Can I update my iPad 2 (iOS 5) to the latest iOS version and keep my jailbreak?

hanexs

Apr 5, 2015
Visit site
Hi I've had an iPad 2 for my daughter for a few years, its on iOS 5... I find I can jot install new apps as many say I need to update my iOS. I looked for forum posts on this but found it hard to find a similar question.

Is it possible to update to a prior version? If so what version should I update too? Also is it possible to update and keep my downloaded jail broken appz?

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
IPad 2 on iOS 5 - how to update

I recommend you update to the latest version the device can take. You can do it easily from the iPad 2, as long as it is connected to the Internet via Wi-Fi. Simply go to Settings - General - Software Update. The method I posted will cause you to lose your jailbreak. Hopefully, someone who is knowledgeable in regard to jailbreaking will respond soon with a different option.

Highrisedrifter

Sep 19, 2012
Visit site
You can definitely update to iOS 8.2 on the iPad 2 as that is what I'm using on mine as I type this.

As far as I am aware, there is not currently an untethered jailbreak for 8.2 although I expect a Pangu one will be released soon as they currently have a tethered JB up and running.

natasftw

Sep 13, 2012
Visit site
Re: IPad 2 on iOS 5 - how to update

I recommend you update to the latest version the device can take. You can do it easily from the iPad 2, as long as it is connected to the Internet via Wi-Fi. Simply go to Settings - General - Software Update. The method I posted will cause you to lose your jailbreak. Hopefully, someone who is knowledgeable in regard to jailbreaking will respond soon with a different option.
D, you never want to give this advice in the jailbreak forum. OTA is a bad thing. If they update, it should be through iTunes and not OTA

hanexs

Apr 5, 2015
Visit site
Hi I am still a little confused.

I take it if I update my ipad through iTunes, I have to go to the absolute newest IOS right (8.2)? (Or does iTunes let me choose what version to update too?)

When I look online, sites tell me that there is not jailbreak for 8.2. But that there is a jailbreak for 8.1.2. Is there a way to get 8.1.2 or should I just wait untill the 8.2 jailbreak is released?

Gino

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zijinqingqing555