have ever shot.

So help me sway to the Mac side and push me to one or the other.

-David

CG68

Jul 12, 2011
Visit site
One thing to consider if cost is an issue should you do decide on purchasing a Mac is to check out Apple's refurbished Mac store. There are some great deals if you don't want to pay full retail or want the latest and greatest. You also get the one year warranty just as if you were purchasing a brand new one.

In regards to the MBP vs MBA decision on thing to consider is that the ram & hard drive are user upgradeable on the Pro. The ssd is upgradeable on the Air but not the ram. Others can chime in with their input. Hope this helps.

Link below:

Refurbished Mac Computers - Refurbished Notebooks & Desktop Computers - Apple Store (U.S.)

LSglock89

Apr 3, 2011
Visit site
Yes, I have considered the refurb units. One thing that was pushing me towards new was the education pricing and the $100 App/iTunes gift card...which in the grand scheme of things is not a huge deal, but is still nice.

I was thinking IF I were to get a MBP upgrading to an SSD...it would seem to be cheaper than buying the 256gb SSD as configured from Apple.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
Best Buy's typically carry Apple computers (FYI...if you have a Best Buy near you).

As far as the MBA vs. MBP, it really comes down to what you want to do in the future (and obviously your preference cosmetically). The MBA is not going to be as "build friendly" down the road, you'll run into limitations in your power upgrades, memory upgrades, etc...but you start with a basis that is built to prevent the degradation you typically find in normal, HDD based computers.

I prefer the Macbook Pro because of the extensive upgrades available to it (of which i have taken advantage of on my current machine). I can enjoy the power and speed of my SSD combined with the immense storage of a normal, large HDD (and i retained my DVD drive as well via USB enclosure). I also like the weight of my MBP vs. the Air, the Air to me felt so thin and light, i didn't feel comfortable lugging it around in my bag all the time (though I'm sure it would be fine, it's just a psychological thing).

To be honest, if you remain a little patient, you'll find your budget will probably include the upcoming 13" retina model MBP...and while, from what I've read/heard about the current 15" model, the upgrades will not be any easier or plentiful than the MBA's we have right now, it will give you a bit more horsepower under the hood vs. the Air.

LSglock89

Apr 3, 2011
Visit site
I don't think a retina display laptop would be something I would utilize to its full advantage. My best buy does not carry Macs, I think they closest BB that does is about as far away as an Apple Store.

Is it difficult to swap the HDD in a MBP to an SSD? And by not difficult, I mean can someone who really has not torn into a computer before do it?

I can take apart my Glocks and 1911 and put the back together and they go bang...would it take much more skill than that to swap those out?

Also is would there be a certain SSD that you would point me to that would be a good mate? I'd like to have a 256gb...I could get by with a 128gb I suppose and have an external.

Thanks for the thoughts.

CG68

Jul 12, 2011
Visit site
Is it difficult to swap the HDD in a MBP to an SSD? And by not difficult, I mean can someone who really has not torn into a computer before do it?

I can take apart my Glocks and 1911 and put the back together and they go bang...would it take much more skill than that to swap those out?

Also is would there be a certain SSD that you would point me to that would be a good mate? I'd like to have a 256gb...I could get by with a 128gb I suppose and have an external.

Thanks for the thoughts.

I'm not technically inclined whatsoever and I've swapped out the hdd for an ssd a few times already without any issues. I just watched a couple of how to vids on Youtube. Just make sure you have the right screwdrivers (Torx T-6 in particular).

As for the ssd type I have used Crucial M4 ssd's. I've had no issues with them at all but I did need to upgrade the firmware on them. You can find them on Newegg, Amazon, eBay, etc...

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
The comparison to firearm disassembly as far as physical replacement is a good one, it really doesn't require much knowledge as far as computers go to physically put the drive into the system (and there are tons of DIY's online about it to follow).

Where the experience will come in is getting that drive ready for installation (again, where those DIY's will come in handy)...it's not hard by any means, but it's kind of like the assembly of the gun vs. the cleaning of the gun, someone who has never cleaned a firearm before would probably look at the cleaning tools and just kind of sit there thinking "Ok, now what?" It's straight forward, but it isn't as simple as dropping the hard drive in and going...there are some things that have to be setup before it can be used.

As far as the retina model goes, i was more referring to it's form factor (combined with its abilities) when i made the suggestion...it's about as close as you'll get to the MBA (while retaining some real power). That said, i'm a real supporter of a well built normal screen'ed MBP because honestly, the screen looks fantastic either way, and i like to have huge storage through HDD as well as SSD.