Preparing for Selling iPhone 4

js0873xx

Oct 16, 2011
Visit site
I'm on 4.3.3 and want to sell my iPhone 4 as both jailbroken and unlocked. My idea was to erase all settings, then re-jailbreak through jalibreakme.com, and then unlock it. "Erase All Settings" doesn't work though. It never progresses so it appears you can't do that with a jailbroken phone. I'm just afraid that if I put the phone in DFU mode in iTunes and restore it though iTunes it'll attempt to upgrade my phone to ios5 in the process and then I can't jailbreak it again. Is that true? I'm just trying to check if restoring my phone in iTunes will keep me at 4.3.3 so that I can jailbreak it again.

jeffrey1027

Jun 7, 2011
Visit site
No it will upgrade you. Do this
Download 4.3.3 firmware
Run TSS server in TinyUmbrella
Click Shift (Option for mac users) + Restore in iTunes
Find and open the 4.3.3 file you downloaded in the new popup window
And there you go

js0873xx

Oct 16, 2011
Visit site
Thanks. I've never used TinyUmbrella before. What does it do? I'm curious what would happen if I disconnected my PC from the Internet while I attempt to do a restore. Wouldn't that shut off the ability to upgrade me then? That's just a curiosity question, but I'm planning on trying what you said to do.

Ipheuria

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
TinyUmbrella will only work if you have your SHSH blobs saved. If you disconnected your computer it wont work. Any firmware you install needs authorization from Apple which is what the shsh blobs are used to do. So if you unplug no authoriAtion means it wont happen. What is the state of your phone right now? what firmware is it on? Is it booting at all?

js0873xx

Oct 16, 2011
Visit site
I'm on 4.3.3 and (to date) have not saved my SHSH or installed TinyUmbrella. My phone is OK right now. If I try to do an "Erase All Settings" it just doesn't work. It goes into the screen that shows the Apple logo with a progress bar but it never progresses. I'm just assuming you can't erase after jailbreaking, which I did with jailbreakme.com. But once the erase doesn't work, I can reset the phone (by holding the power and home buttons until I see the Apple log) and the phone reboots just fine. So I'm not stuck anywhere. The phone is operative on 4.3.3. I simply want to remove everything on it, reinstall Cydia and unlock it so it'll be easier to sell on eBay. Hopefully that helps.

js0873xx

Oct 16, 2011
Visit site
Well, I tried doing a DFU restore through iTunes without using TinyUmbrella because I didn't understand it all that well and my phone was fine on 4.3.3, but I simply couldn't erase all the data before selling it. But when I did a restore and pointed to the downloaded 4.3.3 it attempted to update, got fairly far, but eventually gave me the following error ...

The iphone could not be restored. An unknown error occurred 1.

Is this due to not saving the SHSH? Should I try installing 4.3.4? Any other ideas? Right now I'm still in DFU mode.

Ipheuria

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
sorry for taking awhile, if your phone is still on 4.3.3 then go into Cydia and it should at the top show you the versions of the iOS that it has saved SHSH blobs. Also by going into Cydia it should save your iOS 4.3.3 blobs so then you can then use Tiny Umbrella to restore the phone back to 4.3.3. Just do a search on how to downgrade the iOS, it will be the same procedure.

js0873xx

Oct 16, 2011
Visit site
sorry for taking awhile, if your phone is still on 4.3.3 then go into Cydia and it should at the top show you the versions of the iOS that it has saved SHSH blobs. Also by going into Cydia it should save your iOS 4.3.3 blobs so then you can then use Tiny Umbrella to restore the phone back to 4.3.3. Just do a search on how to downgrade the iOS, it will be the same procedure.

Thanks for the reply, but I most likely screwed up. Before I got your latest update I had gone ahead and attempted to do the restore using a downloaded 4.3.3 without saving anything through Cydia or using TinyUmbrella. The restore acted like it was working, it applied and almost all of the way through final verification, and then gave me the error:

The iphone could not be restored. An unknown error occurred 1.

I've looked that one up and someone had posted a way to get around that but using Redsn0w, but RedSn0w needs the phone in DFU mode and then powered off. But if I connect my phone to the computer I can't power it off any more. Pressing and holding the power button simply causes it to reboot and go back into DFU mode. So I'm basically stuck in DFU mode. I can attempt a restore via iTunes with the mode it's in but I go reboot it back to where I was. Any idea of the best way to progress at this point? If need be I'll go to ios5 (and hopefully I can if need be) but I was hoping to unlock it for selling. Of course at some point ios5 will be made unlockable, but I'd really like to sell it now. I'm open to any suggestions you might have at this point.

porksoda

Nov 4, 2010
Visit site
similar thing happened to me... i rushed off to restore to 4.3.3 and after i ran it i had forgotten about that apple signage and TU.

Basically i restored it through another computer to ios5 and sold it.

If your buyer wants 4.3.3 i am not 100% but i think you should be able to ios5 and as long as you have your blobs saved you can revert to 4.3.3.

Right now your phone has no firmware on it it wiped it and was unable to install the firmware so it will always be stuck in the same loop unless you put a signed ios on it and/or run tinnyumbrella and try to restore it via itunes with shift+click restore.

Peligro911

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
Tiny umbrella will act as a server and sign your 4.3.3 blobs for the restore .. Try opening tu and kicking your phone out of dfu see if it boots to your 4.3.3 .. The process is really not hard just google how to downgrade

js0873xx

Oct 16, 2011
Visit site
Since I screwed up my phone I'm just trying to make sure I do my wife's phone properly. Here's the steps I'll take to wipe it out, re-install 4.3.3, and unlock it:

1) Run TU to save the SHSH (done - it shows in TU now that I unchecked the Cydia option in the advanced settings).
2) Download 4.3.3 (done)
3) Start TSS Server in TU
4) Do a restore in iTunes and do a shift-click and point to 4.3.3
5) Then jailbreak/unlock after it restores

Does all that sound right? Did I miss anything?

js0873xx

Oct 16, 2011
Visit site
Maybe someone can help because I can't get a custom restore to work. Here's what I'm doing ...

I run TU and save the SHSH
I start the TSS server
I do a Shift-Click restore in iTunes and point to my 4.3.3 IPSW
It starts but basically stays in "Preparing iPhone For Restore" mode with the DFU display on the phone for several minutes
It eventually comes back with a "unable to restore 1604 error"

This happens on 2 different PCs. Any idea how to get this running?

Peligro911

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
In advanced setting in tu isn't there check marks for it to point to Cydia for the blobs ? Maybe your missing a setting in tu

Sent Into Orbit from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2