How to Restore Without Upgrading

DannyMichel

Jul 31, 2011
Visit site
I just cleared all the data on my jailbroken iOS 5.1 on my 4S, and the spinning wheel won't stop. Do I have to restore and lose my jailbreak? Is there a way to restore without updating to iOS 6? Using TinyUmbrella maybe

rdiddy_25

Sep 20, 2009
Visit site
Did you use the "erase setting" button? If so, you'll have to restore they iTunes. If u have ur shsh blobs saves then u can downgrade, otherwise ur stuck on 6.0.1 till a jb comes out.

3cit

Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
I just cleared all the data on my jailbroken iOS 5.1 on my 4S, and the spinning wheel won't stop. Do I have to restore and lose my jailbreak? Is there a way to restore without updating to iOS 6? Using TinyUmbrella maybe

my stomach aches for you.
i hope you didnt enjoy your jailbreak...
just for clarification were you on 5.1 or on 5.1.1?
if so how did you jailbreak a 4s on 5.1?

iDonev

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site

Check with TinyUmbrella for avaiable blobs.

DannyMichel

Jul 31, 2011
Visit site
At the time of my posting this thread, I hadn't upgraded to 6.0.1 yet. I actually ended up putting my phone into Recovery mode and restoring to 5.1.1. Later today, I followed a guide on a blog to jailbreak iOS 6.1 beta 2. I failed to check if this was a tethered jailbreak or not. Now I'm on iOS 6 with no way to get back to 5.1.1. I did have a jailbreak that I enjoyed very much, and my SHSH blobs remain on the Cydia server.

Unless I'm mistaken, and I CAN go back to 5.1.1, i'll just have to wait the year or more it takes for devs to JB 6.0.1 or 6.1 on A5 devices

Peligro911

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
Can't you just download one of the 5.1.1IPSW files and restore that way?

No apple basically signs off on each restore once they update the software they stop signing the previous version so you can not fully restore to the same software it will automatically go to the newest software

Sent from my iPhone 5 from a galaxy far far away (in the USA ) using Tapatalk !

Peligro911

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
From dev team..

A few months back we released a redsn0w feature that lets you downgrade A5+ devices from 5.1.1 to anything lower (if you had saved blobs). *Unfortunately once the 5.1.1 window closes, redsn0w?s 5.x downgrade feature will no longer work. *Most A5+ users will not be able to downgrade. *So if you?re an A5+ owner up at 6.0 when the 5.1.1 window closes, you?ll be stuck there without a jailbreak for now.

We?re happy to report there are some serious deficiences in the 5.x restore process that are permanently exploitable. They?ll never be fixable by Apple because they?re all self-contained in the 5.x IPSWs. *Here?s the breakdown:

A4 devices and 3GS will always be downgradable (and jailbreakable) with saved blobs due to limera1n. *The tethered iOS6 jailbreak for those devices (and untethered for old-bootrom 3GS) will be out when Cydia and other important pieces are all working properly.
iPad2 owners who have both 4.x blobs and 5.x blobs will always be able to downgrade to those versions, even once you come up to 6.0 and the 5.1.1 window closes (don?t do that yet though!). *You need both 4.x and 5.x blobs to qualify for the 5.x downgrade even though you only wish to downgrade to 5.x (you need only your 4.x blobs to downgrade to 4.x)
iPad3, i4S (and iPad2 owners who don?t satisfy #2) will always be able to RE-restore the current 5.x OS that?s already on their device. *So if you?re at 5.1.1 when the window closes (and you?ve saved your blobs), you?ll always be able to RE-restore to 5.1.1 again. *This makes the 5.1.1 jailbreak a lot less fragile ? you don?t have to worry about messing up your install with funky extensions or getting into a boot loop, because you can always RE-restore from 5.1.1 to 5.1.1 again (or from 5.0.1 to 5.0.1 again, etc). *But once you fall off the 5.x train by restoring to 6.x, you?ll be stuck there until the next jailbreak.
Please be aware that RE-restores and iPad2 downgraded devices will always end up with the latest baseband (not the one that came with that firmware). *So don?t go near any of this if your unlock depends on the baseband version.

All of these features will be released shortly in a new version of redsn0w. *In the meantime please be sure you have your 5.1.1 blobs and stay at 5.1.1. *Happy iOS6 day!

Sent from my iPhone 5 from a galaxy far far away (in the USA ) using Tapatalk !

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2