Do you have the latest itunes on your computer? Once you see that recovery mode, iTunes should immediately tell you it's detected an iPhone in recovery mode.
    01-05-2010 06:52 AM
    The thing is, I can't even get my phone into recovery mode. Once I let go of the power button after holding both down for 10 secs, the phone automatically restarts itself to the apple logo and then the connect to itunes screen shows up.
    01-06-2010 02:48 AM
    Ok, so I figured out how to get to the DFU mode now, looking at the windows clock really helps.

The iTunes detects the iPhone after a quick restart of iTunes and it says it is in DFU but when I try and restore, it now gives me a 1601 error. Could it be because it is a tethered jailbreak, if so does that mean it is impossible to restore my iPhone? I really hope not.
    01-06-2010 03:17 AM
    This is a problem for me now! I haven't jailbroken yet but if and when i do it will be teathered and I want to be able to restore it if I need to!

Anyone restored a tethered 3gs?
    01-06-2010 10:11 AM
    @iPhone1990
    Just restore in iTunes... When you connect the iPhone with iTunes, you have a button called Restore. Click that and you will start restoring the iPhone. If you want a clean install you need to set the iPhone up as new. You will be asked this when you're done restoring.
    01-06-2010 10:24 AM
    Thats what twiseRRR was doing i thought and it wouldnt restore?

I just dont want to have to restore and then have it not let me!
    01-06-2010 10:30 AM
    as of right now I wouldn't jailbreak a new 3gs I'm having so many problems with restoring it. I'm gonna try my brothers computer to see if it'll work.
    01-06-2010 10:56 AM
    surely loads of people with a new bootrommed 3gs have jailbroken and restored fine?
    01-06-2010 11:38 AM
    Anyone else having my problem with restore?
    01-07-2010 02:43 AM
    figured out the solution, plugged it into my brothers computer and put my phone into DFU mode, restored perfectly. Its amazing that's all it takes after all these hours of researching. We have the same operating system and everything.
    01-08-2010 12:09 AM
    I am dealing with this issue of having to run BR each time I power down or reboot. 4th and 5th serial is 42. Things work fine and I have not lossed anything to date. Running APT and APP for my apps but not sure how they will work as I have not had to use them yet. I am OK with this now, it is just a hassle to have to have laptop or PC available if battery dies or I need to power down. Sent myself an email with the BR DL so I can get it on anywhere I can open email. Should be good to go until there is an alternative. Anyone that has any other info on how or when I will be able to stop dealing with this would be greatly appreciated.
    01-10-2010 07:08 PM
    i had that same problem, and after a while i got fed up and just restored my phone. in my opinion it is probably best to just wait until a updated version of black rain comes out.
    01-12-2010 12:11 PM
    I am dealing with this issue of having to run BR each time I power down or reboot. 4th and 5th serial is 42. Things work fine and I have not lossed anything to date. Running APT and APP for my apps but not sure how they will work as I have not had to use them yet. I am OK with this now, it is just a hassle to have to have laptop or PC available if battery dies or I need to power down. Sent myself an email with the BR DL so I can get it on anywhere I can open email. Should be good to go until there is an alternative. Anyone that has any other info on how or when I will be able to stop dealing with this would be greatly appreciated.
    How did you manage to e-mail yourself the file? Most e-mail clients, either web based or system based (Gmail/Yahoo/Lotus Notes/Outlook) won't allow the e-mailing of an *.exe file, or a *.zip that contains an *.exe file
    01-12-2010 12:33 PM
    Greenchunks... I am a novice in the utmost sense of the word. I have not had to use the emailed form as I have always been with my PC. I saw your post and went to get the attachement from the email and sure enough it had an error. My appologies for the ignorence. Hope I did not get your hopes up too much.
    01-12-2010 01:43 PM
    Greenchunks... I am a novice in the utmost sense of the word. I have not had to use the emailed form as I have always been with my PC. I saw your post and went to get the attachement from the email and sure enough it had an error. My appologies for the ignorence. Hope I did not get your hopes up too much.
    Haha, well glad I could help you out then and shatter your false sense of security. It's easy enough to download if you have internet access and download permissions, so it theoretically should be fine. If the iPhone was more storage friendly, one could store it on a memory card that resides within the phone (like almost every other smartphone made) and then you would only have to put that memory card into whatever computer you so desire and run it. Such is life. Let's just cross our fingers than geohot has already figured out a way around this and is just waiting for OS 3.2 to come out to release it.
    01-12-2010 02:10 PM
    I recently upgraded my firmware on my 3gs not realizing it would take away my jail break.

So believe it or not I bought another 3gs 3.1.2, phone because I need blacklist so badly.

Now the new phone only reboot using blackra1n. Is there a fix to this. The old phone did not require this.

After the reboot using blackra1n it work fine.

Is there is fix somewhere fro this?

Itunes keeps want to install 3.1.3.

Is there a way to get 3.1.2 and reinstall that, will that help the problem?

Any info would be appreciated.
    02-14-2010 11:56 AM
    @gteti there is no fix for this. Your new 3gs has a new bootrom, and the only current solution for jailbreaking is a tethered jailbreak. Which is what you are experiencing. Once the device is restarted or looses power you have to run blackra1n again. What did you do with your old 3gs? What firmware did you update to?
    02-14-2010 12:54 PM
    Hi Guys,

I've run Blackrain on my Iphone 3GS, firmware version 3.1.2 and have successfully installed cydia.

if i disconnect/reconnect my phone to the computer, itunes recognises my phone perfectly.

however if i power down my iphone and disconnect it from the computer, and then i power back up - the usb --> Itunes picture comes up because it wants to be connected to itunes.

When i plug it into the computer, itunes wants to restore my firmware again. The only way to sync back up to itunes is to run blackrain again. Is that right? everytime i power off my iphone i will have to connect it to a computer and run black rain again?

hope someone has answers
    Clean restore and JB again
    02-14-2010 02:47 PM
    I recently upgraded my firmware on my 3gs not realizing it would take away my jail break.

So believe it or not I bought another 3gs 3.1.2, phone because I need blacklist so badly.

Now the new phone only reboot using blackra1n. Is there a fix to this. The old phone did not require this.

After the reboot using blackra1n it work fine.

Is there is fix somewhere fro this?

Itunes keeps want to install 3.1.3.

Is there a way to get 3.1.2 and reinstall that, will that help the problem?

Any info would be appreciated.
    your phones too new, i also had this problem. just restore and we gotta wait till a newer version if blackra1n is released.
    02-15-2010 11:27 AM
    I bought a refurbished 3gs. I saved $50 and I got one of the older models. Not to rub it in...
    02-15-2010 01:17 PM
70 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD