iMore MacBook Pro setups

Ipheuria

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
OK so lets see some of the firepower the users of iMore are rocking. Throw up a picture, a spec sheet and your upgrades lets see these bad boys.

Mine is a Mid 2010 unibody 15". I've upgraded the hard drive to a 256GB SSD, topped off the RAM at 8GB and it is in tip top shape. I'm hoping to upgrade to a Retina MBP later this year and retire this bad boy from active duty. It is my daily I use it every day of the week and it never fails me.

Attachments

• IMG_1420.JPG
    IMG_1420.JPG
    329.1 KB · Views: 30
  • Specs.jpg
    Specs.jpg
    104.3 KB · Views: 86

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
I'm actually in the process of selling my retina display model and moving back to an i7 2012 model...so when i get that squared away this weekend and get my SSD and RAM installed sometime next week, I'll be able to post my gear.

Since you posted it iPheuria...how durable are those vinyl stickers on the outside? I've always wanted to order one for my MBP but was always afraid they'd end up just flaking off eventually and looking like crap.

Ipheuria

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
I'm actually in the process of selling my retina display model and moving back to an i7 2012 model...so when i get that squared away this weekend and get my SSD and RAM installed sometime next week, I'll be able to post my gear.

Since you posted it iPheuria...how durable are those vinyl stickers on the outside? I've always wanted to order one for my MBP but was always afraid they'd end up just flaking off eventually and looking like crap.
They are great I've had this one on about a year now and my 17" Core 2 Duo I had the same on there for about two years. The aluminum is a great surface for the vinyl stickers as long as they have a good adhessive back and the part I love is when you peel them off there are zero marks.

Ipheuria

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
Bet I am using the oldest here.

Oh man that is the same specs as the one I had before I bought this one and god I love the 17". Why Apple stopped making them I will never know but I suppose the portability revolution probably lessened how much they sell.

bamf-hacker

Apple Watch and AirPod Champion, Ambassador
Champion
Nov 2, 2009
Visit site
Just got my new (old) MBP. It is a late 2009 2.66ghz core2 duo w/8gb of ram and a 256gb SSD. Only thing I need to do to get in perfect shape, is replace the battery. I get the Service Battery notification. Unless someone has a recommendation for getting that to go away.

After that, my next upgrade is going to be removing the super drive and put in a second hard drive.

This replaces my current 2007 MBA and I could not be happier. Even though it is a Core2Duo it is sooooooo much faster than any of my i7 Windows laptops :)

John Yester

Moderator Team Leader
Ambassador
May 23, 2012
Visit site
Mine came up about 2 months ago with service for battery. Then it started swelling. Got new battery now. So problem solved

Ipheuria

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
Mine came up about 2 months ago with service for battery. Then it started swelling. Got new battery now. So problem solved

I've had this on two of my MBPs before I got my unibody. You'll know you have the issue when you're trackpad doesn't respond anymore. I got my battery replaced for free both times so that was good. :D

bsmithphoto13

Sep 11, 2012
Visit site

Just wondering why you are selling the retina and going back to a non retina? I'm trying to decide if I want to keep my 13" retina dual core or bring it back and get a 13" non retina quad core

Laelipoo

Aug 11, 2010
Visit site
Mine is also a mid 2010 13", with a bit of work done. She has maxed out ram, and I popped in a 320 GB HD for a bit of extra space. She also has a pretty awesome translucent pink case (the apple glows purple).

Screen%20Shot%202013-06-16%20at%209.48.55%20PM.png

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2013-06-16 at 9.48.55 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2013-06-16 at 9.48.55 PM.png
    75.6 KB · Views: 44

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
Just wondering why you are selling the retina and going back to a non retina? I'm trying to decide if I want to keep my 13" retina dual core or bring it back and get a 13" non retina quad core

I'm officially back in the non-retina camp.

I sold it for a few reasons, but first and foremost because I came from a heavily built early 2011 model that was running both SSD and a 1TB HDD along with 16GB of RAM, and while the retina display was absolutely amazing looking 99% of the time (i found the ghosting and burn in a bit annoying), having the performance options and the RAM limitations irritating and did not feel the new chassis was much different than my early 2011's was at all (though going back now to a 2012 model, it is a bit heavier, but not significantly at all).

And if something goes wrong on this MBP, to an extent, i can cheaply replace the parts and not stress it much...the retina models are built better, but if something goes wrong, from what i researched online, the computer didn't really have much wiggle room, most repairs were expensive not easily done by the consumer (if possible at all).

I'm 100% satisfied again, where as with the retina model I was about 90% satisfied but apprehensive at the same time.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williams77