Hallelujah the downgrade is here!

rosenstar

Apr 14, 2011
Visit site
Forgive my ignorance, but I'm having trouble understanding this...

I bought my iPad 2 recently, so it was running 5.1.0 when I first purchased it. Everyone's talking about saving SHSH blobs, but isn't that only something you can access if you're already jailbroken? Blobs are a little over my head, so if I am mistaken, could you please explain?

Anyways, in the event that I am able to downgrade, despite never being jailbroken or on 5.0.1, can I back up all my apps in itunes and restore them or will I have to restore them by other means?

EDIT: Reading a little more about SHSH blobs and how they pertain to software updates. If I have a jailbroken 4s on 5.0.1, can I use SHSH blobs from the 4s to put 5.0.1 on my iPad 2 (currently running 5.1)? Or does the ECID prevent this? Again, this stuff is a little over my head, so sorry if this is a stupid question.

Last edited:

Tanbam

Feb 11, 2012
Visit site
You can get your blobs without being jailbroken; all you need to do is run TinyUmbrella, connect your iOS device and click the "Save SSH" button.

You cannot downgrade to 5.0.1.

You can save the blobs for 5.1.1 using TinyUmbrella right now.

Since 5.1.1 appears to be jailbreakable with an untethered solution, I wouldn't worry too much about upgrading to that version and waiting until the jailbreak becomes public. There is no ETA, though.

rosenstar

Apr 14, 2011
Visit site
You can get your blobs without being jailbroken; all you need to do is run TinyUmbrella, connect your iOS device and click the "Save SSH" button.

You cannot downgrade to 5.0.1.

You can save the blobs for 5.1.1 using TinyUmbrella right now.

Since 5.1.1 appears to be jailbreakable with an untethered solution, I wouldn't worry too much about upgrading to that version and waiting until the jailbreak becomes public. There is no ETA, though.

Ok thanks... unfortunately I'm hearing it will be a few more weeks before the JB is released.

scott11

Sep 12, 2011
Visit site
not sure if this is a appropriate forum for this question- but- is there a way to JB a ipad 1 on 5.1, with nothing saved/backup

djg21

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site
I'm glad I was able to help. I hope it all works out for you. :)

Beamed from a galaxy far, far away using Tapatalk!

I'm back to stock. After installing an update to Remember the Milk and attempting to sync, I ended up back in an endless reboot cycle, unable to boot into safemode (or any other mode apart from DFU).

As I need to be accessible by phone and e-mail for work, I can't afford to have a phone that is unreliable. I guess I have to be happy with 5.1.1 until a new OS is available. Perhaps when the jailbreak for 5.1.1 is out, I'll try again. :(

djg21

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site
OK. I downgraded again an jailbroke again. I'm getting better at this. Only an hour or so this time around.

I'm not editing my plist and doing without iPhoto and pages for the time being. Hopefully I'll be good until I can jailbreak 5.0.1.

Laelipoo

Aug 11, 2010
Visit site
It should be out soon. I'm eager for the awesome battery on 5.1.1 so I can't wait either.

Beamed from a galaxy far, far away using Tapatalk!