Why is apple not covering my under warranty macbook air?

alanapaigee

Aug 6, 2017
Visit site
After my first macbook pro computer crashed upon living in Thailand for just one month, I was left no choice but to purchase a replacement. As a teacher it is my biggest resource and I have always had a good experience with my apple products. However, there has been no damage to this two month old computer yet, after opening my laptop I found there was severe screen distortion which has left me yet again, without a computer. It had been extremely difficult to get in touch with anyone to speak about this issue and after talking with an iserve center at the mall in which I purchased the computer, they have told me it is an internal crack which is not covered by warranty. This makes absolutely no sense to me. I have not dropped, or externally damage my macbook which would cause an internal crack. It seems backwards to me that an internal problem would not be covered whereas an external problem would? The cost of the repair is more than half of what I have paid for it, something I cannot afford. I am completely baffled that I am having this much trouble trying to have this problem fixed and am not sure what there is left to do. How can this issue not be covered under warranty?

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
Have you attempted to contact Apple Support regarding this issue? I’m not too sure I’d trust the word of a guy at a repair center at a mall, whose business thrives on repairing broken electronics and charging people for it. You shouldn’t have an issue contacting them as they’ve always been very easy to reach when I’ve needed support.

Last edited:

RobertP1

Trusted Member
Apr 14, 2016
Visit site
Contact Apple Support... They will take care of that no question. Do you have Apple Care? (Not that you need it now, since it is only 2 months old).

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
After my first macbook pro computer crashed upon living in Thailand for just one month, I was left no choice but to purchase a replacement. As a teacher it is my biggest resource and I have always had a good experience with my apple products. However, there has been no damage to this two month old computer yet, after opening my laptop I found there was severe screen distortion which has left me yet again, without a computer. It had been extremely difficult to get in touch with anyone to speak about this issue and after talking with an iserve center at the mall in which I purchased the computer, they have told me it is an internal crack which is not covered by warranty. This makes absolutely no sense to me. I have not dropped, or externally damage my macbook which would cause an internal crack. It seems backwards to me that an internal problem would not be covered whereas an external problem would? The cost of the repair is more than half of what I have paid for it, something I cannot afford. I am completely baffled that I am having this much trouble trying to have this problem fixed and am not sure what there is left to do. How can this issue not be covered under warranty?

What is Is the “iserve” center you mentioned, and is it an “authorized” retailer / service center for Apple?

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
What is Is the “iserve” center you mentioned, and is it an “authorized” retailer / service center for Apple?

They’re all authorized in Thailand. There are even full service Apple Stores that Apple doesn’t know about.

alanapaigee

Aug 6, 2017
Visit site
I bought it at an Apple retail store and the isereve that I brought it too is also an authorized service for apple. I am also taking it to another icare authorized as well.

Quis89

Ambassador
Feb 6, 2012
Visit site

Sounds like it wasn't purchased directly through Apple. Which makes things even tougher. If it was purchased through a third party it may not have the same warranty. Was it refurbished? Is there an Apple store anywhere near you? You could try contacting Apple Support but if there is indeed physical damage to the device, they aren't going to warranty it at no cost to you. You'll be responsible for the repair costs.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2