Hi,
    Does the Fusion Drive connect to the Logic Board with the same connection as a PCIE Flash Storage? (I don't fully understand SATA vs PCIE or PCIE Flash Storage vs SSD?)
    Anyway, ''I guess my question is'':
    Does it matter what type of storage I originally choose (Fusion or PCIE Flash Storage) when I buy a 2014 Mac Mini if my goal is to later on replace the Fusion Drive with a 1TB SSD/PCIE?
    (I'm not talking about dual drive here, I just want to later on replace the 1TB Fusion Drive with 1TB of non spinning storage)
    Thanks!
    10-23-2014 11:06 AM
    Did you ever find the answer to your question or are you still searching?
    10-25-2014 04:41 PM
    I believe the Fusion drive looks like a standard laptop hard drive and so should be replaceable by the same. The PCIe storage like in the MacBook Air is basically memory chips on a small daughter board attached to the motherboard. A "standard" SSD is the same size/shape as a laptop hard drive and uses SATA to communicate to the motherboard.
    DrBlip likes this.
    10-25-2014 04:55 PM
    From what I understand the motherboard has 1 SATA connection and 1 PCIe connection.The Fusion Drive utilize both of these connection, the HD on the SATA and the SSD on the PCIe.

I would be getting the 3.0GHz Dual-Core Intel Core i7 with 16GB of RAM and 1TB Fusion Drive.
    So in a year or two when the price of PCIe SSD storage is reasonable I would take out the Fusion drive and put a big PCIe SSD.
    Does this make sense?

Thanks!
    10-26-2014 08:36 PM
    Very interested in this and was excited to see someone already started a thread on this topic.
    If I got the base model (500gb) I could simply buy a PCIe SATA drive and it would automatically pick up and function as a fusion drive?
    Has anyone tried this? If so, a link to a product on newegg would be helpful.
    11-02-2014 09:15 PM