iMac 27" - To Buy, Or Not To Buy?

Jellotime91

Jan 4, 2009
Visit site
That, is the question.

So there have been plenty of rumors going around about a new 27" iMac coming out in "Late 2011". I am, however, considering buying one this Friday... Do you think it's a good idea to wait until later this year, or should I buy it now (due to minimal updates)?

I plan on keeping it for a long time as my home computer, so I want to make sure I get the best buy.

GibMcFragger

Sep 5, 2010
Visit site
I am pondering the same thing. The 3.1GHz is $400 cheaper if I get a refurb from Apple too, so that's extra tempting.

Beamed over the interwebz from my iPhone 4 on iOS 5 b7 using Tapatalk.

anon(4144202)

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
I have one but I bought mine in June. I doubt they would update it this early if they do I'm sure it's going to be small updates. The big one was I think this past may. I think you would be satisfied if u were to get one now depending on your needs. The updates they gave them a few months ago seem to make them future proof for the foreseeable future.

Jellotime91

Jan 4, 2009
Visit site
@Puppets
Yeaaah true... Refurbs are extra tempting from Apple.

@Herm611
You are probably right, Thunderbolt seems to be the most important update for the next few years going forward. Still, it's a $2000 purchase.. Hopefully if there is a new one coming they'll put it up on the store on the 4th or something.

DaPhoneking

Oct 5, 2011
Visit site
Personally, I would. Even if they do update it it would be sometime next year. Just depends if you want/need it now or if you can hold out until the new ones come out. Even if they do update it it shouldn't be a phenomenal change, just updates to the processor or other minute stuff.

Jellotime91

Jan 4, 2009
Visit site
Personally, I would. Even if they do update it it would be sometime next year. Just depends if you want/need it now or if you can hold out until the new ones come out. Even if they do update it it shouldn't be a phenomenal change, just updates to the processor or other minute stuff.

I already bought the Air so I'm gonna try and wait a bit before I buy the iMac. I would feel silly spending $4000 out the gate on Macs.. lol

Jellotime91

Jan 4, 2009
Visit site
Look into thunderbolt to use with you MBA and pick up a Mac mini for home desktop

Nah Mac Mini is a bad value. The iMac's biggest draw for me is that big, beautiful, high-res display. The cheapest way to get a Mac with that display is the 27" iMac. Mac Mini is underpowered and overpriced, not to mention I'd have to spend another $1000 to get the display, and it wouldn't even be equal in power to the 27" iMac.

Corey Sauve

Nov 1, 2011
Visit site
mac minis are weaker, but mine's plugged into my 46" LED HDTV, and I'm typing this while chilling in lounger in my living room(home office). So they have their advantages too;)

korp#IM

Nov 27, 2010
Visit site
I have one but I bought mine in June. I doubt they would update it this early if they do I'm sure it's going to be small updates. The big one was I think this past may. I think you would be satisfied if u were to get one now depending on your needs. The updates they gave them a few months ago seem to make them future proof for the foreseeable future.

Agreed ... I bought one at about the same time and upgraded the OS to Lion when that came out. At that time I believe it had just been updated.

GibMcFragger

Sep 5, 2010
Visit site
I just picked up a 27" i7 Refurb iMac and I freaking love it! Nothing slows this beast down. It KILLS my previous PC. I am never going back.

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
The screen has to be HUGE. I replaced my wife's aging HP laptop with a 21" iMac and it's some serious screen real estate right in your face... I can't imagine what the 27" screen looks like!

GibMcFragger

Sep 5, 2010
Visit site
The screen has to be HUGE. I replaced my wife's aging HP laptop with a 21" iMac and it's some serious screen real estate right in your face... I can't imagine what the 27" screen looks like!
It's like staring into the sun, lol.

This thing is blazing fast. I am glad I got the i7. I re-encoded Despicable Me as a test to compare it to my previous i3 PC.

The PC took over an hour to encode it and averaged about 28fps while doing so.

My iMac.......6 mins averaging 420fps. :eek:

DaPhoneking

Oct 5, 2011
Visit site

This thing is blazing fast. I am glad I got the i7. I re-encoded Despicable Me as a test to compare it to my previous i3 PC.

DAAAAAAMMMMMNNNN!!!! I gotta get one nao!!! :eek: :eek: :eek:

Hail Caesar

Mar 27, 2011
Visit site

Thats some serious horsepower, I have an iMac 2010 i5 Quad, and I encoded Scent of a Woman in about 30 minutes.

Bias X

Aug 2, 2011
Visit site

Not really fair comparing an i3 to a i7 :p just saying.
What was the RAM difference or was it the same?

Not that I don't agree. My MBP tends to out do my PC in multimedia tasks such as Ripping/burning a movie or making a montage on final cut pro as opposed to Sony Vegas pro on my PC.
But the Windows definitely has its advantages in gaming among other things :)

Cujaflow

Dec 31, 2011
Visit site
I apologize if this is not in the right area, but i didn't want to start a new thread. I purchased my iMac 27" in December, just recently i started hearing a stuttering sound from the unit. It occurs while in sleep and while in use. It happens sporadically. It sounds like a fan, but I'm not sure. Has anyone experienced this?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2