I need a new laptop for school and it seems like everytime I buy a laptop from future shop I am buying a new one due to hardware issues, over heating, etc. I want to buy a MacBook but do not know if it is worth the money especially since I am a big fan of Microsoft! I was thinking of purchasing a 13' MacBook Air - thanks for all your input
    10-29-2014 03:23 AM
    Hi and welcome to iMore, for me, yes. It's light and portable and haven't had any issues with it.
    Its a matter of what your comfortable with and what fits your needs the most.
    nurse12 likes this.
    10-29-2014 03:44 AM
    Totally worth it! Super portable and awesome battery life. Love my MBA 13"

Get as much storage as possible when you purchase it.
    nurse12, shief24 and taz323 like this.
    10-29-2014 05:25 AM
    10-29-2014 06:43 AM
    Sure, if you are not really going to be playing real intensive games you should be fine
    nurse12 likes this.
    10-29-2014 07:51 AM
    Thank you everyone! Does anyone have any suggestions on storage? I use my computer for essays. Social media, Netflix and music. Since I will be purchasing Apple care I do not want to purchase extra storage if I do not need it. I will be visiting the Apple Store today but do not want them to try selling me something I don't need because I will most likely fall for it, thanks again!
    10-29-2014 09:04 AM
    As a big fan of ms you'd probably want to look at surface pro. The mba has a horrible screen.
    nurse12 likes this.
    10-29-2014 09:19 AM
    Thank you everyone! Does anyone have any suggestions on storage? I use my computer for essays. Social media, Netflix and music. Since I will be purchasing Apple care I do not want to purchase extra storage if I do not need it. I will be visiting the Apple Store today but do not want them to try selling me something I don't need because I will most likely fall for it, thanks again!
    If that's all you use it for, 128GB storage is probably enough depending on how big your music library is. Also the base model with 4GB RAM is also enough for those uses.
    nurse12 likes this.
    10-29-2014 09:51 AM
    ahhh I had my mind set on buying a MBA today but now that I have googled the surface pro I do not know what to get. Definitely will look into this tablet/laptop - thank you!!
    10-29-2014 09:57 AM
    IMO, the Mac brand and specifically MacBook Airs are very much worth their price.

With regards to the amount of storage, based on your current needs, Id say that the 128GB SSD would be plenty. Also, if you purchase the 13" MBA, they have SD card slot (the 11" MBA does not). I have a couple of PNY StorEdge SD cards - they are half height SD cards, that fit into the slot and do not stick out. The cost is relatively low (about $40 for a 64GB card). While they dont increase the internal storage of your MBA, the do provide additional storage in the form of what appears to OS X as a second drive. I have some photos, documents and movies stored on mine.

And welcome to iMore!
    wildmangk and nurse12 like this.
    10-29-2014 11:06 AM
    I picked up the base model 13' MBA a couple months ago to replace my iPad that I gave my daughter for school, I find that I rarely use my Win7 laptop anymore except for video and photo work. It's much easier carrying my MBA around in my backpack with my work laptop in case I need to do something personal at work. It's also saved me a lot when I wasn't home but had it with me and had to login to my servers to fix something where before I would end up driving home because I didn't feel like lugging around my laptop around. I use it for email, music, web. Actually just pulled it out for the first time in 2 weeks this morning and it still had 80% battery life. It's well worth the money IMHO.
    nurse12 likes this.
    10-29-2014 02:01 PM
    ahhh I had my mind set on buying a MBA today but now that I have googled the surface pro I do not know what to get. Definitely will look into this tablet/laptop - thank you!!
    Coming from a surface, For basic computing needs the Macbook Air is the way to go. The Surface is cool, and has some useful features but for just basic functions of the computer (which it sounds like are your needs) I found the Surface to be infuriating to use.
    nurse12 likes this.
    10-29-2014 04:10 PM
    Do you own an iPhone?

