13 or 15 Pro?

ThomasJL

Oct 26, 2011
Visit site
I'm ready to pull the trigger on a a MB-Pro refurb.

Originally I was leaning toward a 13" with the 2.9 i7, but since I have enough $$ for a 15", I'm wondering if I should go with that instead. I see that they only come with a 2.6 Ghz i7.

Has anyone A/B'ed them and noticed a perceptible difference with speed given the same (8GB) RAM?

Anyone have a 13" and regret not getting a 15"?

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
In *my* personal opinion, the 13-inch MacBook is the perfect size. It's still portable, lightweight, powerful, and the screen size is still large enough for old eyes. Still, if you haven't already, go to a nearby Apple store or Best Buy store and view them side by side before deciding. That is the best advice I can give you. By the way, I do not regret not getting the 15-inch version.

wolfedude88

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
I went with the 13" pro. I personally don't like the size of the 15" MacBook. I think 13" is the perfect size for a laptop.

It comes down to personal preference.

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
I went with the 13" pro. I personally don't like the size of the 15" MacBook. I think 13" is the perfect size for a laptop.

It comes down to personal preference.

Definitely a personal preference. I migrated from a 17" HP to a 15" MBP and thought (still do) that it’s the perfect size. I’ve used my son-in-law's 13" MBP and find it too small. It’s definitely a matter of personal preference as well as what you’re used to. My MBP is not too bad, weight wise, in a backpack. Not sure what the weigh difference is without looking it up, but can’t be more than a pound or two.

jclisenby

Feb 2, 2012
Visit site
I like the 15" best. It all comes down to personal use. If you're going to be using it at a desk with an external monitor most of the time, the 13" may be plenty. I use mine a fair balance between desk and on the go, so the 15" is my choice.

Alli

Apr 28, 2009
Visit site
If you're getting a laptop because you want to use it as a laptop, and take it with you wherever you go - get the 13". The 15" is just that much too large to lug, but it is great if you're going to leave it sitting on a desk, and plenty large. I love my 13 incher.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
I don't regret it at all...i had a 15" MBP years back, but have chosen the 13" variant every time since, i just prefer the smaller chassis personally. The only thing i wish they would improve is the audio on the 13", because the 15" and 17" both have far superior audio quality.

ThomasJL

Oct 26, 2011
Visit site
Well I'm one week into my first ever Mac (13" MBP). Yeah late to the party. Love it so far. Got iTunes music copied over, all my files, contacts, iCloud working.

So far no issues with the refurb. Seems just like new.

Now just gotta decide what Linux distro to blow away Windows with on my PC :)

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Well I'm one week into my first ever Mac (13" MBP). Yeah late to the party. Love it so far. Got iTunes music copied over, all my files, contacts, iCloud working.

Ubuntu was my distro of choice years back when I dabbled into everything under the sun.

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site

Sweet... better "late to the party" than a total no-show. :)

Our company recently switched is to RedHat Enterprise, and as far as Linux goes, it seems ok. Agree with D, though, Ubuntu is robust and pretty user friendly.

ThomasJL

Oct 26, 2011
Visit site
Oh yeah, I'm actually a Unix admin for career. I dunno why I'm just now switching to Mac at home. Laziness (and being a cheapskate possibly) I guess.

I'm using Mint for my desktop at work, it's really nice, but I'll prob. end up trying Fedora 18 w/KDE at home first, since config files and stuff are all same as RHEL.

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Years back, I downloaded, installed and experimented with every available Linux disto at the time, even the ones that looked almost identical to Windows, (I don't remember the names) and I always returned to Ubuntu. Still, it has been several years since I've played around with anything but OS X so I would have to re-learn how to use it if I were to ever decide to install it again.

ThomasJL

Oct 26, 2011
Visit site
Well my new MB has a friend, I picked up an iPad Mini over the weekend. Been having a blast with it so far. My tech refresh is now complete LOL. Unfortunately, I have to keep my Windows 7 laptop for work because their ghetto remote access setup doesn't work on the Mac.

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
Well my new MB has a friend, I picked up an iPad Mini over the weekend. Been having a blast with it so far. My tech refresh is now complete LOL. Unfortunately, I have to keep my Windows 7 laptop for work because their ghetto remote access setup doesn't work on the Mac.

Nah, your "tech refresh" is never complete. :) Congrats on the new toy tool.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
takectrl