How many voice minutes do you use?

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
I am currently evaluating my voice plan...

I currently have 5 lines on my family plan. That plan has 1400 minutes/month plus I get a 200 minute bonus from something some time ago - total of 1,600 mintes. And we don't use very many at all.

I'm with AT&T who offers a number of options like free nights & weekends, free mobile-to-mobile like all of the carriers. But AT&T also offers the following:

• Rollover minutes - bank unused minutes from each month for up to 12 months for use at any time to cover overages.
  • Mobile to Any Mobile minutes - with a family texting plan, AT&T gives you unlimited calls from your mobile to ANY other mobile device on ANY other US carrier.
  • A List minutes - free calls to any pre-defined number that you specify, up to 10 phone numbers.

On average over the past 6 months, I've used 316 paid minutes per month out of 1,600 possible minutes. My rollover balance is up to over 9,400 minutes.

My problem is this, if I cut back on plan minutes, the other freebie items start disappearing... for example, the 1,400 minute plan is the lowest that includes the A List minutes (which has averaged over 800 minutes each month) ... and if you change your plan to less minutes, AT&T makes you forfeit all rollover minutes above the monthly allotment for the new plan (i.e., if I change to a plan with 700 minutes/month, my rollover balance drops to 700 minutes)... so you can't build up a bank and then drop down and use 'em up.

So I'm curious... how many minutes do you use each month?

BLiNK

Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
AT&T - 5 Lines

actually when i went from 1400 minutes to 700 minutes they let me keep 5000 out of my 11000? rollover. now there was a tremendous amount of ass kissing and ego stroking that occurred but they made it happen haha

i have 5 lines as well and we get close to the 700 minutes but the rollover always saves me. also, i know for a fact the free mobile to any mobile has saved me a lot of headaches too

GingerSnapsBack

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site
I have 450 anytime minutes plus unlimited any mobile to any mobile calling and unlimited texting thrown in for free with that plan. I got a Verizon employee plan because the girl that sold me my first Verizon phone was my sister's best friend. :) With the unilimited AM2AM calling, I use about a thousand minutes a month because everyone I know has a cell phone. Out of my 450 minutes, I use maybe 10.

Eileen89

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
So I'm curious... how many minutes do you use each month?

I'm on a old voice plan of 200 ATM and 1000 N&W minutes for $30/month. My total usage per month on average is 90 minutes. This is absolutely the best plan for my calling needs. :)

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk.

BLiNK

Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
I'm on a old voice plan of 200 ATM and 1000 N&W minutes for $30/month. My total usage per month on average is 90 minutes. This is absolutely the best plan for my calling needs. :)

shocked that you are not on a family plan. you do have others with phones in your family, do you not?

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
My billing cycle ends on July 2nd and I've only used 87 minutes out of 1400 shared with my teen son. most of the numbers I frequently call or are called from our free. Wow! I suppose I need to revisit the available plans, huh?

Just Me, D
(iPhone 4S)

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
My billing cycle ends on July 2nd and I've only used 87 minutes out of 1400 shared with my teen son. most of the numbers I frequently call or are called from our free. Wow! I suppose I need to revisit the available plans, huh?

Just Me, D
(iPhone 4S)

Perhaps you should... but in my case, I'm stuck between the proverbial rock and hard place... If I drop my minutes down,I lose the features that cause me NOT to use my plan minutes... Hopefully your situation is different.

pkcable

Q&A Team Leader, VR Expert
Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
I don't use my minutes either, BUT it's the M2M and the F&F that save me every month, and if I change I probably lose them also.

Last edited:
Reactions: Just_Me_D

Eileen89

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
shocked that you are not on a family plan. you do have others with phones in your family, do you not?

My daughter pretty much texts only on her iPhone so see is on a PP plan, hubby hardly talks on his cell and doesn't really want a cell phone so he is also on PP. My son will be getting his first cell phone for his birthday in few months so I will start him off on a PP account where I can monitor his usage. I've done the math already and find that this is a cheaper option for our needs than a family plan would be, especially with one kid having an iPhone with another getting one soon.

Sent from my iPad LTE using Tapatalk HD.

Sophos

Mar 4, 2011
Visit site

Just Me, D
(iPhone 4S)

This. I have unlimited minutes and I only use about 100 or so per month. Could use more data though....

Cheers

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
This. I have unlimited minutes and I only use about 100 or so per month. Could use more data though....

Cheers

Oh, I definitely get my money's worth via data..(laughing)...especially now without home Internet until my new home is completed.

Just Me, D
(iPhone 4S)

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Perhaps you should... but in my case, I'm stuck between the proverbial rock and hard place... If I drop my minutes down,I lose the features that cause me NOT to use my plan minutes... Hopefully your situation is different.

I see your point, my friend. ;)

Just Me, D
(iPhone 4S)

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2