If so, there are some neat new features letting iPhones and Macs work together (Handoff, Continuity).
    nurse12 likes this.
    10-29-2014 05:07 PM
    Yes, MacBooks are definitely worth the money. The build quality is great. My MacBook Pro, despite its age, runs the newest OS X Yosemite without much issue. I did upgrade the RAM from 2gb to 8gb back when Mavericks was announced, just in case. Since I was coming from a long history of Windows desktops and laptops, I originally had the HDD partitioned and set up with Boot Camp so I could still boot Windows and run Office Professional... so if you really love Windows, you have options. Me, personally, in the past few years, I've booted up Windows so infrequently, that I forgot I had it. When I was reminded (by a post on this forum) I decided to restore my HDD and delete all my Windows files. I don't miss Windows at all.
    nurse12 likes this.
    10-29-2014 07:38 PM
    Thank you to everyone that replied to this thread. I purchased a 13' MBA today and LOVEE it, it'll take some getting use to but I installed Microsoft office so I can still type all my essays on that format so I got the best of both worlds and it's so light! So happy with my purchase
    LVMHgirl, shief24, calebt and 4 others like this.
    10-30-2014 03:41 AM
    Congrats and enjoy.
    10-30-2014 03:53 AM
    Thank you to everyone that replied to this thread. I purchased a 13' MBA today and LOVEE it, it'll take some getting use to but I installed Microsoft office so I can still type all my essays on that format so I got the best of both worlds and it's so light! So happy with my purchase
    I think you will get used to it faster than you think. And you will never look back!
    10-30-2014 08:24 AM
    Congrats! You'll get used to it in no time. It's very intuitive. I switched 5 yrs ago and have never looked back. The only time I use a Windows device is at work bc I have to.
    calebt likes this.
    10-30-2014 10:45 AM
    I need a new laptop for school and it seems like everytime I buy a laptop from future shop I am buying a new one due to hardware issues, over heating, etc. I want to buy a MacBook but do not know if it is worth the money especially since I am a big fan of Microsoft! I was thinking of purchasing a 13' MacBook Air - thanks for all your input
    Whether it is "worth the money" will depend on you and how well it helps you in your day to day computing needs. For *me*, the MacBook was worth it, but not initially because the Windows OS was too ingrained in me. Yet, once I gave it a little time, I came to enjoy the MacBook and now, I can't see myself returning to a Windows machine. If you are indeed a fan of Microsoft (and there's nothing wrong with that), you may be best served to get a new Windows laptop. There will not be little to no learning curve for you and you'll instantly be comfortable with it. Furthermore, don't let your sole reason for getting a MacBook be based because your peers are getting one or have gotten one. Think for yourself....
    10-30-2014 11:00 AM
    Congrats! You'll get used to it in no time. It's very intuitive. I switched 5 yrs ago and have never looked back. The only time I use a Windows device is at work bc I have to.
    Same. I have 2 computers on my desk at work. Older Mac Pro running Yosemite (like a champ) and some HP windows 7 catastrophe. Luckily I only use the windows machine about 10% of my day.
    10-30-2014 11:23 AM
    I love my MacBook. Never had any issues with my non retina MacBook. I think they are worth the money.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    10-30-2014 01:08 PM
    I just got a MB Air 11. I'm very happy with it. I have it hooked up to a 2TB drive with my 148 gig iTunes library of music and movies streaming to a Apple TV.
    The joint is nice. The screen is butter. Dont need Retina. I don't do major photo or video editing.
    10-30-2014 01:33 PM
    I guess you already got your answers but yes it is worth it. For the reliability and customer service alone from apple it is worth every penny. Ive had a 2012 macbook pro for school then upgrade to the retina this summer. I will never go back to Windows and it's just a huge relief that if your computer crashes you can walk in and get it serviced relatively quickly. For anyone contemplating it, if you have the money go for it you won't regret it.
    10-30-2014 05:19 PM
    In my experience(owning and family owning many windows laptops, mp3 players not iPods, non-Apple routers and storage devices), I find any Apple product very much worth it. My 2012 laptop still works beautifully. My airport is still going after years, my iPod classic from 200-something is still working for freak sake. Upgrading because you want to rather than need to is a big tell about the quality of Apple products. I don't agree with a lot of decisions that Apple has made with the non-expandable internals of MacBooks but it doesn't sound like you need to worry about it. So in my opinion and experience, yes!
    10-30-2014 05:47 PM
    I've tried both platforms/ecosystems extenesivley to include a MacBook Pro, iPad mini and a iPhone 6 on the Apple side and a Surface RT, Surface Pro 3 and a Lumia 925 on the MS side, both are good ways to go. I ultimately chose to stick with Apple since I invested the most in my MacBook pro and extensive iTunes library which never meshed well with the MS mobile products. The Surface Pro 3s are excellent devices, extremely functional while traveling and portability. I would however wait a few months, I'm under the impression that MS will release a mid cycle upgrade to the SP3 line much like they did with the SP2. Either way you go enjoy your new toy.
    10-30-2014 11:31 PM
26 12