iPad Air II to MacBook Air

anon(153966)

Jul 13, 2008
Visit site
I've had various iPad's for as long as I can remember.
Lately, I've seriously been considering replacing my iPad with a MacBook Air (I have an iMac and iPhone already).

Over time, typing long things (posting on forums, mainly) via the iPad, is a little tiresome.
Has anyone made a similar switch?

pkcable

Q&A Team Leader, VR Expert
Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Well I could never give up my iPad, BUT I love my Mac Book which is very similar to a Mac Air. For serious computing you need a computer, and the iPad just won't do. I love that I can take my Mac Book everywhere. To the shore, to work, to the park, out on my porch, etc. I have an iMac too and I love hanging out in my home office and using it, but that 27 inch monster ain't go NO WHERE! (If you'll allow me that double negative for humor sake! lol)

Bazza1

Mar 13, 2011
Visit site
Between computers, I used an iPad - and while 3rd Party apps are increasingly making the iPad more capable, the functionality and connectivity benefits of a 'real' computer and OS cannot be ignored.
When I did get a computer, it was the 11" MacBook Air (128GB), which had a footprint only slightly larger than the iPad, but expanded my usability. The newest MacBook is even smaller, but its also significantly pricier - and I frankly don't get it. And I don't much care for the keyboard. But I digress...

As a 'real' computer, I was initially concerned about storage on only 128GB - but I have all the docs I ever use on it, over 40 movies, 1500 songs, 900 photos, a few games and additional apps - and still have 40GB of storage available. Stuff I don't use all that often (even more movies, plus a manual backup over and above Time Machine) I have moved to an external portable drive.

And I have no problem with it communicating with my iPhone and Apple TV, either.

iPads (well, any tablet) have their place - and the touch screen particularly useful - but the Air is functionally a better computer.

anon(153966)

Jul 13, 2008
Visit site
Something else someone said I should consider, is to merely purchase a Logitech keyboard for the iPad. A shame with the iPad Air II, there isn't a smart keyboard\cover type option...

Bazza1

Mar 13, 2011
Visit site
Something else someone said I should consider, is to merely purchase a Logitech keyboard for the iPad. A shame with the iPad Air II, there isn't a smart keyboard\cover type option...

Yes, Logitech (possibly among others) does produce a keyboard cover for the 2 - for the additional benefit of being 'smart' and from Apple, I don't think that should rate as being an issue. Logitech known company with a reputation of quality (Apple-friendly) hardware.

But again, despite Apple's recent ads suggesting their iPad Pro is just as good as a 'real' computer, iPads and iPhones were created to be nothing more than content delivery devices to iTunes and purchases therein. 3rd Party apps increased their functionality and forced Apple to make them (and their software) to be more capable, but they still don't have the full connectivity and functionality of a MacBook / MacBook Air.

Trending Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Erik4711