2 day review

volsfan0911

Jun 6, 2008
Visit site
not exactly an eternity of playing with it but enough time to offer up a solid opinion. Reference is I have a still working 2011 MBA (first with a SSD). Also Dell XPS13". 9360 (later 2017, 8th ten core i7, 16GB RAM, 512 GB SSD, win10). Sneak verdict? I'm selling the Dell, trading in the 2011 MBA (still worth $130 even after 7+ years, natch) and probably trading this new MBA in for a Pro. BUT I'm really impressed with this new Air. Here's why. For general computing tasks, it is great. I don't mean "adequate" but screams through every mundane task I've thrown at it to date. For giggles, installed Citrix Receiver and logged into my secure virtual work portal. Loaded and runs faster than my DIY Win10 box downstairs with an older core i5 and 16GB of RAM. Why am I switching then? Because I realize now that I can get a Pro, use for serious photo editing jacked into a 4K monitor (or 2) and it's still basically the same size as a MBA. Price isn't that much more.

Anyway - back to this new MBA. Display? Good. Is it the ultimate like a Pro? No. But most won't be able to tell and it's great for daily use. If you're checking email at Starbucks and using iPhoto to edit? It's great. Keyboard. Most people seem to hate it. I LOVE it. Repeat - I like this better than the old chiclet keyboard. Hell, I like it better than the last Thinkpad I used. Go figure. Build quality? Pffft, easily the best of any laptop I've used. Way beyond last Air certainly, up there with current Pros. I was using at a bar while eating brunch yesterday. Ending up breaking a glass because I shut the lid and it caught the edge of the drink napkin. Tightly enough to pull that out from underneath the glass! LMAO, I mean, seriously? On the bright side, I was done with my Bloody Mary so no alcohol was abused during the field testing of this machine :p. OS? Screams, I love it. Ports? I'm OK with 2 for general use but for the love of Pete, put one on each side. Charging is an inconvenient PITA and they're too close together on the same side anyway. Gripes? You want us to pay for an extension power cord now? LMAO, uh no. I'm keeping my old one.

Everyone whines about "they raised the price" and "it's an underpowered Y series CPU". Please. It's perfect for what most people do with a laptop most of the time. And gives great battery life plus I haven't had the fan come on yet. And considering the improvements? I'm good with a +$200 increase.

imwjl

Apr 26, 2011
Visit site
There are also a lot of people daft to CPU cores when they suggest a MacBook Pro over the 12 inch or Air models. If someone needs or wants a virtual machine to have two cores they should be aware of what models have that.

bamf-hacker

Apple Watch and AirPod Champion, Ambassador
Champion
Nov 2, 2009
Visit site
The MBA is a GREAT laptop for those that don't need pro features. For example, if you are a video renderer then the additional power of the MBP is a good upgrade.

doogald

Trusted Member
Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
As for ports - I agree, if there is only two, one on each side would be great. It'd be especially nice for people who want to plug in an SD card reader to USB, since that is a port lost on the new MBA. However, I'd love to see a return to MagSafe charging across the line. Continue to allow USB-C charging on either port, but add MagSafe as well. It would free up a port to those that need it (I rarely do myself, but I know that lots of people do), and Apple was always right about the convenience and safety of MagSafe in the past. They should listen to what they said about how great it was 10 years ago, and 5 years ago, etc.

Bazza1

Mar 13, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the review. I took a look at the new Air at my local Apple Store today, and frankly, I went away going 'meh'. Yes the screen is lovely, but largely underwhelmed by the lack of ports / MagSafe, the keyboard and - oh yeah - the price.

I still think my decision earlier in the summer to 'upgrade' from my trusty 2011 11" 4/128 to a 2017 13" 8/256 was the right one. This I got from Apple's own Refurb Store - later trading in my 11" for a $250 gift card at Best Buy (could possibly got more selling it myself, but this resolved things cleanly).
As for the price - well, here in Canada, the new Air 8/256 is within a few dollars of both the MacBook and base MacBook Pro with less storage - which is insane (and is over $500 more than I paid for my Apple Refurb) - so I don't know that I'll be seeing it take the place anytime soon of all those older Airs that seem to be the de facto notebook to coffee shop work warriors. The MacBook certainly didn't before.

Will it find a market? Macolytes will like scoop it up - "Oooh, retina screen!" - but hey, this 'old' 2017 model does absolutely everything I ask of it, and isn't that really the point?

rdubmu

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
Thank you for sharing. I currently have an x1 yoga generation 3. It is pretty neat except the screen. I have been thinking picking up a MacBook air or Mac Book Pro. I am leaning towards the 15 inch MacBook pro. I don't think the MacBook air will have enough power for me. We will see :)

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williams77