battery all of a sudden...pants

Bashy

Oct 19, 2009
Visit site
battery all of a sudden...S**t

Over the last 2 days I have noticed that my battery life is extremely poor.
There are a couple of things I have installed in the last couple of days.
1. OpenSSH
2. I loaded quite a few winterboard themes on via WinSCP (only have 1 running at anytime)
3. Finger physics

I plugged the iphone into charge yesterday when it was 28% left. The instant i plugged it in, the battery shot up to 36% ???
I left it on charge until it was 100%, then unplugged it.
I woke up this morning and it was on 61%.
I've installed backgrounder this morning and it only shows phone running.
It now has 26% left.
Previous to this it wasn't too bad.

Please help.

PS. My 3GS is only about 6 weeks old.

Last edited:

Bashy

Oct 19, 2009
Visit site
I've also reinstalled the original winterboard theme I had running (which I've had for the last 6 weeks) Iwood Realize. I've also turned off SSH via Bossprefs. Also turned off push email setting last night before finished charging

lowridinguy

Sep 19, 2009
Visit site
I would re-boot the iphone (home & power button) in case one of the programs is still running (memory leak) causing a battery drain.

Bashy

Oct 19, 2009
Visit site
I would re-boot the iphone (home & power button) in case one of the programs is still running (memory leak) causing a battery drain.

I have pressed in the home and power button and a notice comes up to slide to power off. Is this a reboot?

I've also installed SBsettings and under procesess, it says phone and ipod is running.
Can I delete them in the processes section or will that delete the features

P.S. Finger physics is a game and when you exit, it exits it (I think).
I've installed backgrounder and according to that the only programs that are running are phone and ipod (don't know why)

Hack-My-i

Aug 24, 2009
Visit site
this is one con to JBing...i bet if u restored back to factory you will find your battery to be "considerably" back to normal

Bashy

Oct 19, 2009
Visit site
this is one con to JBing...i bet if u restored back to factory you will find your battery to be "considerably" back to normal
Do you think it's cos I have about 190 apps on the iphone (a lot of them are silly little things like soundboards). What about all the winterboard themes I put on there? How can I delete them off?

Hack-My-i

Aug 24, 2009
Visit site
and ALSO...u should think about getting "SBSettings" via Cydia...u can kill processes u dont want running, hide any icons, free memory on your device...all in one, its like having "Task List" from a PC on your phone! Its a must have IMO!!

Bashy

Oct 19, 2009
Visit site
yeah, have that (SBS) phone and ipod constantly running (they're the only things). When I click delete, phone just keeps coming back again...is this correct.
Why is the ipod running, I;m not using it

Ipheuria

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
SBSettings is better than Bossprefs although they do pretty much the same thing except that SBSettings has a drop down menu. You didn't mention if you turned off SSH after you installed it. SSH is HUNGRY and if you hadn't turned it off that may have been the cause of your battery drainage. So search and make sure you change your SSH password and ensure you turn off SSH whenever you are not using it from now on. You can delete the processes they will reappear the next time you run them they are just in memory.

MustangLife

Oct 30, 2009
Visit site
and ALSO...u should think about getting "SBSettings" via Cydia...u can kill processes u dont want running, hide any icons, free memory on your device...all in one, its like having "Task List" from a PC on your phone! Its a must have IMO!!

2nd that. You can get a SBSetting toggle also, makes it so much more convenient. You can check processes like loudrims said and close them. Remember IPod,mail, etc have a backgrounder built into them and always run. Which also kill the battery.

You didn't mention if you have bluetooth,3g,wifi, push, etc on or not.

Josh

Bashy

Oct 19, 2009
Visit site
Thanks guys. Over the last couple of days have changed a few things.
I've uninstalled openSSH and am turning off 3G when I'm at home with WiFi. I don't leave Bluetooth on when at home, only in the car. I've turned off push notifications.
I fully charged the battery when I went to bed last night and this morning have 98% left...think I've got to the bottom of it.
Only used SSH to install the downloaded winterboard themes via windows.
If I need it again, I'll install it again.
I did play monopoly on the phone for about an hour and it used about 40% of the battery...is this normal??

Thanks everyone for their advice, but it the problem appears to have been overcome.
Cheers

mgregg99

Aug 4, 2009
Visit site
The other day I started having issues with my 3Gs. I purchased a new PC with Win 7 Pro installed and proceeded with the process of installing my software. I installed the latest version of iTunes and got my music and apps set up so I could use the new PC to sync my phone. I only had to add some artwork back onto some mp3s, but everything else went smoothly. I then installed iPhonebrowser.

The first time I attempted to use iPhonebrowser the program crashed when I plugged in my iPhone. I did a quick Google search to see if there was an issue with Win 7. Sure enough, version 1.93 Beta seemed to be what everyone was using to get it to work. No problem. I downloaded and installed it and everything was fine after that.

I noticed soon after that my iPhone's battery indicator was showing very little power remaining even after a full night of sitting on the charger. Charging via USB on the PC or plugging it into the wall didn't seem to provide any difference. After trying different variations of having the phone powered off, on with the screen off, with or without WiFi enabled, etc., I found that it would charge better if completely powered off. Also, with the iPhone plugged in with the screen off it would only show an increase in charge if WiFi was disabled.

I also noticed in the car that if the screen were turned on the charger would indicate that the iPhone was charging. If I turned off the screen the indicator would then show that it wasn't charging, or that it was full. Hmmmm...

The charging issue was baffling enough, but then I'd notice that the battery was at 20%, and after surfing the net or playing a game it would then jump up to 30+% without the charger being plugged in. The percentage totals would jump all over the map throughout the day. I'd even get the warning message that power was below 20%, and then a few minutes later it would read 40% or more.

Reboots, etc. didn't seem to make a difference. After a couple of days of wondering if my iPhone was in need of replacement I decided to let the battery completely die down. I started at about 50% and it took several hours of playing a YouTube video over and over again via WiFi to get the battery to die. I then plugged it back into the charger and let it sit overnight. The next day it was at 100% and everything has been working normally ever since.

Long story short, the battery went haywire somewhere along the way. I don't know if it was related to the iPhonebrowser crash, or if it was just coincidence. Either way, draining the battery completely and charging to capacity seems to have fixed the issue.

Mike

Ipheuria

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
Thanks guys. Over the last couple of days have changed a few things.
I've uninstalled openSSH and am turning off 3G when I'm at home with WiFi. I don't leave Bluetooth on when at home, only in the car. I've turned off push notifications.
I fully charged the battery when I went to bed last night and this morning have 98% left...think I've got to the bottom of it.
Only used SSH to install the downloaded winterboard themes via windows.
If I need it again, I'll install it again.
I did play monopoly on the phone for about an hour and it used about 40% of the battery...is this normal??

Thanks everyone for their advice, but it the problem appears to have been overcome.
Cheers

You don't need to un-install and re-install SSH when you need it just get SBSettings like we've suggested and there is a toggle to turn it on and off. So all you have to do is change the root password and then turn it off and you're golden. I could see where the game would suck battery because it uses graphics. I've had the same thing happen when I use native youtube it's video so I just chalk it up to that. I play scrabble and don't notice a huge hit but I'm not playing for an hour though.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
takectrl