Greenpoison not working to jailbreak 3GS on 4.2.1!!

Go Android!

Jan 10, 2011
Visit site
Sorry for my username, I have an Evo. So i'm not familiar w/ the iOS ecosystem and whatnot. I'm great with rooting, custom ROMs and that stuff on Android though.

So I'm jailbreaking a friend's Iphone 3GS on 4.2.1 and Greenposion and Redsnow will not work no matter what. Greenpoison won't recognize the Iphone is DFU mode. I'm sure I'm getting the phone into DFU mode. Redsnow recognizes the Iphone but gets stuck on "rebooting device." I tried on my Windows 7 laptop and my mom's Windows Vista.

I've been trying since Thursday afternoon and no luck. Is there a method of jailbreaking w/out DFU mode? The ultimate goal is to unlock the Iphone to run T-Mobile. Thanks.

myzhi

Dec 15, 2009
Visit site
Nope. Phone needs to be in DFU mode to use the JB exploit. Google some YouTube video to help you.

And, to install firmware other than the current, 4.3, you need to have saved old SHSH blobs to get pass Apple's security check or else ITunes will not allow you to restore. Thus, if you want to restore to 4.2.1, do you have 4.2.1 SHSH blobs saved?

Also, it's mostly likely the phone will need to installed the hacked 6.15 iPad baseband to unlock. Before doing that, you should be aware of known issues with doing that.

Reactions: Go Android!

Go Android!

Jan 10, 2011
Visit site
Nope. Phone needs to be in DFU mode to use the JB exploit. Google some YouTube video to help you.

And, to install firmware other than the current, 4.3, you need to have saved old SHSH blobs to get pass Apple's security check or else ITunes will not allow you to restore. Thus, if you want to restore to 4.2.1, do you have 4.2.1 SHSH blobs saved?

Also, it's mostly likely the phone will need to installed the hacked 6.15 iPad baseband to unlock. Before doing that, you should be aware of known issues with doing that.

The phone is in DFU mode. But Greenpoison and Redsnow isn't recognizing it. Itunes recognized it in recovery mode though. I don't understand what the problem is. I've done it 30-50 times. I thought maybe it was the drivers, so i uninstalled, reinstalled them and still didn't work.

The phone was working fine on T-Mobile before until it was restored 2 weeks ago. Now it's on 4.2.1. I'm not familiar with baseband at all so no I don't know the issues...

myzhi

Dec 15, 2009
Visit site
When trying to put the phone in DFU mode, did you end up with a totally black screen?

The baseband is what decides if phone can be unlock or not. If phone was updated to 4.2.1 which also updates the baseband to 5.15, the phone can't be unlock with that baseband. Thus, the need to install the hacked 6.15 iPad baseband.

Reactions: Go Android!

Go Android!

Jan 10, 2011
Visit site
When trying to put the phone in DFU mode, did you end up with a totally black screen?

The baseband is what decides if phone can be unlock or not. If phone was updated to 4.2.1 which also updates the baseband to 5.15, the phone can't be unlock with that baseband. Thus, the need to install the hacked 6.15 iPad baseband.

The phone flashes black doing into DFU mode. Not a normal screen off thing, but a quick white light then the screen goes off. After that, I release the power button while still holding the sleep button. Then after 10 seconds, I hear the phone connect to the computer again. I've tried the Youtube videos and I'm doing the exact same thing. I've Googled the problem and lots of people are experiencing it, but no one has the answer. :(

And it looks like the phone is running 5.15. So many obstacles!!

Honestly, I'm not sure if there is anything anyone can do to help. Sigh.

Ipheuria

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
You need to put the iPad baseband on the phone to get to unlock it. You didn't answer if the shsh blobs have been saved? When you're restoring an iPhone iTunes connects to Apple for authorization to restore the firmware. Apple has stopped signing/authorizing 4.2. So if the 4.2 SHSH blobs are saved the blobs are the authorization keys assigned to the phone when it was loaded with 4.2 search in the forums for Tiny Umbrella since the phone is now on 4.2 you may still be able to save the blobs. Also search for blobs and look for BLiNK's thread with a link about downgrading the firmware. You don't need to downgrade but you will need to edit your hosts file so that your iTunes so that it doesn't go to Apple's servers for authorization. Also go to iClarified - Apple News and Tutorials and look at tutorials, iPhone, jailbreak and look for the method to put the iPad baseband on the phone. You should be sure of the consequences before you do it there will be no more Apple warranty and you wont ever be able to unjailbreak aka run stock firmware. If you need more help email me we've talked before, PM me or add me on twitter. The JB is a walk in the park but the fact you need to unlock makes it a bit more complicated.

Aug 8, 2011
Visit site
I'm having a similar problem. I have a 3G running 4.2.1 and I'm trying to jb. I have tried greenpois0n (Windows XP) and after going through the countdown for DFU mode it gives me a button to "try again" and will not recognize the phone is in DFU mode (device screen is black). Ok so after repeating that with no success I tried redsn0w. Redsn0w appeared to work but as the phone was rebooting it hangs on the Apple logo for quite sometime. I then have to put the phone in recovery mode and restore with iTunes. I tried that multiple times but everytime it would get right back to the Apple and hang up. I tried several different versions and links for redsn0w but everytime I get stuck. Anyone have any suggestions?

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2