New 3G Shipping Date

guinness0514

Jul 25, 2008
Visit site
for orders that were not pre-ordered before the last two days or so. If you ordered before that, you are still on for "late April"

whmurray

Aug 20, 2003
Visit site
Received the following from Apple this am.

" Thank you for your recent order of the magical and revolutionary
iPad 3G.

We would like to confirm that your order will be shipped in late
April as communicated at the time you placed your order. You will
receive a confirmation notice when your order has shipped."

I assume that this means the last day of April but April only has thirty days. It is not May 7.

BriDroid

Mar 22, 2010
www.nakedipad.com
I haven't received my email yet either, but ordered on March 22nd. Whatever will be will be. I'd like it sooner, but even May 7th isn't the end of the world -- Just 2.5 weeks away.

whmurray

Aug 20, 2003
Visit site
yeah I haven't got a notification yet. ordered mine the 2nd day of pre-orders....wonder why?
Mine was not a "notification," but only a reassurance that they have not forgotten either me or "late April." If one did not order until day two, in other words was not really serious, they probably think no reassurance is required.:)

traylorc

Jun 13, 2009
Visit site
I received the same e-mail assuring me that my unit will ship by late April. However, to be honest I only placed my order about a week and half ago.

It's unclear whether the May 7th shipping date applies to everyone, or does that date apply to any who places an order from this point on? It is not totally unreasonable to expect Apple to do a staggered rollout of the 3g units. Take care of the customers who have already pre-ordered their units and get their units shipped by late April. Those customers who place orders from this point forward would have their units shipped no later than May 7th.

Could be just wishful thinking on my part.

BriDroid

Mar 22, 2010
www.nakedipad.com
I received my email reassuring me of the "late April" shipping date about 45 minutes ago. "Late April" is so fuzzy -- I suppose it's better than "end of April" ;)

VLennert

Apr 17, 2010
Visit site
Just got off the phone with 1800MYAPPLE. I was calling to find out how in the world to pre-order my iPad because I was wanting to order one to pick up in person in the Apple store (versus waiting for it to ship to me). The Apple store told me that I could not preorder one for pick up until Apple released a release date. So I was caught in this can't order online to pick up in store and can't preorder in store to pick up in person until there is a release date thing...

This morning I called the store to preorder because the May 7th date was released. They wouldn't allow me to preorder. So I called 1800MYAPPLE and asked just what the heck I was supposed to do to be able to reserve one for pick up in the store since there was no release date and the store wouldn't let me reserve.

They lady basically told me two things. And yes, you're gonna have to take my word for it, so take it for what its worth.

1) The shipping date is officially "BY May 7th".
2) I then asked, "Is the May 7th date for everyone? Or for people recently ordering them like I am today?" She responded by saying, "As far as I know, it is for everyone. However, the 'by' tells me that they are planning on starting to ship them out before the May 7th date, so some people's may be shipped before May 7th, but they all will be shipped BY May 7th.
3) Shipping delivery will happen the SAME DAY that the 3G's are available in store, which she suspects will be May 8th. You won't get your iPad any faster by waiting in line at a store and you would risk not being able to take one home without a preorder.

Take all that for what it's worth. It sounds like at the absolute worst, we'll have our 3G's by May 8th, some people may get them sooner.

Oh and yes, I gave up fighting with the he said/she said order online/pick up in store garbage and just placed my order for the 3G. Man, why does this have to be SO complicated?!?

Last edited:

BriDroid

Mar 22, 2010
www.nakedipad.com
Given that my "reassurance" email from Apple that I received about an hour ago states that my iPad is still scheduled to ship "late April" with Priority shipping, I'm still confident that I'll receive my iPad 3G before May 7th, and possibly even before the end of April. It's my understanding that any NEW orders, placed within the last couple days and onward, are receiving shipping commitments of May 7th. Either way, the worst-case scenario is only 2.5 weeks away.

VLennert

Apr 17, 2010
Visit site
Yup, I directly got the same impression from the lady. Some people (who pre-ordered earlier) will get theirs sooner and the rest will get them shipped by May 7th. The whole staggered shipping thing makes sense...

At least we have some sort of date for the worse case scenerio, tho.

whmurray

Aug 20, 2003
Visit site
I received my email reassuring me of the "late April" shipping date about 45 minutes ago. "Late April" is so fuzzy -- I suppose it's better than "end of April" ;)
Glass half full. "Late April" is consistent with, not to say congruent with, the "end of April." Aren't you glad to have this wonderful space in which to parse Apple's ambiguous messages?

BriDroid

Mar 22, 2010
www.nakedipad.com
Glass half full. "Late April" is consistent with, not to say congruent with, the "end of April." Aren't you glad to have this wonderful space in which to parse Apple's ambiguous messages?

Oh yes indeed! Apple does have a way of adding spice to life, be it their products or their ambiguous availability dates ;)

VLennert

Apr 17, 2010
Visit site
And of course, now that I've placed the order for the 3G...I get a call from the Apple store saying my WiFi model is ready for pick up. GRRRRRRRRRRRRR....

BriDroid

Mar 22, 2010
www.nakedipad.com
And of course, now that I've placed the order for the 3G...I get a call from the Apple store saying my WiFi model is ready for pick up. GRRRRRRRRRRRRR....

What a conundrum. Will you pick up the WiFi iPad? Wait instead for the 3G? Or pick up the WiFi now and return it in 14 days after you have your 3G?? Eating the 10% restocking fee, of course.

VLennert

Apr 17, 2010
Visit site
What a conundrum. Will you pick up the WiFi iPad? Wait instead for the 3G? Or pick up the WiFi now and return it in 14 days after you have your 3G?? Eating the 10% restocking fee, of course.

LOL..it sounds like you are an announcer for a reality TV series..haha

I think I'm gonna just let it go. I don't have the $1300.00 to pay for both of them this week. If I did, I'd probably pick it up and then resell it on Ebay for more than I paid for it :)

BriDroid

Mar 22, 2010
www.nakedipad.com
LOL..it sounds like you are an announcer for a reality TV series..haha

I think I'm gonna just let it go. I don't have the $1300.00 to pay for both of them this week. If I did, I'd probably pick it up and then resell it on Ebay for more than I paid for it :)

Did you hear that, ladies and gentleman? He's letting. it. go. lol
Yes, my decision to wait and delay my gratification was purely economical -- I didn't want to fork out the dough for two iPads nor part with a restocking fee. I guess I have a price on my patience ;)

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2