Buy 2013 MacBook Air or wait for the next generation?

Psyk00

Sep 13, 2013
Visit site
I need a slim, portable and long standing on battery device. And here we have the winner, MacBook Air. Should I buy the current model or wait for what's next? I don't need much processing power (99% of my usage is web browsing and writing stuff). Do new ones might get Retina displays?

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
If you find that the MacBook Air that you tested or looked at suits your needs perfectly, then I recommend you buy it now. People keep Mac computers for a long time, and for good reason. They are stable, well-built, easy to use and have outstanding support. I am still using a MacBook early 2009 model w/4GB RAM that I purchased brand new in early 2009. It is running OS X Mountain Lion without a problem. Furthermore, I have no intentions of upgrading to a newer model until this one craps out on me.

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
I need a slim, portable and long standing on battery device. And here we have the winner, MacBook Air. Should I buy the current model or wait for what's next? I don't need much processing power (99% of my usage is web browsing and writing stuff). Do new ones might get Retina displays?

The MBA line was just refreshed a couple of months ago. There won’t be any new MBA now, most likely, until late next summer, of history is any indication...

Psyk00

Sep 13, 2013
Visit site
Right, but I really like the Retina display in my 3rd gen iPad. Is it possible thah next MBA will have it? Specs of current model are more than enough for me for the enxt years, but I'd rather have a higher resolution screen.

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
Right, but I really like the Retina display in my 3rd gen iPad. Is it possible thah next MBA will have it? Specs of current model are more than enough for me for the enxt years, but I'd rather have a higher resolution screen.

We don’t know... Apple's not saying and with the feeding frenzy in the media over the iPhone 5C and 5S, the blogs are focused away from the MacBook news and rumors.

Peter Cohen

iMore staff
Apr 11, 2013
Visit site
"Should I buy or should I wait" is the eternal question when it comes to any tech product. Buy when you need the product, and accept from the start that sooner or later it'll be supplanted by something better. That way you won't be disappointed when it _is_ replaced.

AppleHeadCA

Dec 12, 2013
Visit site
This^^^^^^^^^^^

Or, sell it before the 1 year warranty runs out, add a couple hundred $ and buy the new model every year like I do with my iPhone.

Bazza1

Mar 13, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, there'll always be 'the next generation' of product - and if you wait for the next best tweak to a product, you'll never buy.

Meanwhile, I really don't see the value in Retina - it sucks power and, really, for what you want to do, its hardly needed. Apple's screens (that is, the ones that don't arrive with weird blue or green auras or peculiar lines running through them) are generally very clear and crisp - Retina, arguably, is simply another marketing ploy to be 'better' than the last model or anyone else.

And finally, save yourself some bucks (routinely 15% or more) and visit Apple's Refurb page in their Store - get an Apple-certified Air with all the features and warranties from there.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2