new to MacBook Pro

Aug 21, 2013
Visit site
After years of wanting to switch, I was finally able to switch (from an HP Elitebook) and make all my hardware Apple. Couldn't be happier.

Wondering a couple things/looking for some input;
-Best way to make the battery last longer? What would you recommend for optimum settings to accomplish this?? I don't want to end up "over charging" it and killing the battery. Closest Apple store is 3 hours away, so if I had to ever go that route it will be a supreme hassle for me.

-Vital programs/freeware I should have in my dock? Vital apps??

I haven't used a Mac as my primary computer since an Apple 2 back in the day, so there's a learning curve for me here. Any input/advice you can throw me is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Eileen89

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
Just wanted to say congrats on your purchase. I also just purchased my first MBP as well and I am waiting for it to ship. Great questions here. I know someone will be able to help you with them.

Sent from my iPhone 5S using Tapatalk Pro.

Aug 21, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for the starting point....

Other than personal, general internet useage I'll chiefly be using it to help my son's godfather (he's an Attorney) with some billing, etc for his practice. He is in the process of setting up his office space (also an all Mac set up; ipad, iphone, mac minis) so having the ability to easily share documents, keep track of his billing/billable hours, schedule, appointments, and have it all be easily shareable between the two of us as needed (I'll be helping him from home, his practice is about 2 hours away so it's not like we'll be working in the same room with each other) would be key.

Other than something like Evernote, Google stuff (docs/drive/calendar/etc) and maybe Dropbox I'm still trying to sort out the best way to help him get off the ground and do it as smoothly as possible.

Aug 21, 2013
Visit site
He may want to look into setting up one if those Mac minis in the office with OSX server. It's a $20 download that adds capabilities to OSX. There are many but two I can see being very useful are a file server for the two of you to easily share files and VPN to securely do so. I've never set it up myself but I'm sure someone here has the knowledge to help if you run into trouble.
As for small business billing software, I have no idea but when I changed from Windows to a MBP I switched from Quicken to iBank for my personal finances.
Safari is pretty good for most internet browsing but I'd also have Chrome and/or Firefox on hand just in case.
Evernote as you mentioned above.
Pixelmator and Acorn are two not quite Photoshop photo editing software if you like to so that.

I had wondered about OSX Server, I saw that mentioned somewhere or another when I've been doing my research on this as his 'tech guy', I"ll dig deeper into that. Sounds like something that would be really handy for sure.

I've wondered about Harvest (getharvest.com) too...but I still need to research it some more...

BBGary

Jun 10, 2013
Visit site
Hello guys
I have too made the switch to MBP and the first question for me would be how to prolong the battery life as the OP already asked.

Sent from my iPhone 5s using iMore Forums mobile app

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Congrats on getting your new MacBook Pro, and I agree with Karen in regard to the battery. Still, I like to run my battery down to about 5% before recharging it. My MacBook is nearly 5 years old, but the battery is still lasting well even while running OS X Mavericks.

BBGary

Jun 10, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for the info. My question is: when i just open the MBP for the very first time, shouldn't i drain the battery and then to recharge

jsntrenkler

Trusted Member
Mar 9, 2010
Visit site
I am on my 5th Macbook Pro (2013 Retina 13inch) ... I have had excellent results with the batteries in these machines since 2010, the older machines with the removable batteries didn't last as long IMO however these new machines will easily get you a couple years of great battery life. I always run my screen at 50% when on battery and make sure that I turn off the radios that I am not using i.e. bluetooth or wifi if I am just relaxing and don't have a internet connection. Congratulations on your new baby!

Denisej

Oct 25, 2013
Visit site
I just switched over everything to IOS. I purchased IPad Air, iPhone 5s, and a new Macbook pro w/ retina. I can't believe the difference. I am Sooooo happy that I made the decision. This thing is lightning fast compared to my 8 month old i5 windows laptop. So much smoother and easier to use. I will be watching this thread and searching for information on this site as it's been at least 10 years since I used a Mac. I have to learn how to customize the dock and everything all over again. I have been reading about ALL of the new Apple devices including the Mac Pro w/ retina for the past week and finally decided to purchase the laptop yesterday. Lots of great information and very knowledgeable people on here that are eager to help....:)

BBGary

Jun 10, 2013
Visit site
I just switched over everything to IOS. I purchased IPad Air, iPhone 5s, and a new Macbook pro w/ retina. I can't believe the difference. I am Sooooo happy that I made the decision. This thing is lightning fast compared to my 8 month old i5 windows laptop. So much smoother and easier to use. I will be watching this thread and searching for information on this site as it's been at least 10 years since I used a Mac. I have to learn how to customize the dock and everything all over again. I have been reading about ALL of the new Apple devices including the Mac Pro w/ retina for the past week and finally decided to purchase the laptop yesterday. Lots of great information and very knowledgeable people on here that are eager to help....:)

Welcome to the club of happy campers... i still use my PlayBook as a tablet, but more and more as a paperweight. Was looking to buy a cheap windows laptop and ended up with 13' MBP just a week ago.

Denisej

Oct 25, 2013
Visit site
Welcome to the club of happy campers... i still use my PlayBook as a tablet, but more and more as a paperweight. Was looking to buy a cheap windows laptop and ended up with 13' MBP just a week ago.
Thanks BBGary. I still have my windows 8 laptop. I will be passing it down to someone else in the family...lol

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2