What are some tips & tricks to using my new MacBook as well as recommended apps?

Sean Fanelli

Jul 21, 2014
Visit site
Just picked up my brand new MacBook Pro (late 2016 256gb with touch bar). I used to be that guy who called Macs overpriced pieces of crap that people would buy for the apple logo, about 4 years ago I used a MacBook Air for a while and was not a fan. Come yesterday I'm shopping for a new laptop and the touch. bar caught my eye as finally something different and innovative; and compared to many of the windows laptops with similar build and graphic capabilities, the base 13 was right on par, so here I am a former Mac hater that just went all out on a MacBook Pro an am absolutely loving it so far. Now for the noobie questions, to start what are some of the best apps I should be downloading and are there any secret tips/settings that will be beneficial? And my big one is: I use Vegas movie studio for my video editing and really don't want to spend $200 on final cut pro x, what is the best way to get that on my Mac without bootcamp? I was trying VM Ware fusion and I was having problems as windows wasn't picking up on the graphics or something, maybe I just missed a step if someone could help unless there is a better way?

P.S: this keyboard is amazing, I've thoroughly enjoyed typing this post

Abu Khadija

Oct 19, 2016
Visit site
Re: Here I am...suggestions/advice?

With final cut being $300 you can the student discount with a .edu email for $200. It's a Mac bundle deal. You should check it out. On the Mac I can't tell you because I have a late 2013 15" rMBP with win 10 bootcamped.

Sean Fanelli

Jul 21, 2014
Visit site

With final cut being $300 you can the student discount with a .edu email for $200. It's a Mac bundle deal. You should check it out. On the Mac I can't tell you because I have a late 2013 15" rMBP with win 10 bootcamped.

I like the looks of final cut, but I'm still getting over the cost of the laptop, my main goal right now is trying to get the good software I already have working

anon(9602380)

Aug 14, 2015
Visit site

Welcome to iMore.

First the apps. 1Password. It is a password manager app and is the very best one out there. Parallels. It is a virtual app used for running Windows on your Mac.

Second. Parallels. VM Ware Fusion is the competition to Parallels. I have always used parallels to run Windows and Windows related programs. It will run flawlessly. You can try it free for 30 days. I suggest trying it with your video editing app.

Thanks!

Sean Fanelli

Jul 21, 2014
Visit site

Welcome to iMore.

First the apps. 1Password. It is a password manager app and is the very best one out there. Parallels. It is a virtual app used for running Windows on your Mac.

Second. Parallels. VM Ware Fusion is the competition to Parallels. I have always used parallels to run Windows and Windows related programs. It will run flawlessly. You can try it free for 30 days. I suggest trying it with your video editing app.

Thanks!

are you able to use a unity type feature with parallels?

anon(9602380)

Aug 14, 2015
Visit site

Thanks!, I've located the button for coherence, but for the program I want that button if faded, does it not work with all windows apps?

It should but as i have never run the app you are using I can't honestly say for sure. I've never had that issue with the apps I'm using.

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2