Is there an Idiots Guide to Jailbreaking??

Jun 17, 2009
Visit site
Hey everyone, I'm relatively new to the whole iPhone thing and I was wondering if there is an idiots guide type of write up to jailbreaking? I found a good post on crackberry's forums about how to jailbreak it using purplera1n, but after doing some research I saw that it does not work with 3.01.

So my question to you is, is are there easy to understand, step by step directions on how to jailbreak an iphone 3gs 3.01 using redsn0w?

I'm also really confused on what to do with cydia / icy after the initial jailbreak.

Thanks in advance for the help

Last edited:

Alli

Apr 28, 2009
Visit site
Follow those steps with this changes: make sure you use the ipsw for the 3gs version 3.0 (and not 3.01). Watch Simulcast this Thursday night (8/27) for a special edition on jailbreaking.

leadbyxampl

Nov 20, 2008
Visit site
I too am new to this iphone/jailbreak process. I am a new iphone users that switched in June.
1. I found steps on iclarified, but was not sure if after freshly restoring to the ipsw, if I should then have items setup my iphone with my items, or just proceed with jailbreak process.

2. After jailbreaking, how does one get contacts and other apps back?

Alli

Apr 28, 2009
Visit site
Jailbreaking doesn't remove anything from your phone, so after you jailbreak, the only difference you'll see from before you started the process is the addition of Cydia.

jglowe74

Jun 9, 2009
joshlowe.posterous.com
but when reading the info on the Windows version of this JB, it says "This will NOT work with iPhone 3GS." and the OP is a 3gs user (as am i). so what are our options?? i've used this tutorial to no avail and i've tried Tramain's recommended way. neither worked for me.

BenGillam

Dec 30, 2008
Visit site
i would check out the tutorials on iClarified they are for windows and mac and tell you pretty much everything, JB is very easy and not a black art as some people think

Jun 17, 2009
Visit site
but when reading the info on the Windows version of this JB, it says "This will NOT work with iPhone 3GS." and the OP is a 3gs user (as am i). so what are our options?? i've used this tutorial to no avail and i've tried Tramain's recommended way. neither worked for me.

Jeeze I'm trying to help him out with the way I did it. But I cant post links in the open forum till I have 10 posts, and I cant PM until I have 15..WTF?

Alli

Apr 28, 2009
Visit site
You can jailbreak with redsn0w on a Windows machine. I even did mine using 64 bit Vista (which doesn't usually do diddly!).

It does work with a 3GS, you just have to make sure you grab the 3.0 ipsw file for the 3GS (and not the 3.0.1 file for another model).

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com

Yeah, have had zero time to update the guides. Something I should really do. Same steps basically, just with different files.

I will make the updates when I can.

seanwcom

Aug 27, 2009
Visit site
Hey everyone, I'm playing a bit of catchup here... just got my iPhone last week and have been loving it. I'm ready to jailbreak, but I think what I'm most worried about is losing what I already have setup on my iPhone. I've heard that it doesn't change a thing, but looking through that guide on iClarified makes me think that it's going to do a restore on my phone BEFORE the redsn0w installation.

Can anyone clarify that? And just to be clear, we're talking about a 3GS on 3.0.1. Ultimately I don't mind reinstalling everything, but I sure don't want to. Hehe...

Thanks!

nextjeter2

Jul 15, 2009
Visit site
I have a 3gs running 3.0.1 and jaibroke you will loose nothing. It does not reinstall software just hacks the sotware already on phone

jglowe74

Jun 9, 2009
joshlowe.posterous.com
well, i still haven't figured out MY problem with JBing my 3gs. i found an 'updated' version of redsn0w (version 0.8) that i got off of the devteam's website (Dev-Team Blog - redsn0w in june). tried it, didn't work.

tried the version 0.7.2 as per the instructions on TiPb. didn't work. made sure i was pointing to the 3.0 IPSW and NOT the 3.0.1 version. still didn't work. i get as far as choosing to install Icy or Cydia. i choose Cydia, it installs something then sits at "please wait while your device is being jailbroken. waiting for reboot". 1, 5, 10 minutes go by, no change. i just don't get the problem. how long SHOULD this take??

billyeha66

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
I have the 3gs 3.0.1 also and tried jailbreaking. Had the same problems at first, sat there for almost an hour waiting for it to jailbreak before I finally gave up. I finally tried someone elses suggestion and "googled" "jailbreak 3gs" and followed the directions it gave me. It actually reset my phone to 3.0 and jailbroke it with no problem and it uses iTunes to do all of it. Works great but my question is, should I have reset it to 3.0 and if not then how do I update it to 3.0.1 and keep it jailbroken?

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2