Do any of you Restore your Iphone BEFORE jailbreaking?

dvigue

Jun 22, 2009
Visit site
any of you do that? any benefit to it? just was curious if i should or not before i jailbreak when its released...

thanks!

1982ollie

Aug 25, 2011
Visit site
No you don't have to. Some people do, to have fresh software on there phone before running a jailbreak. But in your case it is not needed.

The main need to restore is if you are experincing problems.

BLiNK

Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
yes i do. i feel like getting a fresh start prevents potential issues. even for peace of mind alone is worth it, imo

Tanbam

Feb 11, 2012
Visit site
I've done it before on my wife's phone "because I can't loose anything" and had problems. Little annoyances, like not being able to see new pictures that have been taken, even though they are indeed on the phone, and similar issues. This was back in the 3.x days, though.

Now, I always start fresh.

Mossberg

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site
I always do a full restore to factory settings and then restore and update to the latest iOS through iTunes. Then I jailbreak.

This is a pain in the ass though, since I have so much music that needs to be down-converted to 128k bitrate to fit my 32gig iPhone 4. That part of the process takes FOREVER.

I may just update mine without restoring this time. I can always wipe it and start fresh if I experience problems.

BLiNK

Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
the good thing is i just restored as new over the weekend in anticipation of Absinthe 2.0

so i am ready!

xkon

Nov 15, 2011
Visit site
Having battery issues so I updated too.. Gonna run stock for a bit to compare, if still crap I'm ok.. knowing there's a jailbreak for my replacement.

BLiNK

Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
So you are defiantly jailbreaking then Blink.

yes, i always do.. until i feel like my device gets a little wonky with whatever tweak that is causing an issue at the time. then i get frustrated and go back to stock since stability is my first priority. then i often get bored with stock and i will jailbreak again haha, it really is a vicious circle for me

BLiNK

Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
Having battery issues so I updated too.. Gonna run stock for a bit to compare, if still crap I'm ok.. knowing there's a jailbreak for my replacement.

if you set up as new phone when you restored you should see a significant change in battery performance

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
yes, i always do.. until i feel like my device gets a little wonky with whatever tweak that is causing an issue at the time. then i get frustrated and go back to stock since stability is my first priority. then i often get bored with stock and i will jailbreak again haha, it really is a vicious circle for me

This is pretty much my position.

joe_fresh

Trusted Member
Oct 29, 2011
Visit site
Been running redsn0ws' tethered version for a couple of weeks haven't had any issues with it. but i will say i am waiting very patiently for absinthe 2.0 to drop

j7469

Jul 2, 2009
Visit site
I've jailbroken multiple phones on various versions of software and only restore if I'm updating to a newer software version to immediately do another jailbreak (4.3.3 to 5.0 for example). I've never had an issues, but it couldn't hurt.

redbeard

Mar 21, 2009
Visit site
if you set up as new phone when you restored you should see a significant change in battery performance

One thing I've always wondered, if you do that, what about all your settings and contacts? I usually restore from a backup so I don't lose anything important. Is there a way to set it up as new and still retain all the important stuff?

BLiNK

Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
One thing I've always wondered, if you do that, what about all your settings and contacts? I usually restore from a backup so I don't lose anything important. Is there a way to set it up as new and still retain all the important stuff?

personally i use google for all of my contacts/calendars but you can use iCloud as well. when using iCloud you cannot restore from backup when setting up the device but do it manually after you have set it up. you'll want to avoid the Documents & Data feature, i believe this is where all previous jailbreak info is stored

it can be a PIA especially if you have a lot of email accounts. make sure to get all of the pertinent info for those before restoring

obviously you can sync apps, music, photos, videos etc just fine

then once you are setup completely i would make sure to make a clean backup, before jailbreaking, so you can reuse that specific one in the future

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lakeland Ghost