iPad mini review - 4 months later!

Yankeexpress

Jan 7, 2011
Visit site
I won my iPad mini at work as a safety prize incentive, it is only 16GB 3G.
It's ok but my iPad 3 is my daily driver due to the Retina screen and 64GB.
I use the Mini for Waze and iExit in the car tethered to either my jail broken 4S or my Verizon iPad 3.

One thing I believe is critical with any iPad is to get the GPS capability only the 3G models have.
GPS is rarely mentioned in reviews and Apple needs to be commended for making it available.
As a ship captain, to have a hand held navigation chart plotter with this long battery life is awesome.
The app called iNavX is the best for any sea going navigator.
Put the iPad in a Ziplock bag and it's all-weather utility is unbeatable on deck at sea, whether on my sailboat or ship.
The mini works too, but the Retina screen will be worth upgrading to when it is released.

jonathan2677

Dec 22, 2012
Visit site
The nice thing about the mini is its lte also my 4th gen I have them both on Verizon and love the data anywhere, does the 3rd gen have lte or only 3G ? Also since I got my mini my 4th gen don't leave the house I almost never touch it,if I could do over I would have got the 4th gen in wifi only because the mini is tops for carrying with you and I would never want a mini without cellular!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

JobSteves

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
While the screen sucks compared to the ipad 3 and 4 if you just do your daily stuff on the mini without focusing in the screen you find that after a few minute you hardly even notice it. I know that you have to look at the screen all the time but you also have to hold it all the time too.

That is why I love its form factor. So light and thin it's almost unreal. I love the mini more than my fianc?'s ipad 4.

The form factor is more of a deal breaker for me than non retina. The weight of the ipad 3/4 is more uncomfortable to me with the mini than the screen on the mini is compared to the 3/4. If the ipad mini 2 has retina it'll have to be bigger and thicker thus making it completely pointless.

Just my 2 cents.

Chuck Norton

Apr 15, 2013
Visit site
I'm glad I stumbled on this review of iPad Mini after 4 months. I was intrigued by the idea of smaller 7 inch iPad since the first one came out. I was very close to buying one. I was a bit disappointed it didn't have the Retina display. I couldn't justify getting the iPad 4 for my deployment to Afghanistan. It seemed to big to carry around everyday compared to my iPhone 4S and too limited compared to my Macbook Pro. After some time out here I found I used my iPhone for everything except a phone. Phone service with local Afghan networks is spotty at best and after a few months of wanting a bigger screen for ebooks and I'm selling my Iphone and going with iPad Mini. I've considered Android tablets but I'm not impressed by the ecosystem. Hardware wise Android tablets like the Nexus will always be better than Apple but I just dont see the benefit if the apps aren't there. Plus factor in things like iMessenger, availability of ruggedized cases Im find the few draw backs of the iPad Mini are minimal at best. As Derek said,"there is no perfect tablet", I think you have to have that attitude when comes to deciding between the iPad, iPad Mini or even going with a tablet in the first place. I bought the first iPad when it went on sale and ended up sending back because I couldn't justify the cost, small number of apps and it seemed too big. I might as well carry a cheap netbook or 11" Macbook Air. I think were the iPad Mini will succeed is when they come out with the Retina display. Those of us on fence that stuck with regular iPad due to the lack of Retina may be inclined to switch to the mini. I'm curious if iPad Mini will secure larger percentage of iOS users than iPad or iPod touch.
Then I think many will opt for the smaller portability. One of the few criticisms I have for the iPad since it first came out is its almost too big to carry around. There obviously a market for the current iPad 4 but I think Apple over looked the 7 inch tablet market when they released the iPad 2. A tablet no matter how good the specs is still limited by having only a touch screen interface. You can add a keyboard but a tablet is meant for portability. Just my 2 cents.

JobSteves

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
If the ipad mini 2 has retina it'll have to be bigger and thicker thus making it completely pointless.

Just my 2 cents.

I said that and yet here I am replying on the retina mini lol. Guess I underestimated Apple lol.

Sent from my iPad using iMore Forums

Jamalaya

Oct 13, 2013
Visit site
It took over my phone (to a certain degree) and my pc (99%, mini does not have GW2 :) ). That's how good it is. If I am out and about I use the phone, and anywhere else it is the Ipad mini.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williams77