Why would they get rid of Mag-Safe?

ColoCham

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
I also regret the mossion of MagSafe, but I think I'll get used to it quickly enough, after my new MBP arrives. Still debating though whether to get a third-party MagSafe-ish replacement cable. When I work at home, there's really no risk. But at other locations, there's a bigger risk of someone accidentally pulling on the cable.

Baltiervaan

Feb 5, 2016
Visit site
i like having all ports in uniform. but the macbook is better with magsafe, it's the feature that other laptops don't have. and for me it is one of the selling point for macbook. i'm just not convince macbook without magsafe for now.

psamo

Nov 10, 2016
Visit site
I think apple want make macbook as simples as possible.Charging,connecting a head phone ,it's all possible with the USB type C.

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
I think apple want make macbook as simples as possible.Charging,connecting a head phone ,it's all possible with the USB type C.

The new MacBooks Pros still have headphone jacks. I think it was more about space and money than simplicity.

TimHart

Oct 21, 2012
Visit site
I just don't understand this. Such a great feature and it baffles me that they did this just for another USB port, that won't be used for anything other than charging the machine most of the time. A really stupid decision in my opinion.

The Magsafe connection was specifically so that people would not trip over the cord and pull the whole computer off the table. This was necessary when people had to take their cord with them wherever they took their Macbook because the computer would only last 2-3 hours on a charge. Now, Macbooks easily last the entire day on a single charge. People can go and work a full day without taking their charging cable with them (much like an iPhone.) Because charge cables are left at home, it's no longer necessary to support Magsafe. (Though it was an INCREDIBLY great feature in its time.)

Baltiervaan

Feb 5, 2016
Visit site
I just don't understand this. Such a great feature and it baffles me that they did this just for another USB port, that won't be used for anything other than charging the machine most of the time. A really stupid decision in my opinion.

i agree. magsafe was a great feature. a magsafe for the new macbook wont hurt the device's beauty if they just want uniform ports. other than that, macbook pro is a real beauty. i want it.

RBNetEngr

Sep 5, 2016
Visit site
I agree with TimHart, that with battery life nearly lasting a day, it's less necessary to charge the MacBook during the day.

Another thing to consider is that the MagSafe, while a really cool feature, basically dedicated that space on the laptop to only perform one function - charge the battery. Now, with USB-C, ANY port on the computer can be used to charge it (which is cool because sometimes the power outlet is to your left, and sometimes to your right), and when you don't need a charger, you have an available USB-C port to connect another device.

And, as someone mentioned in a previous post, Griffin makes a BreakSafe USB-C adapter:
Https://griffin technology.com/us/breaksafe-magnetic-usb-c-power-cable

OZsMac

Mar 22, 2014
Visit site
On balance I'm happy with the choice to move away from it, for one I have one less fidgety thing to do when I'm on conference calls......the clicking of the magsafe in and out and in and out........but I will miss the simplicity and also the charge indicator.

On the positive, and I think these items far outweigh the loss we are all feeling:

- For minimal cash, I got a small port replicator today, one that is just the standard apple HDMI dongle (Au$75), connects with 1 cable (perfect)
- Cross compatible with all other laptop chargers, meaning if you get stuck you'll likely be fine (in a few months when usb-c is everywhere)
- You are not forced into Apple chargers for your laptop, for either plug packs or battery packs, this is a big deal for many folks
- I already love the ability to plug power into either side (or any port type via dongle), doesn't sound un-important, unless you move around with your laptop then it is gold (especially on long flights)
- I often found that magsafe 2 would come away from my MacBook Pro too easily, no chance of that with USB-C

As to the complaints about dongle hell, the transition to USB-C is moving at such a pace that it won't be long until we don't need any dongles. I'm looking forward to USB-C as a standard power & projector connector in boardrooms throughout the world, that will be fantastic.......no hunting around for dongles/converters/power supply etc.....just plug in and get going with your presentation. My Samsung T3 SSD is already USB 3. Would have been great if the iPad Pro was also USB3, but I have a thunderbolt to lighting cable (so don't need a dongle).

niharikasarma

Nov 23, 2016
Visit site
I remember I was at an older cousin's house as a kid, and tripped over her new MacBook's charging wire. The only reason nobody cried that day was because of Magsafe. I'm definitely going to buy a Magsafe adaptor.

TimHart

Oct 21, 2012
Visit site
Call me crazy, but I think I will miss the charge indicator more than I will miss magsafe. I love the fact that the power connector had that little light that let you know everything was connected and charging. The subtle color change when fully charged was a great indicator as well. I'll miss that more than the magnetic connection.

sting7k

Dec 15, 2008
Visit site

I'm going to go against everything here and say the MagSafe is the one part of my Macbook Pro that I hate. It never stays connected. If I move even a little with it on my lap the cable disconnects. It's such a PITA! On top of that my cats are obsessed with the LED light so even if I just let it sit to charge within 10 minutes I will see it disconnected because one of my cats decided to swat it out. I have honestly never seen a laptop ripped down from a lap or desk because someone tripped over a cord.

If I had the money I would upgrade my Macbook Pro just so I could get rid of the MagSafe connector.

mouseless

Dec 18, 2012
Visit site
I've never had a mag safe save me, but my MacBook is so light and the C connectors so solid, a slip yanked my Mac Book off a bed recently - nearly destroying my AV adaptor. I'm sold… bring back mag safe, please Apple.

FullSizeRender.jpg

If Apple spent as much effort making USB-C mag safe as they've spent defending recent decisions…

Now, where's the thread about SD card slot?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2