MacBook Pro 13" 8GB 2.3GHZ runs slow on Premiere Pro

AronJR

Dec 18, 2017
Visit site
Hi everyone,

Yesterday I bought a MacBook Pro 2017 model with the most basic specifications. Today I edited a small clip in Premiere Pro (just Full HD from an iPhone) and I noticed that this brand new laptop had it very difficult. Huge lags and the fans we're working hard cooling the machine.

I also tried to edit the video in Final Cut Pro X, with no problems at all. However, I bought this new computer for using Premiere Pro more. Did someone had these problems too? Fortunately I can return this laptop for another one, but what do I have to upgrade to run Premiere Pro without any problems? Is it CPU or RAM? Or do you advice me to get an iMac (although I really prefer to stay with a laptop).

Thank you for your help,

JR

Trees

Dec 26, 2012
Visit site
Looks like "16GB RAM or more is recommended" for macOS based systems.
https://helpx.adobe.com/premiere-pro/system-requirements.html

For the laptop form factor, the 15" model has quad-core CPU options. If Premier Pro is a multi-threaded application, then it will probably benefit from and take advantage of the additional cores.
https://www.apple.com/macbook-pro-13/specs/#mn_p

In theory more RAM will enable Premier Pro to keep more of its processes in RAM where it can be accessed more quickly by CPU, and in turn more CPU cores mean that more work can be done in a given time frame. These two factors - more RAM and CPU cores - may help reduce the strain currently being put on a minimally spec'd system.

If budget allows, then the iMac may be a better option per ability to support more RAM and multi-core CPU options. Since I don't use Premiere Pro, defer to others (could also ask people at Mac Store for their recommendation) who may have more experience with optimal hardware configurations, but if you can meet the minimum recommended RAM requirements and increase the CPU cores, then the 15" laptop may work.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2